U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Food dish: prepare and deliver, vendor license, umbrella insurance, approved commercial kitchen

Old 08-02-2008, 07:17 PM

799 posts, read 1,920,733 times

Advertisements

There is a particular food dish I can prepare very well and thought to prepare and sell it from my home. I could deliver it, or deliver to some of the more gourmet-ish type stores if they would buy it.

Now, would I need some kind of a vendor license? Would I need some kind of a food license to prepare this in my home?

Would I have to be insured up the gazoo in case someone claimed they got sick and blamed it on what I made (when it could be a lot of other things they ate, but I would be at risk anyway being named...)
Would I need umbrella insurance???

Is this whole thing feasible or a silly pipe dream?

I want real answers, not surmisings, as far as what can be done legally...
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 10:30 PM

9,601 posts, read 23,082,569 times
Regulations vary from place to place, but you would need insurance up the wazoo, and likely need to have the food prepared in a licensed and approved commercial kitchen per health department regulations...maybe you could get your home kitchen approved as such.
I'm not discouraging you, I think you should do it!

Old 08-03-2008, 10:56 PM

3,871 posts, read 15,212,473 times
Ira500 and I live in an area, around Seattle, where exactly your idea has been tried many times and has succeeded. My thought is for you to cozy up to a few small-business type food ventures in or near your area, buy what they're offering, eat it, tell them you love it and why, and make friends with the proprietors -- chat them up about how they got started, what was required, how they marketed their products which is the key to everything, how they got the money to start up and sustain, and how they tweaked their business plan over time in order to stay in business.

It is true that Americans are coming more and more to expect ready-made foods, and even unusual, interesting ready-made foods, available to them. That works hugely to your advantage.

I spent half a lifetime in marketing and advertising, and I assure you the 3 most important elements are: unique product, enough financial backing, and strategic, realistic marketing.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Ira500 and I live in an area, around Seattle, where exactly your idea has been tried many times and has succeeded. My thought is for you to cozy up to a few small-business type food ventures in or near your area, buy what they're offering, eat it, tell them you love it and why, and make friends with the proprietors -- chat them up about how they got started, what was required, how they marketed their products which is the key to everything, how they got the money to start up and sustain, and how they tweaked their business plan over time in order to stay in business.

It is true that Americans are coming more and more to expect ready-made foods, and even unusual, interesting ready-made foods, available to them. That works hugely to your advantage.

I spent half a lifetime in marketing and advertising, and I assure you the 3 most important elements are: unique product, enough financial backing, and strategic, realistic marketing.
I don't have financial backing. I doubt I would get it, as there are so many startups around. "You have to know someone" is more than the truth.
It isn't that I have a unique product, but a good product. I have a lot working against me...I am older and I have to earn an income now, to pay rent and the bills. I don't have time to grow a business, maybe this is just daydreaming for me!

Old 08-04-2008, 12:13 AM

3,871 posts, read 15,212,473 times
Default Well, let's see . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
"You have to know someone" is more than the truth.
So, since you're a grownup, you DO know people, established people, parents, in-laws, friends, dentists, townspeople, business people, neighbors, scoutmasters... people who'd be willing to shell out $500 each for a fascinating ride on a "good" magic carpet because they know how good your product is because you've given parties at which they eat it, deliberately, to try it out. Think about it... imagine it... how to do that...

Quote:
It isn't that I have a unique product, but a good product.
Everything new is unique. If it hasn't been available before, when it becomes available it IS unique.
And you say it's GOOD. Now THAT'S a big plus in your column.
If, for example, you have the 27th barbeque sauce in your area, the difference between your good sauce (and maybe it's really great?) and at least 17 other sauces that are just okay or mediocre, is the world, right? Read: sales, profit.

Quote:
-- I have a lot working against me...
If you believe that, if you keep thinking that, then yes it will be true. If you stop that thought every time it creeps up on you, and replace it with its good-feeling opposite, then it will stop being true. I promise...

Quote:
-- I am older
FABULOUS!!! Knowledge, experience, wisdom, selectivity, thoughtfulness, patience, ingenuity, flexibility, adaptability!!

Quote:
-- I have to earn an income now, to pay rent and the bills.
Which will keep you from throwing your life away on hair-brained schemes, and will keep you focused on reality, from which you can derive a merry sense of accomplishment.

Quote:
-- I don't have time to grow a business,
If you believe that, if you keep thinking that, then yes it will be true. If you stop that thought every time it creeps up on you, and replace it with its good-feeling opposite, then it will stop being true. I promise...
Have you actually rearranged your life in order to grow a business?

Quote:
-- maybe this is just daydreaming for me!
And maybe THIS idea about the good food product is just getting your mind in shape for the REAL idea which is waiting for you to find it...

Most people put anything that earns money in the category of "the things I have to do". And that is why the money often comes so hard because it's not joyfulness, it's pushing against joy, against life.

If you are wise enough to follow the trail of good-feeling thoughts by deliberately looking for positive aspects along your way, you will come into vibration with who you really are and with the things you really want, and once you do that the Universe must and will deliver to you a viable means to achieve your desires. The purpose of your life is joy, nothing less.

I wish you joy!!

P.S. Google Paula Dean. You know Paula Dean? On the Food Network. The loud one. She started her original business just like your idea, delivering to restaurants, when she was flat broke, her husband had just left her with nothing, and she had two little boys to raise...
Have you read these resources?
http://www.powerhomebiz.com/vol42/food.htm
Down the right column in this one:
http://articles.directorym.net/The_Home_Based_Business_Phenomenon_Seattle_WA-r860669-Seattle_WA.html (broken link)
http://www.showmomthemoney.com/oppor...urmet-food.htm

Last edited by allforcats; 08-04-2008 at 01:11 AM..

Old 08-04-2008, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
So, since you're a grownup, you DO know people, established people, parents, in-laws, friends, dentists, townspeople, business people, neighbors, scoutmasters... people who'd be willing to shell out $500 each for a fascinating ride on a "good" magic carpet because they know how good your product is because you've given parties at which they eat it, deliberately, to try it out. Think about it... imagine it... how to do that...

Everything new is unique. If it hasn't been available before, when it becomes available it IS unique.
And you say it's GOOD. Now THAT'S a big plus in your column.
If, for example, you have the 27th barbeque sauce in your area, the difference between your good sauce (and maybe it's really great?) and at least 17 other sauces that are just okay or mediocre, is the world, right? Read: sales, profit.

FABULOUS!!! Knowledge, experience, wisdom, selectivity, thoughtfulness, patience, ingenuity, flexibility, adaptability!!

Which will keep you from throwing your life away on hair-brained schemes, and will keep you focused on reality, from which you can derive a merry sense of accomplishment.

Have you actually rearranged your life in order to grow a business?

And maybe THIS idea about the good food product is just getting your mind in shape for the REAL idea which is waiting for you to find it...

Most people put anything that earns money in the category of "the things I have to do". And that is why the money often comes so hard because it's not joyfulness, it's pushing against joy, against life.

If you are wise enough to follow the trail of good-feeling thoughts by deliberately looking for positive aspects along your way, you will come into vibration with who you really are and with the things you really want, and once you do that the Universe must and will deliver to you a viable means to achieve your desires. The purpose of your life is joy, nothing less.

I wish you joy!!

P.S. Google Paula Dean. You know Paula Dean? On the Food Network. The loud one. She started her original business just like your idea, delivering to restaurants, when she was flat broke, her husband had just left her with nothing, and she had two little boys to raise...
Have you read these resources?
Home Business Idea: Starting a Food Business
Down the right column in this one:
The Home Based Business Phenomenon Seattle WA - Seattle WA, work from home starting new business online primary secondary income source phenomenon sign times reasons personal factors success successful entrepreneurial segment society technology alter (http://articles.directorym.net/The_Home_Based_Business_Phenomenon_Seattle_WA-r860669-Seattle_WA.html - broken link)
Gourmet Food Home Based Business Opportunities
I moved here about 2 months ago and I dont really know anyone. I don't know anyone in my life that I'd ask to give me $500. I don't know people with that kind of money to give away. I don't think a dentist would like it if I went to him and asked him for money. I would feel very odd asking people I don't know for money.
You see, I don't give parties, I don't know anyone here, and I'm not the partying type.
I never bought into the "Secret" or any of that positive attraction stuff, just reality and hard core facts.
When I look at this, I know that most businesses fail, and I can't afford to fail. I do not have the money to pay next month's rent, and not one job I have applied for has called me back.
But what I could do is find out if there are stores that would buy my product. I still have to have a day job.
I won't ask for money, but maybe someone will buy my product. I do know, that most products are not unique, a lot is luck and timing.
Thanks for the tips though...I am just trying to find a way out of this hole and my profession is so glutted with people, I am getting out of it, before it gets worse. I kicked the dead horse for so long!

Old 08-04-2008, 01:44 AM

After reading the links, I dont know if I can get past the government regulations...maybe that is why people dont do this sort of thing out of their homes...

Old 08-04-2008, 06:31 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,566,735 times
The government health regulations are there to prevent unscrupulous or inattentive people from poisoning the unsuspecting. I did happen and still does.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:57 AM

9,601 posts, read 23,082,569 times
The regulations are not that daunting. Thirty years ago I sold food from a cart that I made. I rented kitchen space from the Polish community center one day a week and used their freezer space, and the venture cost me a lot more time than money. You don't have to invest a lot of money.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:35 PM

763 posts, read 2,004,885 times
You have to work long hard hours, but you can do it.

First thing is, you have to provide an income of some sort, even if it's working at as a cashier at the grocery store.

Second, get your kitchen approved or rent another kitchen as the poster above suggested. (Depends on your local regulation. In some places, it's easier to get yours approved than others.)

Third, prepare the packaging. It has to be eye-catching and/or good sounding. Labels on bottles/bags, etc. With today's digital printing, you can get small runs of specialty prints very cheaply. I self-published a 64 page book about a biblical look at unions, and even with all the fancy paper for the cover and the heavier paper to bulk it up and the shipping, it cost me about $1 per copy.

Fourth, figure out a venue for selling your product: Local craft shows, home shows, etc. Build a reputation.

Fifth, build upon the previous four, while working many hours to make ends meet until your successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or