Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2008, 04:19 PM

253 posts, read 1,055,589 times

Advertisements

How does one go about starting a multi-media production company? I am thinking about a company that acts as an umbrella company to several other companies.

For example...say you have a large company called ABC Productions...and underneath that company you have 4 other companies started by the same people:
  1. Publishing Company
  2. Record Label Company
  3. Design Company
  4. Film Company

Each of these companies deal with a variety of mediums and they will be backed and funded by ABC productions as branches, although they are also individual companies/endeavors. ABC Productions will also be incorporated along with the others.

I am thinking of a production company model such as Harpo Productions (Oprah Winfrey) or Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia company. As I look at the structure of these companies, they seem to be the kind of company I am describing...umbrella companies.

However, again I am wondering how does one get started on a small scale building a production company of this nature and structure?

Any ideas, tips or general info?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 04:25 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,949,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsymptoticFaery View Post
How does one go about starting a multi-media production company? I am thinking about a company that acts as an umbrella company to several other companies.

For example...say you have a large company called ABC Productions...and underneath that company you have 4 other companies started by the same people:
  1. Publishing Company
  2. Record Label Company
  3. Design Company
  4. Film Company

Each of these companies deal with a variety of mediums and they will be backed and funded by ABC productions as branches, although they are also individual companies/endeavors. ABC Productions will also be incorporated along with the others.

I am thinking of a production company model such as Harpo Productions (Oprah Winfrey) or Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia company. As I look at the structure of these companies, they seem to be the kind of company I am describing...umbrella companies.

However, again I am wondering how does one get started on a small scale building a production company of this nature and structure?

Any ideas, tips or general info?

In other words, a monopoly?

Old 02-26-2008, 04:43 PM

253 posts, read 1,055,589 times
Lightbulb No.

This would not be a monopoly as that means that the company would be and aim to be the predominant or only provider of a particular good or service in a given market...and moreover, this would be reflected in the types of goods and services it offers.

What I am describing is a company that deals in diversification of its services and goods...but the company would offer unique services and goods of many kinds...not as a replacement for or domination over other goods and services in markets it makes investments and business developments in.

I used those company examples (Martha Stewart and Oprah Winfrey) because the company structure is similar to what I am talking about. I also see these companies as bringing a bit of diversity to the markets they invest in...rather than taking over. I don't see their companies in the realm of Wal-Mart of even Microsoft.

That's a different subject altogether...and not what I had in mind when starting the thread.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:09 AM

1 posts, read 17,501 times
Default multi-media production company feedback

-consider incorporating as just one biz and use DBA's or Service Marks (SM) for the other divisions, u can spin off later if you need and if thing work.
-try to develop and focus on a core competency, know your market and audience (nitches are good) then build a community around that nitch...
-network with other start ups and established companies / create an alliance (win/win or no deal)
-write a biz plan and a marketing plan
-keep overhead as low as possible
-lease equipment as needed
-divide and conquer
-utilize open source and white label technology

cheers.
LEX

www.nufacesnc.com (broken link)

Old 08-13-2008, 11:34 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,182,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by innertain View Post
-consider incorporating as just one biz and use DBA's or Service Marks (SM) for the other divisions, u can spin off later if you need and if thing work.
-try to develop and focus on a core competency, know your market and audience (nitches are good) then build a community around that nitch...
-network with other start ups and established companies / create an alliance (win/win or no deal)
-write a biz plan and a marketing plan
-keep overhead as low as possible
-lease equipment as needed
-divide and conquer
-utilize open source and white label technology
all of the above are pretty much requirements in regards to your start-up.

i'd like to get a bit more in-depth and get to the core of what your are trying to do.

First of all, it's a great time for independent records labels to flourish. The majors current business model has repressed growth as the internet has severly cut into the market. Do yourself a favor and review the current sales percentage DECLINE over the past 4 or 5 years. The music industry has been in meltdown (their own sub-prime mortgage type disaster) for years now. It's sad.

Independents can come in with core audiences (via the internet- fanbase) much cheaper then the major's and your room for profit is much larger. It just costs majors way to much to do what they do.

Also, keep in the mind that the majors are now tweeking their models to include 360 deals. (look up the most recent Madonna deal). These deals encompass all ancillary artist income deriving from record sales, publishing, touring, and merchandising. Thats the way to make serious money on these artists. follow that model! tweek it where you need to.

With that said, you may want to begin to BRAND your "management" company first. Sign an artist to a 360 deal getting a piece of everything. In return for them signing that sort of deal you'll agree to finance and release their album (now you're branding your record label and publishing). You'll shoot the music videos (now you're branding your film company) and you design their website, myspace pages, etc... (now you're branding your design company).

While you feverishly promote the artist or artists, your "brands" are going along for the ride. people will only know your brands based on the product it is attached too. when a hot artist emerges, industry bigwigs will always want to know who made it happen behind the scene's (while they try to steal your artist!) ha!

obviously there's alot more to get into but its too much to write here.

i see you didnt mention manufacturing and distribution of the product which i'm sure you can have someone else accommodate as certain things should be left to outsourse. All the above stated things are already overwhelming although doable with the right team!

also, while you're branding your companies through your own artists, don't shy away from doing work FOR FREE for other artists as long as they and the end product is amazing. Its work upfront for free promotion.

You may find artists who are already signed to other companies who you feel have huge potential. even if you have to work for free, get your logo on their product (make that part of the deal)!!

when you build up a brand, your price begins to go up!

good luck!

Last edited by BK2Westchester; 08-13-2008 at 11:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business