U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-31-2019, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
3,860 posts, read 1,096,893 times
Reputation: 3074

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Tesla is an American company. I was not referring to the American worker but rather to an American company that's putting their own workers on the line by not keeping up with progress and reliability.
So not investing billions of dollars into their Michigan plants for the next generation of EVs is not keeping up with progress, i guess you haven’t been following what GM an Ford And FCA are doing have you. They are investing billions of $$$$ into EV vehicles and Autonomous Vehicles, besides their core vehicles. And unlike Tesla they have the ability to make them faster than Tesla.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-31-2019, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
5,872 posts, read 2,072,590 times
Reputation: 9072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And they miss the point of a Tesla.
Which is what, exactly?

A red herring to throw into *every* *single* automotive discussion of any stripe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2019, 02:01 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
1,555 posts, read 2,968,906 times
Reputation: 2202
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Yep if you say so, then all the American automakers are right, you would be happy to see all their workers on the unemployment line right, you’re one hell of a American citizen. Root for the foreign automakers and get rid of the American ones.

Get rid of the UAW and keep the hard working American craftsmen working for the companies that make reliable transportation.

An American doing a great job at a United States Toyota plant is a much better citizen that a union slug, slap dashing together a car at GM!

Even union loving pinko Michael Moore admitted in his film "Roger & Me" that most of the laid off GM workers couldn't even master or even maintain a mundane job like working at Taco Bell. They didn't have a union to bail them out when they screwed up building a burrito!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2019, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
5,872 posts, read 2,072,590 times
Reputation: 9072
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Get rid of the UAW and keep the hard working American craftsmen working for the companies that make reliable transportation.
Can you differentiate between "hard working American craftsmen" and "laborers hired, fired and treated as a generic commodity to further corporate profits, when, as and if needed"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2019, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
3,860 posts, read 1,096,893 times
Reputation: 3074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Can you differentiate between "hard working American craftsmen" and "laborers hired, fired and treated as a generic commodity to further corporate profits, when, as and if needed"?
Forget it this guy hates all unions he sounds like a union buster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2019, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
5,872 posts, read 2,072,590 times
Reputation: 9072
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Forget it this guy hates all unions he sounds like a union buster.
I think it goes beyond that, to complete ignorance of both the pros and cons of unions and a blind worship of both the mythical working man and companies who still employ labor on any terms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2019, 04:14 PM
 
1,455 posts, read 671,134 times
Reputation: 2356
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Yep if you say so, then all the American automakers are right, you would be happy to see all their workers on the unemployment line right, you’re one hell of a American citizen. Root for the foreign automakers and get rid of the American ones.
If GM made cars people wanted to buy, they wouldn't have problems. However, they built crap cars for decades, and deserve what happens. I do not support keeping Americans employed by stupid companies run by stupid management simply because they are Americans. Just like I wouldn't hire my neighbor to build something for me if he is a crappy carpenter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2019, 04:23 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
5,872 posts, read 2,072,590 times
Reputation: 9072
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
If GM made cars people wanted to buy, they wouldn't have problems. However, they built crap cars for decades, and deserve what happens. I do not support keeping Americans employed by stupid companies run by stupid management simply because they are Americans. Just like I wouldn't hire my neighbor to build something for me if he is a crappy carpenter.
So GM should fire everyone because they build second-rate cars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2019, 05:01 PM
 
27,813 posts, read 39,261,097 times
Reputation: 36059
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
But if it were Tesla everyone would be congratulating them but since it’s GM then let’s boohoo them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Hoo boy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I dunno, I think he has a point. That's the problem with companies that become darlings, from Apple to Google to Tesla to Uber: they can do no wrong and their corporate doo-doo piles smell like roses.

GM stopped being any kind of darling a long time ago, except with the blue chip crowd, so it's no surprise they can do nothing right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And there is a large group that bash Tesla no matter what they do. They want them to fail so they can be proven correct. What a lousy attitude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Well, you know, they don't make a truck that can haul a ton of gravel and a horse trailer 1,000 miles up the spine of the Rockies without a stop. So what good are they?

People who bash Tesla don't tend to invest in them. Moot point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And they miss the point of a Tesla. They score a total miss for understanding the difference and the reason for the difference.

Being dense is one thing. Trying to make a point by being dense must really be embarrassing.

But I understand their defensive posture. If they are afraid of new things they must attack. Kind of like when cars first appeared and those with horses went ballistic.

Reminds me of Luddites.
The partial quote you pulled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And they miss the point of a Tesla.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Which is what, exactly?

A red herring to throw into *every* *single* automotive discussion of any stripe?
No. A post for you to use to cherry pick a comment from instead of re-posting the entire comment. Simple dodge on your part.

Let's put the entire set of posts here and see what you just tried to do.

You pulled a single sentence from mine to try to make a point without referencing the reason for the comment. You avoided the prior comments about a Tesla not being able to pull a ton of gravel and a horse trailer up a mountain.

And I will repeat: Those who make comments like that are missing the point of a Tesla. They are not designed to do those things and if you are bashing them because of that you are, to quote you, using
Quote:
A red herring to throw into *every* *single* automotive discussion of any stripe?
I stand by my Luddite comment.

Quote:
Lud·dite

/ˈlədˌīt/

noun
noun: Luddite; plural noun: Luddites

  1. 1.
    derogatory
    a person opposed to new technology or ways of working.
    "a small-minded Luddite resisting progress"
I also stand by my comment that I would not buy an EV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2019, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
5,872 posts, read 2,072,590 times
Reputation: 9072
So, which is it, perfesser... are we all Luddites because we don't think Tesla has enough runway to achieve liftoff (despite any technological marveliciousness), or are you a Luddite because you'll never buy one?

You also completely, totally misunderstood my comment. Nothing like flying off the handle at supersonic speed in a wrong, if not completely imaginary direction.

To make it really, really, really clear... absolutely nothing about the OP or most of this thread had a g'damned thing to do with Tesla. But sure as shootin' someone has to ring them in. Red herring nonsense that just can't be escaped even if the OP is about Model T's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top