Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2022, 08:22 AM

8,665 posts, read 3,866,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
How come the art of bargaining and walking away disappeared?
It hasn’t disappeared; negotiation is still a huge factor in purchasing real estate and other big-ticket items such as high-end jewelry, electronics, cars/boats, gym memberships and so on. That said, obviously it’s all relative to fair market value and profit margins i.e. know the quality of what you’re buying as well as what you’re willing to pay for it. You always have the choice to walk away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2022, 11:11 AM

3,347 posts, read 2,310,312 times
I guess it still has its place.

Interestingly in my experience in some cultures that vendors who used to encourage haggling seems to be moving away from it.

In China they traditionally used to haggle alot however nowadays or since the 2010s more and more mom and pop shops would angrily say we don't haggle here should they hear their products are too expensive.

For my example it appears 2000s Mexico was haggle away at most mom and pop shops early 2010s some places still do. No price tags anywhere in non chain shops. But in 2018 and later while most shops still don't have written price tags on products they don't appear to want to haggle much at all. The owners will not lower their price they verbally quoted even if you walk to the next shop.

Old 08-19-2022, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
It hasn’t disappeared; negotiation is still a huge factor in purchasing real estate and other big-ticket items such as high-end jewelry, electronics, cars/boats, gym memberships and so on. That said, obviously it’s all relative to fair market value and profit margins i.e. know the quality of what you’re buying as well as what you’re willing to pay for it. You always have the choice to walk away.
Interestingly it used to be Inns which prices were almost never fixed and is always dynamic as long as it stays under the "rack" rate the keeper would often lower the price if you say its pricy or "I will think about it"
Interestingly as I mentioned in an earlier post I heard Shangri LA would sometimes give a 50% discount from its $200 nightly rate if they have empty rooms that night. Tour guides used to teach travelers the tricks of the trade. But the Internet age with third party booking sites seems to have turned the tables on t his one.

Old 08-19-2022, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Interestingly as I mentioned in an earlier post I heard Shangri LA would sometimes give a 50% discount from its $200 nightly rate if they have empty rooms that night.
I’m not certain what your point is here; but a discounted rate (relative to empty rooms) is not the same as negotiation, per your OP. It’s simply a fixed reduced price relative to a sale, so to speak.

Old 08-20-2022, 10:41 AM

https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-...el-room-prices

This strategy worked in many places for a long time. Though I guess hotel rooms were pricy relative to inflation in the old days. But I guess Internet third party sites brought their prices low relative to inflation so there isn't much incentive to win people by lowing the nightly rate relative to third party sites. $i.e a average of $100 a room back in 2000 now costs just $130-$140 a night on average. Except in high tourist traffic spots. Which means it went down relatively.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 08-20-2022 at 10:52 AM..

Old 08-30-2022, 12:10 AM

834 posts, read 528,751 times
I sell collectibles online every day. I don't even reply to the people who ask what my best price is. It's an amateur question. If you're going to make an offer.... make an offer. Be polite about it and make it attractive some other way.

For example: if you want to save $5 per job, offer to prepay the gardner 6 months in advance. Otherwise, you're just taking food off his table for sport.

I actually blame the pawn and picker shows on TV the last 10+ years. It makes peoole think only a sucker would take the first offer. In the real world, good deals have to be POUNCED upon without hesitation or hassle. If you like the price of an item for sale (or the service a gardner provides), secure it before someone else does. You have to assume there is competition.

Old 08-30-2022, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumby88 View Post
For example: if you want to save $5 per job, offer to prepay the gardner 6 months in advance.
It’s one thing to negotiate big-ticket items when one may potentially save thousands i.e. cars, real estate, home automation/security and so on; it’s quite another to quibble over $5/job with a gardner, plumber, window cleaner or any personal service in which one may tip anyway.

I’d rather hire someone who is motivated/capable/consistent (and reward them for such) than one who is willing to discount their work (and likely their effort along with it). The cheapest price is rarely the best price in such a scenario.

Old 09-02-2022, 08:28 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,443,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumby88 View Post
I sell collectibles online every day. I don't even reply to the people who ask what my best price is. It's an amateur question. If you're going to make an offer.... make an offer. Be polite about it and make it attractive some other way.

For example: if you want to save $5 per job, offer to prepay the gardner 6 months in advance. Otherwise, you're just taking food off his table for sport.

I actually blame the pawn and picker shows on TV the last 10+ years. It makes peoole think only a sucker would take the first offer. In the real world, good deals have to be POUNCED upon without hesitation or hassle. If you like the price of an item for sale (or the service a gardner provides), secure it before someone else does. You have to assume there is competition.
I agree with everything you said. For the past 6 months I've been winding down from selling items online and in shop. The aggravating and amateur "best price" question is always met with "Price firm" from me even if the price isn't firm. Once I say "Price Firm" then I stick with it 95% of the time, so it doesn't pay to ask that (Often automated) question. Far better to come out with a reasonable offer and determine if seller is firm or will wiggle a bit. I still sell stuff part time now, but not as good a seller as I used to be, because I'm short with aggravating people. Low offers, inane questions, pushy customers I won't deal with, and I have a huge list of "Blocked" potential buyers...and that's the way I like it. Downside is less sales, but It's worth it to me after I sold off the brick-and-mortar place I no longer need to make a nut.

Old 09-02-2022, 07:12 PM

5,986 posts, read 3,727,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
I agree with everything you said. For the past 6 months I've been winding down from selling items online and in shop. The aggravating and amateur "best price" question is always met with "Price firm" from me even if the price isn't firm. Once I say "Price Firm" then I stick with it 95% of the time, so it doesn't pay to ask that (Often automated) question. Far better to come out with a reasonable offer and determine if seller is firm or will wiggle a bit. I still sell stuff part time now, but not as good a seller as I used to be, because I'm short with aggravating people. Low offers, inane questions, pushy customers I won't deal with, and I have a huge list of "Blocked" potential buyers...and that's the way I like it. Downside is less sales, but It's worth it to me after I sold off the brick-and-mortar place I no longer need to make a nut.
On the rare occasion when I'm selling an item that I no longer want or need (whether it's a house, a car, or shotgun), if someone asks me "What is your best price?", I simply turn the question back to them and ask "What would you give for it?"

Their response will usually let me know if I'm dealing with a serious buyer or a "tire kicker". I haven't committed to ANY price reduction. I've simply asked them what they would give for it. If they make a serious offer, then I consider it and give them a reply usually within a minute or two. If they don't make an offer or mumble some excuse for not making an offer, then I politely thank them and tell them that if they should decide that they ARE interested, then I'd be glad to sell the item to them if I haven't already sold it to someone else.

Old 09-04-2022, 11:32 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,443,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
On the rare occasion when I'm selling an item that I no longer want or need (whether it's a house, a car, or shotgun), if someone asks me "What is your best price?", I simply turn the question back to them and ask "What would you give for it?"

For a time, I also used that line, but I stopped because I found myself engaged in conversations that led nowhere. At least for me, I found the "It's firm" to leave me only with serious buyers. Overall, I've become utterly fed up with annoying people, and would prefer to make fewer sales but deal with people I want to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business