U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2019, 03:34 PM

362 posts, read 231,269 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm in the process of opening a Diesel Repair Business.

Background:

In-laws and spouse own a very profitable and expanding school bus company. They've mentioned that its been difficult to find in-house mechanics for themselves. In addition to that, its been difficult to find mechanics for other bus companies in town (from word of mouth with the other companies). The thought process would be renting out one of their un-used bays and doing repair work for other diesel vehicles in the surrounding areas.

Step 1: Finding a mechanic for their shop to test out the hiring/retention of mechanic. From there, hire more and etc.

Anyone with familiarity in the diesel repair industry that can provide some other pitfalls/areas to be aware would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 06:01 PM

27,814 posts, read 60,174,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranredd View Post
In-laws and spouse own a very profitable and expanding school bus company.
...been difficult to find in-house mechanics for themselves... other bus companies in town

Step 1: Finding a mechanic for their shop...
And then learning how to be a mechanic from him?
Maybe doing some tech schooling too?

Quote:
I'm in the process of opening a Diesel Repair Business.
This is the part I don't see happening for another 5-10 years at least.
But good luck with it all.

btw... How far do you folks live from a real Diesel Mechanics School?
I'd contact them and ask for information.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:40 AM

362 posts, read 231,269 times
Thanks for the info!

The Diesel Repair School is within about 30 minutes.

The points you bring up have worried me as well. While I can go on and learn to be a Diesel Repair tech (I'm a software consultant), I'd still be a novice. On top of that, I'd be heavily reliant on a more senior person.

My hope of enticing them would be that they haven't started their own business due to infrastructure (which is what I can somewhat provide). Other than that, I'm reliant on their services.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:49 AM

27,814 posts, read 60,174,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranredd View Post
The points you bring up have worried me as well.
They should. The guy turning the wrenches is the CORE of any service business.

You need to find someone with a broad based range of skill and experience; a wide variety
of types of equipment and systems to actually run a shop -not just to work under someone.
That won't come cheap and if you want to avoid the drunks it'll probably require a partnership.

THEN you can look for the kids fresh out of school that can learn the rest.
Look for the "helmets to hard hats" people too.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
21,696 posts, read 38,761,338 times
You seem to want to Manage a diesel repair business, rather than be a diesel mechanic.
That is a very good idea (less greasy fingers and much more money)!!

Do some very serious research as to what makes a successful diesel repair business! (quick, knowledgeably and and dependable help + a place to do business (or hire only mobile mechanics (who are their own bosses for a reason...))

Having a real shop is a plus, but a huge investment of time and money. (I would go the mobile / contract mechanic route) Using customer shop as possible.

There are a lot of ways to research this, but the best data is LOCAL! That is where you will need to be successful.

This is a very 'reputation' based business, so you need to be VERY good, or you will be GONE.

Give it some research,
Put together a business plan.
Run it by some knowledgeable / experienced people in that field.
Present it to a bank.

Be prepared to re-write the plan (a few times).

THEN consider starting the business,

It is worth your effort to do this, a successful business is very possible.

Old 03-11-2019, 04:15 AM

668 posts, read 587,851 times
Maybe just recruit diesel mechanics for companies. It's going to cost you a lot less. Like a staffing agency.

The core problem here is finding the mechanic, not the workshop, tools, etc.

Old Today, 03:02 PM

822 posts, read 1,021,799 times
I just love reading trainwreck in motion stories. And that is what your idea is, a trainwreck in motion.

You have no experience as a business owner. You have no idea of the market you want to operate in, but base the entire idea on the griping of some in-laws, you cannot do the work that the business would be based on (diesel engine repair) and thus need to hire someone to do the actual work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or