Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2022, 05:49 AM

4,141 posts, read 3,050,632 times

Advertisements

I'm greatly concerned about Mary Barra's push to make GM all electric by 2035. Once they stop updating their ICE vehicles, they will no longer be competitive with other vehicle producers who continue to produce and update ICE vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2022, 02:43 PM

9,980 posts, read 5,677,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I'm greatly concerned about Mary Barra's push to make GM all electric by 2035. Once they stop updating their ICE vehicles, they will no longer be competitive with other vehicle producers who continue to produce and update ICE vehicles.
GM has pretty much retreated from the world market anyway, with some 80% of its sales coming from China and the US alone. With China going full ICE ban by 2035 and CARB leading much of the US by its nose down the same path by the same time frame, it makes sense for GM to be all-in for EV by then.

Old 09-27-2022, 02:52 PM

19,023 posts, read 14,201,797 times
GM makes more profit from their "bank" (GMAC) than selling vehicles.
Frankly, "what's good for GM is NOT good for America."
GM was instrumental in destroying America's premier urban and interurban electric rail network. That's a fact, Jack. They were found guilty but only fined $1. (Argh)
But they were aided by other corporations and colluded with local government officials, so there's plenty of blame to spread around.
It's ironic now that communities are "rediscovering" the advantages of rail based transit - and spending $$$ to build / rebuild the lost rights of way... or dig tunnels for subways.
Maybe GM should be sold off and the funds used to rebuild all those electric streetcar lines.

Old 09-28-2022, 07:34 AM

8,662 posts, read 3,863,988 times
Quote:
It’s a push toward the inevitable; they’ll be positioned more competitively early-on i.e. it’s better to be at the front of (or at least with) the pack rather than dragging behind, particularly relative to their proprietary Ultium platform. In fact, they (together with LG Energy) are currently in the midst of building four battery cell plants in the US - first up, Ohio.

Old 09-28-2022, 08:23 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
People don't want to spend money on ICE vehicles if they might be told someday they must drive an EV. I was ready to spend over 40 - 50 grand on a new SUV, but not with the progressives running the show, I'm keeping my old SUV's until they die.
Which there is ZERO evidence of. Sure, states are mandating that only EV's are SOLD down the road. But there is no outright ban of using an ICE. And even then, these legislations aren't super clear nor are they something that can't be retracted/modified if the infrastructure can't sustain/support it.

But beyond that, no one is saying you can't drive one. And I don't see that happening at all. At least not in the next 15 years. The repercussions would be devastating given that EV's account for like 1% of all cars out there. This will certainly change in 2035 when some of this legislation takes effect. But who knows what the car industry will look like in another 12+ years. It's already changed so much in the last 5 years since the Model 3 came out - really putting EVs in the mainstream.

Quote:
By updating ... you mean? Keeping their product line fresh? Or support for current vehicles on the road? There's not much to update. And there are plenty of parts manufactures for quite sometime. I don't see that being an issue ... at least not any more than any existing cars. Finding parts generally gets harder and harder over time as demand for them falls.

Old 09-29-2022, 05:36 AM

4,141 posts, read 3,050,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Which there is ZERO evidence of. Sure, states are mandating that only EV's are SOLD down the road. But there is no outright ban of using an ICE. And even then, these legislations aren't super clear nor are they something that can't be retracted/modified if the infrastructure can't sustain/support it.

But beyond that, no one is saying you can't drive one. And I don't see that happening at all. At least not in the next 15 years. The repercussions would be devastating given that EV's account for like 1% of all cars out there. This will certainly change in 2035 when some of this legislation takes effect. But who knows what the car industry will look like in another 12+ years. It's already changed so much in the last 5 years since the Model 3 came out - really putting EVs in the mainstream.

By updating ... you mean? Keeping their product line fresh? Or support for current vehicles on the road? There's not much to update. And there are plenty of parts manufactures for quite sometime. I don't see that being an issue ... at least not any more than any existing cars. Finding parts generally gets harder and harder over time as demand for them falls.

By updating, I mean producing state of the art vehicles that are able to compete with other manufacturers who will continue to produce ICE vehicles.

Old 09-29-2022, 05:56 AM

The "state of the art" ICE vehicle, at least passenger vehicles, has more or less reached its peak. The entire industry is turning its R&D resources toward electrification. ICE vehicles will eventually be relegated to developing countries where the current tech will be more than adequate.

Old 09-30-2022, 03:10 PM

3,920 posts, read 6,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Americans are too dumb to realize that GM is basically owned by the Chinese due to bailouts and deal struck with China. What's sad was that our government approved it just to get GM off the government's balance sheet.
I wonder how much of it is American's being too dumb versus GM being tight lipped about it given America's desire to "buy American" especially when it comes to vehicles.

Old 09-30-2022, 03:34 PM

19,783 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Americans are too dumb to realize that GM is basically owned by the Chinese due to bailouts and deal struck with China. What's sad was that our government approved it just to get GM off the government's balance sheet.
What nonsense.

https://money.cnn.com/quote/sharehol...=institutional

Old 10-25-2022, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
It's not "fake news" insomuch as it's factually true GM's net income fell by 40% -- but the shrieking about "going out of business" is straight-up clickbait hysteria. The automotive market has been so volatile over the last two years a 40% drop in net income is hardly surprising. GM has a stockpile of mostly finished inventory waiting for chips to be installed, so that will provide a short-term rebound once they can get them out the door and onto dealer lots. What more, they've been out ahead of the EV curve not just in R&D but locking in raw material supplies, so they're well positioned long-term for the emerging EV market.
Sorry to burst your bubbles, doomsayers...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business