U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2008, 06:58 PM

5,070 posts, read 8,767,266 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about doing a little business on the side. I knew a long time ago, that many people knew little about maintaining their computers, beginning when I was working for a computer company (the production end of it). But I really didn't know why until sometime after I had my own computer that I learned about malware, viruses and so forth.

I learned what programs were good for getting, and keeping the computer clean. I began to wonder if there would be a demand for a service where I would educate people about how to do this, or else do it, myself, if they don't want to mess with it. I could also add RAM (safely) if they need it, as well as to clean out the box with compressed air.

My question is, do you think this is something that will work? My wife is concerned about liability issues, but she is by nature an ultra-cautious person.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 07:08 PM

5,410 posts, read 9,560,672 times
There's certainly a need for the service, but depending on where you are you might have a lot of competition. If I had the skills to do it, I would try to focus on getting into assisted living/55+ communities where residents didn't grow up with computers.

As far as liability, I'm sure you could get insurance.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:13 PM

24,843 posts, read 31,253,072 times
Many times I have wish someone would come to my house and help me! I tried a class this spring. It was VERY basic and did not benefit me. This is a service I would use.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:42 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the encouragement. BTW, I've already made up cards. I've decided not to use my phone number on the cards, since it would intrude on our privacy and peace. We both cherish our quite times at home when we are resting. So I'll encourage the use of email whenever something comes up.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:50 PM

1,917 posts, read 6,304,971 times
I tell you what I could use. Someone who could set up a wireless network in my new home. We had a friend of ours set up one in the last house, but then I don't know what I did that I messed up the security password and could never get it to reset!! I need someone to do that for me. So there's an idea for you.
I am going to have to break down and call AT&T to come out and set the network up for me.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,793 posts, read 37,464,612 times
How about setting up Linux machines?
This windows junk (overhead) is killing me on Dial-up. (especially any 'auto-updates' which I disable, except the required anti-virus from my college)

I would be very pleased to never see another ICON (guess I'm not cut out for MAC...)
I had to recently do a 're-install' of windows, kind of an every 5 yr thing to do if you want to keep a windows machine healthy.

The 'home care techs' are a needed variety and often pretty busy.
I would add a phone number to the card that would ring a pager (that you can turn off at your discretion) I try to keep my home # open
(of course for dial-up.... )

I live in a 'national scenic area'..., no cell towers or dishes allowed... and not enough houses to justify cable / fiber optics. no Broadband due to terrain.
Doing banking and stock trading can be fun as system usually times out on security protocol.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:28 AM

24,843 posts, read 31,253,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Thanks, I appreciate the encouragement. BTW, I've already made up cards. I've decided not to use my phone number on the cards, since it would intrude on our privacy and peace. We both cherish our quite times at home when we are resting. So I'll encourage the use of email whenever something comes up.
Get another phone line, and use an answering machine. You can write it off. I remember times when I could not have e-mailed you. BTW, when talking to people do not give away what you are selling!

Old 06-02-2008, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
How about setting up Linux machines?
This windows junk (overhead) is killing me on Dial-up. (especially any 'auto-updates' which I disable, except the required anti-virus from my college)

I would be very pleased to never see another ICON (guess I'm not cut out for MAC...)
I had to recently do a 're-install' of windows, kind of an every 5 yr thing to do if you want to keep a windows machine healthy.

The 'home care techs' are a needed variety and often pretty busy.
I would add a phone number to the card that would ring a pager (that you can turn off at your discretion) I try to keep my home # open
(of course for dial-up.... )

I live in a 'national scenic area'..., no cell towers or dishes allowed... and not enough houses to justify cable / fiber optics. no Broadband due to terrain.
Doing banking and stock trading can be fun as system usually times out on security protocol.
It's my understanding that Linux has made it a lot easier, according to an article I read a few weeks ago about Unbutu. Just download it and it's done. Keep in mind it's a lot different than Windows. An alternative would be to partition the drive and put Linux in the partitioned part of it. And, you can always preview the program by running on the CD, which is free.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:29 AM

4,286 posts, read 13,115,900 times
I think it's a great idea and I know several people that can use that service. Just get insurance for liability and maybe suggest to people to do a backup of their info. before you get there? If they don't know how, then offer it as part of your service. Maybe have an attorney draw up a contract they must sign explaining what you will not be responsible for.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Get another phone line, and use an answering machine. You can write it off. I remember times when I could not have e-mailed you. BTW, when talking to people do not give away what you are selling!
Good points. I think I'll start out with just putting my toe in the water, then see what happens. I may give customers my cell number, instead of getting a separate line, but for awhile, I'll be at my normal job. I won't be able to answer my cell, while I'm at work; cells phones are not allowed there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business