Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 12:40 PM

1,299 posts, read 848,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I had a commercial real estate oriented venture. That was the 10 year business.
The longer term one, 24 years, was related to consumer packaging.

I sold both in 2020.
I'm truly impressed with people who start and build businesses from the ground up

I have a decent paying stable job so no urgency to start one [ nor do I mind working for someone else], infact when I orient new people I tell them bluntly "you will be just another brick in the wall, a cog in the wheel, follow the guidelines and don't make waves"

But the real impetus for this has been that I have made some prototypes of devices /with provisional patents and was looking to get them in production /market them. This started as a hobby and just because of a need I identified in my field and was encouraged by some friends to pursue this further.

But now that the fun part is over , the "boring" part marketing, legal issues, dealing with production , regulation etc etc is what I have in store. So I was not sure whether it will be even worth pursuing it , I feel [and to those whom I have shared this with ] feel like these devices are simple practical and useful.Ofcourse I'm biased and obviously anyone in my position will probably feel the same.

SO I was trying to take the lazy approach of letting family members handle those parts and they can keep the lion share of the profits as long as they give me a small cut [ this is a big IF they are successsful ! ].Most likely this will just fizzle out be just another list of patents that never saw the light of the day.However for the very small chance it will be successful I could atleast get part of the profit w/o putting in too much time and effort into it.

what do you guys think ? any suggestions ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2021, 01:01 PM

2,471 posts, read 2,690,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
I'm truly impressed with people who start and build businesses from the ground up

I have a decent paying stable job so no urgency to start one [ nor do I mind working for someone else], infact when I orient new people I tell them bluntly "you will be just another brick in the wall, a cog in the wheel, follow the guidelines and don't make waves"

But the real impetus for this has been that I have made some prototypes of devices /with provisional patents and was looking to get them in production /market them. This started as a hobby and just because of a need I identified in my field and was encouraged by some friends to pursue this further.

But now that the fun part is over , the "boring" part marketing, legal issues, dealing with production , regulation etc etc is what I have in store. So I was not sure whether it will be even worth pursuing it , I feel [and to those whom I have shared this with ] feel like these devices are simple practical and useful.Ofcourse I'm biased and obviously anyone in my position will probably feel the same.

SO I was trying to take the lazy approach of letting family members handle those parts and they can keep the lion share of the profits as long as they give me a small cut [ this is a big IF they are successsful ! ].Most likely this will just fizzle out be just another list of patents that never saw the light of the day.However for the very small chance it will be successful I could atleast get part of the profit w/o putting in too much time and effort into it.

Have you considering licensing to someone already in the space? You’ll get paid on every one they sell and do little.

Old 08-15-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Have you considering licensing to someone already in the space? You’ll get paid on every one they sell and do little.
like get a non disclosure agreement , offer them the patent ?

Old 08-16-2021, 09:43 AM

9,846 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
If you have a small office building does that help with deducting rents

Business credit cards are they easier to apply for with higher lines of credit?

What was your driving force that makes you a business owner and How did you find the patient and the skills to overcome the initial obstacles
You are looking at these deductions like they are a benefit to you. They are not.

As a business owner, you don't pay tax on things you buy for the business - that tax is paid by the company you purchased it from.

Example - you pay office rent to ABC Leasing. You don't pay tax on the rent because you don't have that money anymore, you paid it to ABC. They pay tax on it. Same with inventory, advertising, equipment, etc.

In general, you only pay income taxes on the money you have left after paying all your business expenses.

Getting credit for the business is NOT easier than personal credit. It's the same when you start.

My family is full of entrepreneurs, we grew up with the ups and downs, long hours, waiting for customers to pay, stressing because payroll or payroll taxes were due, etc. I think you're born with the ability to take that level of risk and willingness to work 70-80 hours a week when necessary.

Old 08-16-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:

Family - no one wants to work for free for very long, everyone thinks they're doing more than the other person, it's never fair, it's someone else's fault, and on and on. This is your baby.

I don't know what to tell you. I brought one new product to market in the 80's with lots of hard work, no one helped me for free, and it lasted a few years until the Chinese started providing it at a fraction of the cost.

If you don't want the headaches, reach out and see if you can sell your idea to someone in your industry. It's very rare to be able to build a business with just one product.

Old 08-16-2021, 06:24 PM

2,471 posts, read 2,690,365 times
Quote:
like get a non disclosure agreement , offer them the patent ?
I would consult a licensing attorney.

Old 08-16-2021, 08:33 PM

8,658 posts, read 3,851,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I don't think entrepreneurs start businesses based on a pro/con list. I believe they start businesses because of their passion for it.

If you have to think about it very hard, you're probably not a real entrepreneur.
I agree, although I would also add aptitude. Per the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there is a 70% fail rate of small businesses within a decade.

Old 08-20-2021, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Family - no one wants to work for free for very long, everyone thinks they're doing more than the other person, it's never fair, it's someone else's fault, and on and on. This is your baby.

I don't know what to tell you. I brought one new product to market in the 80's with lots of hard work, no one helped me for free, and it lasted a few years until the Chinese started providing it at a fraction of the cost.

If you don't want the headaches, reach out and see if you can sell your idea to someone in your industry. It's very rare to be able to build a business with just one product.
I thought about that but is a NDA really effective? someone might copy the same idea
esp as they have much deeper pcokets and afford to pay attorneys to back them up

Old 08-20-2021, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
You are looking at these deductions like they are a benefit to you. They are not.

As a business owner, you don't pay tax on things you buy for the business - that tax is paid by the company you purchased it from.

Example - you pay office rent to ABC Leasing. You don't pay tax on the rent because you don't have that money anymore, you paid it to ABC. They pay tax on it. Same with inventory, advertising, equipment, etc.

In general, you only pay income taxes on the money you have left after paying all your business expenses.

Getting credit for the business is NOT easier than personal credit. It's the same when you start.

My family is full of entrepreneurs, we grew up with the ups and downs, long hours, waiting for customers to pay, stressing because payroll or payroll taxes were due, etc. I think you're born with the ability to take that level of risk and willingness to work 70-80 hours a week when necessary.
isnt that a BIG benefit , my taxes on my W2 are deducted BEFORE I pay any expenses

Old 08-20-2021, 04:16 PM

Quote:
isnt that a BIG benefit , my taxes on my W2 are deducted BEFORE I pay any expenses
No. "You" are not a business.

Maybe you should take some intro to business classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business