Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 08:14 PM

37,138 posts, read 39,394,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
Bingo.

Let's be honest here. Saving time on the commute ,getting ready, not having to deal with coworkers is definitely a major part for some people. Usually for those who were already the top performers.

For many others the reality is that before WFH they were in the office 40-60 hours but less than half of that time was actually work. For a decent amount of these people it may have even been a quarter. So of course for this cohort WFH seems like the best deal ever. Get paid for working 10-15 hours a week in the comfort of ones home. Who wouldn't like that?

If companies do move to permanent WFH things will change drastically. When the company lays off 2 workers and pushes the work into the 3rd so that they have a full 40 hours of work, will that employee love WFH now?

Another major issue is people working 2 WFH jobs. I personally know of cases. Many will say, "why should either company care" if the work is "getting done". But the question becomes if one person can work 2 full time jobs at once, are they really full time jobs? Why not go contract or consolidate 2 roles into one.

The best thing is going to be all the essentially automated logging of data connected to productivity working remote will require.

Also, have you noticed the older people forums love saying bingo with each passing year? Am I just imagining this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2021, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
This post for the crack addicts on here and others who can't use logic and who don't understand how NAFTA encouraged job losses:

Back in 1994, when NAFTA went into effect, the average American autoworker earned about $36 an hour in today’s dollars. The average overseas autoworker earned just $6.65 per hour. U.S. auto companies shifted production overseas to take advantage of this cheap labor, thanks to the pervert Bill Clinton.

In 1994, US auto factories lost about 100,000 jobs to workers overseas and in 2016 this figure became seven to ten times more. This growth came at the expense of American workers. If anyone remembers how Detroit lost so many auto jobs and the city basically became a dump, then they will understand how NAFTA created this mess.

The number of Americans employed at auto factories dropped severely along with their average wages (about $28 per hour), as companies used the threat of outsourcing to bully workers into accepting worse pay.

USMCA attempts to prevent this type of unfair outsourcing. As an example, the deal requires that nearly half of all car parts come from factories paying employees at least $16 an hour by 2023. Cars that don’t meet this threshold will be fined with tariffs. This requirement will effectively force companies to keep jobs in the United States rather than shipping them overseas.

USMCA also mandates that 75 percent of vehicle parts be made in the United States, Mexico, or Canada — otherwise, companies will face tariffs. Thanks to this provision, U.S. firms will have less incentive to source car parts from factories in Asia, where labor is very cheap.

These provisions will also boost demand for American-made products. Using the automobile example from above, USMCA will spur billions worth of investments into the U.S. automotive sector. Those investments will create very good opportunities for American workers. The USMCA is expected to create many manufacturing jobs.

In addition to this, USMCA gives overseas workers the right to unionize and engage in collective bargaining. (Meaning, they are now equal to the American worker and so there is no incentive to go overseas to exploit there workers for cheap money). To ensure that overseas workers enforces these rights, USMCA requires countries who are working with US employers to create independent legal bodies dedicated to settling labor disputes.

The discussion was about offshoring corporate white collar jobs that can be done remotely. You're really outdoing yourself tonight.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:31 PM

6,685 posts, read 6,031,429 times
No, it's about hiring workers from overseas.

Quote:
Ever since NAFTA was enacted in the 1990's, companies can hire workers overseas. So this is nothing new. Except that recently, it was replaced with Trump's USMCA, so if a company chooses to hire overseas, they will be heavily taxed. Not to get political, but I'm very surprised the Dems didn't revoke USMCA.

Put the crack pipe down.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:40 PM

Quote:
No, it's about hiring workers from overseas.

Put the crack pipe down.

Just incredible that you completely missed what the topic title is. Do you know what WFH means? Is that the basic issue?

Old 06-03-2021, 08:45 PM

1,034 posts, read 446,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The best thing is going to be all the essentially automated logging of data connected to productivity working remote will require.

Also, have you noticed the older people forums love saying bingo with each passing year? Am I just imagining this?
I don't think there'll be much data logging to measure productivity.
Those people will be laid off. It'll be much easier to lay people off that WFH.

Showing up to the office is like 50% of the job for many people. I'm not even joking.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:51 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,126,732 times
WFH and a delocalized workforce was predicted a while ago by folks like Arthur C Clarke. He also foresaw that cities would be less likely to remain important as a locus for one on one communications with the advent of something like the Internet.

https://youtu.be/wC3E2qTCIY8

Old 06-03-2021, 08:52 PM

Quote:

Showing up to the office is like 50% of the job for many people. I'm not even joking.

I think working remotely means it's easy by default to log more data on workers with their activities and contributions always being tracked in some way. There's going to be a consulting boom on that in the name of productivity I think.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:54 PM

2,068 posts, read 998,988 times
Quote:

Give me the package! I'm 22 months from my planned retirement announcement. Make my package effective Jan 2 2022 and I'll say, "Thank you very much!"

Old 06-03-2021, 08:54 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
I believe it, I've seen productivity studies that show the average worker only really works a ridiculously small percentage of the time he spends on the job

Old 06-03-2021, 08:57 PM

1,034 posts, read 446,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think working remotely will essentially mean that you can easily log data on workers by default since they need to connect remotely and thus their activities and contributions in some ways are always tracked. There's going to be a consulting boom on that in the name of productivity in the name of productivity I think.
People aren't using personal devices to get work done at work though.

The ONLY jobs that lend themselves to WFH well are those are purely goal based. Basically jobs that are easy to measure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business