Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 07:09 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times

Advertisements

I have created a very innovative high capacity transport system that I believe to be a new concept.

How do I (without having very much money of my own):

Protect the idea (cannot afford a patent lawyer or search)

Raise the capital to develop the actual models and prototypes (see lack of money)

Attract big investors to actually build a transcontinental system.

I am thinking big on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 08:28 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
I would find a non disclosure agreement form, find a law professor at the best university in your area and see if you can sit with him and find out your options. Of course not before having him sign. Universities are a great resource for stuff like this.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:29 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,372,728 times
You can patent this without a lawyer - takes some leg work but you can do it. Find out if patents exist first.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:35 AM

281 posts, read 1,054,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
You can patent this without a lawyer - takes some leg work but you can do it. Find out if patents exist first.

Clark Howard has an excent resource on this subject on his website.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:04 AM

955 posts, read 2,157,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have created a very innovative high capacity transport system that I believe to be a new concept.

How do I (without having very much money of my own):

Raise the capital to develop the actual models and prototypes (see lack of money)

Good posts on protecting your concept. That should be first. Regarding funding, be prepared to share a big portion of the proceeds - in some form, whether as partner in the endeavour, major stockholder, etc. Investors are not going to take a big risk with capital to make you money without getting a big piece of the action.

Check out Angel Investors, local politicians, Chamber of Commerce, etc. to see level of support.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:31 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,847,329 times
I don't think the patent should be too much of an issue. The problem I foresee with what you want to do is getting the capital for the prototype. I have a deal I am putting together that involves a new hybrid vehicle technology. The client needs $3mm, the deal is solid (client has patents, offers from major car companies to buy the patents, an international platform to launch the prototype, etc.) except for the fact that the money is needed to complete the prototype. I am having a little difficulty finding investors that want to invest that kind of money into an intangible. Once the prototype is completed you should have no problem attracting investors, especially if you have contracts in place. If you'd like I can talk to some of my people and see what kind of appetite there is for something like this. Let me know.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:38 PM

739 posts, read 830,478 times
As another poster said, securing the patent shouldn't be difficult. What is difficult, providing your idea has merit and commercial potential, is protecting your patent. Just because you have a patent doesn't mean squat. A larger, better-capitalized producer with greater engineering talent can simply copy your idea, make a few changes to it, and resubmit it for a new patent. And they probably have the ability to get it to market faster. If you do a little research on patents you'll find that manufacturers have to reapply every time they make a small modification to their orginal design.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:31 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,544,169 times
Not dogging you, but have done some variations of this, and this is not really the path by which things are done.

Here is the real deal --

Ideas are cheap. Money is Money. and Work is Work.

A search is free and you can start it yourself. An idea without work is merely daydreaming.

Ford, Wright Bros., Steve Jobs (Apple Computer) and many others did own their prototyping in their garage. (see part about work)

Crawl, walk and then run. Start local and build out.

Share the fantasy.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:04 AM

Phillip T

I can find a patent search website.
I think a very small scale model will prove the concept.
There may be a short distance market for the technology.
I'll share when I have some chance of getting a return off this idea.

Thanks for the help. GregW

Old 04-16-2008, 10:54 AM

Well I looked up the technology and, sad to say, I was not the first to consider this concept. The only difference between my system and the other proposals is sheer size. My idea was for a really high capacity system designed to haul freight.

Looks like I'll keep designing just for grins. I may build a small scale model for my own pleasure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business