Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 09:16 PM

45 posts, read 29,713 times

Advertisements

This info is listed on two websites- Date of start ,his name, name of charity, address, & EIN number. Another website claims they get their info from public records.Ignored at first but just went back out of curiosity. It is true.

After 3 yrs we enjoyed a recent visit having a delicious lunch at the exact address of this charity. The only commercial building in the town of 70 fun timers. Other 50% are vacation home owners. The owner just happens to be this con mans only friend.

This con man is the. most hated man in this town. We'd hear all about him. He was In Prison for 20 -25 years, he lives like the Unabomber on the outskirts of town in a broken down trailer with no access to water in the woods. A Recluse. No electricity (unless it's solar) He bathes at the river. He often looks unkept and many are afraid of him. He once threatened the Fire chief (Female) And others from time to time. His mugshot and crimes are online so we read about him (mugshots.com, etc) and the townsfolk already let us know his criminal background.

I don't understand how he can be the head of a charity???
It's called" Rural Mountain Food Bank, or something close to that.
I am deliberately changing the first two words. It lists as a charity and an EIN number.
Another website has it listed too claiming to get the info from pubic records.
Are felons allowed to own charities?

I suspect they are somehow trying to use the county food bank to be the transporter of the food so he can have first pick?

But he started a charity, how much does this cost? The only friend he has in town is a woman who owns the only commercial building in town which acts as many things, including the restaurant. She stopped in and said hi , she used to didn't like us because we told this criminal off. He's full of BS imho. She isn't a criminal but her entire family is.

I can contact our county and they will not participate with him, I am sure. But do not want them to stop delivering the food as there are many poor in the town. Want to understand the logistics first. We'll be up this weekend so can ask about the food bank.We are starting to build a home there.

The charity started last year so there is some scam brewing....but this seems an awful lot of work for just first dibs on the food bank food?

Last edited by SemiRetiredAt60; 05-18-2019 at 09:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 10:13 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
I assume there are responsible authorities involved here, somewhere, overseeing the business, the nonprofit, the donations, etc.?

Old 05-18-2019, 11:48 PM

I have no idea but something occurred to me.

Food banks get donations. My guess is, they are in ca-hoots getting donations for their charity explaining they are the food bank stop. Which is true. But how can a California felon own a non-profit charity? He is the "agent for service process"and this is not his address.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:57 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
As far as I know, felons can work at charities. No one 'owns' a charity. He's the organizer.

Actually, it sounds to me like he is very eligible to receive food from the food bank. are other low income people benefiting by getting food that they would have a difficult time affording?

There really isn't any money to be made by running a food bank. Maybe he needed one and no one else would step up an volunteer to do all the work.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:01 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I've volunteered at a food bank and the volunteers get first choice (with amounts limited) in order to encourage them to volunteer.

It's work. There is heavy lifting and cleaning, and some of the clients are unpleasant. There is nothing wrong with giving the volunteers a little sweetener for doing an unpleasant job without pay. If he is taking first choice and only taking what he will use for himself, I wouldn't complain about it, unless you yourself are willing to take on the full time running of the food bank.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:07 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
How did you find out all this info?

You can contact your state attorney generals office to have them look into tax-exempt or incorporation documents, who the registered agent is, etc.

But if you're just moving in, making false accusations would not be the best way to make friends.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:57 AM

A county wide program with volunteers in each town bring up food each week to this smalll town location and another remote town. Their work is what this fake charity is claiming to do. They have the exact same address of the drop off food location. Have they actually done this yet? I don't know.

Make no mistake, this criminal isn't volunteering for anything. Not that he wouldn't volunteer, dunno.

He doesn't have the social or mental skills to pull this off. Putting together a non-profit.

From my view, he is very insecure and likely mentally slow. He can write fairly well so maybe I am mistaken about his intellect. We harbor no resentment against him and have no issues with him whatsoever. He's tried t pick on me but I tell people off immediately. Not scared, usually, so he doesn't bother us. I intimidate him. He didn't care for my put downs and others laughing at him. His behavior dictates others being mean to him but some in town are so vindictive to anyone with a criminal past the result would've been close to the same anyhow. He cannot win even if he is nice, which is so sad. People need to forgive and we are not others judges.

Also my error, it's an entity number per the website. Not sure if that is the same thing as an EIN number

They are, as their own food bank, likely pretending to be doing their other charity (food banks) works. The address they have on record is the FOOD BANK DROP address for the county affiliated food bank. Being it is one of four commercial buildings in town, they can use that as the reason but he doesn't live there. Not many drop offs. He has his own address.

One non-profit Food bank is the entity for the entire county. We do not need another food bank, especially in a small town of about 60 full timers with 10 poor people. The current food bank which comes up monthly give SO MUCH food since it's their last stop, they do not bring any food back home.

Again, he is NOT volunteering. He created a non profit food bank on paper, listed the drop off address of where the usual food bank does monthly drop offs, as HIS HOME Address. He has his own home address and PO Box. I forgot, there are actually 3 commercial buildings in town but the donut shop, and other shop, is closed.

After listening to a Sermon, I realized it's really none of my business and it's best I keep out anyhow. We are building a home in this town so want to remain laying low. There is a reason it is an inexpensive place to live so part of my gratitude, is to the criminals who keep it from growing. That's sarcasm of course but the inevitable result.

It's not my job to police the world, but my curiosity is peaked so do wonder how the scam would unfold. No more concerns, it's not my business anyhow

Last edited by SemiRetiredAt60; 05-19-2019 at 12:03 PM..

Old 05-19-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
How did you find out all this info?

You can contact your state attorney generals office to have them look into tax-exempt or incorporation documents, who the registered agent is, etc.

[b]But if you're just moving in, making false accusations would not be the best way to make friends.
Our contractor told us about his church bringing up the food bank food. I thought it would be nice to go to church with him, maybe volunteer.

Left food bank or such words in the box when onto googling the other criminal, to see if he was still in the town. He has a violent past.
Somehow it came up with him being the one who started a food bank.

There are no false accusations so not sure what you mean. As stated it is just a fear that taking credit for the works of the other food bank as your own as the head of Mountain Food bank, is wrong. It is likely they are already scamming people, sure. Something sleazy is happening or was intended. The town has 60 full timers, one food bank is more than enough. In fact, due to the remoteness of the town and it being the last stop, they get more food than any other town. They leave the entire amount.

My guess is they were going to pretend to be this food bank, then try to get cash donations.Clearly a second food bank isn't needed for 10 poor folks and 60 full timers. This is not my problem so shouldn't have started the thread. Thanks for the tip about the state attorney generals office. Eventually if they are soliciting cash donations and keeping it as there is no second food bank needed it will be brought to light

Last edited by SemiRetiredAt60; 05-19-2019 at 12:06 PM..

Old 05-19-2019, 11:44 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
I'm sure your concern is sincere, but you haven't established much besides the fact that you really don't like this person and think they're a poor choice to be involved with this charity network. Since this kind of effort does involve a certain degree of official application, approval, oversight and cooperation from city and state authorities, you are either overstating the person's 'evilness' or understating how he's bamboozled everyone except you.

No way to know which from subjective posts.

Old 05-19-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I've volunteered at a food bank and the volunteers get first choice (with amounts limited) in order to encourage them to volunteer.

It's work. There is heavy lifting and cleaning, and some of the clients are unpleasant. There is nothing wrong with giving the volunteers a little sweetener for doing an unpleasant job without pay. If he is taking first choice and only taking what he will use for himself, I wouldn't complain about it, unless you yourself are willing to take on the full time running of the food bank.
He doesn't volunteer. That takes social skills. He has a non-profit on paper, which has the address of where the County or an affiliate, food bank regularly drops off food. I think he'd enjoy it but has had so many alienate him he would't try it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business