U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 10:54 AM

3,886 posts, read 6,216,583 times
Default Do people really make money selling on ebay?

I need a side job, and I have been thinking about selling on ebay. I buy from ebay all the time. I have looked into it a bit but can not get a piece of sound advise from google. lol Anyone sell more than their old stuff on there? Making any money? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 12:20 PM

5,266 posts, read 4,338,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I need a side job, and I have been thinking about selling on ebay. I buy from ebay all the time. I have looked into it a bit but can not get a piece of sound advise from google. lol Anyone sell more than their old stuff on there? Making any money? Thanks

I just did. I sold something from Bombay and flipped it ..frm 249.99 to 699.99! can't beat that!!

It does work...just watch out for fees they sock you with....

Old 06-10-2008, 12:27 PM

7 posts, read 37,487 times
Yes-you can make money, but do your homework. I've been out there for about 18 months, and have learned the hard way. Not everything will sell. Stuff you think will go well may not and it's all up to who is out there when you're ready to sell. I flip some items when I can, and if you're savvy, you can make some money.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:31 PM

10,593 posts, read 22,129,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
I just did. I sold something from Bombay and flipped it ..frm 249.99 to 699.99! can't beat that!!

It does work...just watch out for fees they sock you with....
When you say Bombay, do you mean The Bombay Company? I'm curious about what you sold.

I am thinking of putting somethings on Ebay as well. I have alot of old stuff but I was going to do some research and see what they were listing things like what I have to sell. I could sell alot before EVER even thinking of running out of things.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:36 PM

29,027 posts, read 18,011,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post

I've sold some things on ebay and did OK, mostly automotive stuff. I've also found Craiglist a good place to sell, especially large items you don't want to ship. It's not an auction but there's no fees either.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:32 PM

10,593 posts, read 22,129,183 times
I have some furniture that I am going to list on Craigslist. Something that I can't ship. I just have to photograph it, given how heavey the stuff is, well you know.

I am trying to get the house cleaned out.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:34 PM

8,364 posts, read 16,056,277 times
I have noticed that there are a lot of dummies on Ebay willing to overpay for stuff. It is comical!

Old 06-10-2008, 04:00 PM

24,774 posts, read 26,159,449 times
I think it depends on what you're selling.

I dated a girl who inherited an entire house with all its belongings from her Aunt and Uncle.

The catch?

They had been promotion people for the circus and were total, absolute pack rats. I mean, the piles of stuff in the house were so extensive that there were narrow aisles through the house where you could walk. And if you could reach into any pile and just pull out a gem--a vintage circus poster, an 45 record in mint condition, you name it.

She asked me what I thought, and I advised her to have it all assessed and sell it (This was pre-eBay). If she was doing that today, she would be a multimillionaire.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:24 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,654,585 times
Ebay is a business. You have to have a product to sell, know your postal system, know your fees and be a good honest business person.

My husband and I have a few niche markets and we have a specialty following of customers. We do it just part time and only when we have the time. Fees are approx. 25% of selling price which compares favorably with auction houses but you have world wide exposure. We sell all over the world and have had no issues (exception is Canada which has a lousy postal system).

However, you have to be a professional and know what you are doing. Start simple and small to work out the kinks.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:39 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,746,445 times
I sell on craigslist no fees. Oh and you as a noob will not be able to sell anything on ebay because you have a 0 rating so you will have to buy a lot of those penny items to get a good rating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business