U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2019, 02:57 PM
bUU

11,882 posts, read 8,565,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Actually, I can. And given that you didn't bother to read the conditions of the deal, resorting instead to nebulous rhetoric, you can't.
"Nebulous rhetoric". In other words, I disagree with you. Amazing. So much for anything you have to say.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 06:54 PM

5,223 posts, read 2,160,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
"Nebulous rhetoric". In other words, I disagree with you. Amazing. So much for anything you have to say.

Fine. Actually come up with something substantial that demonstrates that the loss of $27 Billion in tax revenue isn't a hit.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:26 PM

Location: Forest Service Cabin-90% of the yr. Sis & I inherited it and I bought her out.
175 posts, read 50,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I disagree that the other players are terrible at logistics. Amazon is using them too.

I'm just wondering how long Amazon's free shipping model/free 2 day with Prime membership will last. It doesn't make financial sense. It costs real money to ship things. Where is that money coming from?

That delivery driver that drove out to the country to my daughter's farm last Sunday night at 8:30 pm to deliver a $10 book for free? How is Amazon paying for this?
I think many of the drivers don't realize the wear and tear on their car. Slowly that will become fact.

Most don't even make minimum wage.

Yet Many people are disabled or aged, so I suspect that may be who is driving also

Old 03-01-2019, 09:46 PM

18,322 posts, read 7,097,912 times
By mastering logistics, both Amazon & Wal Mart left all foes sniffing for crumbs.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:42 AM

5,223 posts, read 2,160,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
By mastering logistics, both Amazon & Wal Mart left all foes sniffing for crumbs.

Well, logistics is certainly a huge component of their success. But another aspect of it is how they met unfilled needs.

Wal-Mart made its bones in tiny markets, providing quality goods at lower prices with better merchandising than your sleepy mom and pop store. They did business where retailers such as Sears would not deign to go.

So whenever I read some article decrying the traditional small business when Wal-Mart came to these small town, I always want to ask: Did you ever live in those towns? Options were limited and prices were through the roof. So Wal-Mart was a freaking godsend to those communities.

From the time Wal-Mart gets permission to build to the time they have the ribbon cutting, those small town merchants have a couple of years to get their acts together. Yet they never bothered to differentiate themselves. They never really tried to lower their prices. They never really tried to clean up their collective acts.

Small merchants can survive in the age of Wal-Mart and Amazon. But doing so means adhering to higher standards of service to justify their price points. If you need an example, look no further than the local hardware store. Home Depot and Lowe's delivers a wide array of inventory at a low price. So there are times when I'll roam the aisles there picking up lightbulbs and the whatnot.

On the other hand, there are times when a) I don't want to drive across town and b) I need someone to give me the benefit of his expertise. Many is the time I've strolled into my local hardware store holding a photo of a widget on my iPhone. The guy will take one look and say, "I know what you need," and comes back with the product that will do the trick, along with suggestions on how to get the best results. I'll happily pay 20% more for that.

Another trend? Local booksellers have been on the comeback trail. Why? Because they stopped just being a place where you pick up the latest bestseller and instead have become places to meet authors, form book clubs, and a host of other things that form a community.

In other words, all markets divide into low-cost and high-touch. Amazon and Wal-Mart have snagged the lower end. But there will always be a place for the higher-touch, experiential retailer who really is good at creating customer loyalty.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:35 PM

18,322 posts, read 7,097,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post

Another trend? Local booksellers have been on the comeback trail. Why? Because they stopped just being a place where you pick up the latest bestseller and instead have become places to meet authors, form book clubs, and a host of other things that form a community.

In other words, all markets divide into low-cost and high-touch. Amazon and Wal-Mart have snagged the lower end. But there will always be a place for the higher-touch, experiential retailer who really is good at creating customer loyalty.
Well stated. Though my background is manufacturing mgmt., not retail, I always relish opportunities to help them earn price premiums, their version of high touch, justifying being above the market price based on proving you add value.

My town had a local hardware store which burned to the ground a few years ago, but lasted decades after Home Depot & Lowes came around, for the same reason you willingly pay an extra 20%. Their M.O., like my price premium employers, was "We will solve the problems you have that no one else has proven capable of doing".

Old 03-08-2019, 06:11 AM

4,066 posts, read 2,206,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I disagree that the other players are terrible at logistics. Amazon is using them too.

I'm just wondering how long Amazon's free shipping model/free 2 day with Prime membership will last. It doesn't make financial sense. It costs real money to ship things. Where is that money coming from?

That delivery driver that drove out to the country to my daughter's farm last Sunday night at 8:30 pm to deliver a $10 book for free? How is Amazon paying for this?
That was most likely an independent flex driver who was given X number of packages to deliver in Y hours and Z dollars to deliver them. Amazon only cares that they do it in the time frame given.

Here's the life of a flex driver: https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...A8K/story.html

Old Today, 01:11 PM

43 posts, read 6,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Yesterday I ordered an item from Amazon that had free next day shipping. I monitored its progress.

It did not get processed until this morning. It left Chattanooga at around 9 or 10am, and was scanned at an Amazon facility in Smyrna at 4:23pm. Then, it went out for delivery at 5:50pm. I was able to watch exactly where the driver was and knew when he was heading to my house. The package was dropped at my doorstep at 8:23pm.

This was for an item that cost $70 and the shipping was free.

If I wanted it to ship this quickly with UPS, it would have easily cost $35... and I don't know that UPS could even get something to me next day if I didn't order it until 8:30pm the night before.

Amazon is unbelievable. They are definitely mastering logistics. I think it's because they have to, because all the other players are, well, terrible at it.

Once they really perfect everything, I don't see why they couldn't go entirely into the parcel industry. Why wouldn't they start delivering any package from anyone and to anyone for a fee? I think if they did, the service would be better and the price cheaper than UPS or USPS. Maybe they'd only do it for big e-commerce players, who would be responsible for getting everything to an Amazon distribution facility, and then they would handle it from there.

I don't know exactly what it would look like. All I know is UPS, USPS and FedEx better clean up their acts and figure out how to do their jobs better and cheaper.

What do you think? Could Atlanta's own UPS be in real trouble? I think they are.
Ordered 2 humidifiers from amazon, one came in broken. Been 4 days still trying to get it back for a refund! hassle from Amazon and UPS on getting it picked up for return!!!! UPS like all Billion Dollar corporations have turned to poor customer service and Amazon has their service center in India!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business