Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2007, 02:29 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times

Advertisements

I have two major complaints against a shiping company that I use for my small business. The first is a case of tort where my company was overcharged through a falsified set of weights/dimensions on an invoice. The overcharge was small, on the order of $1000, but easily 3X what should have been charged.

The second case is simply negligance, where the (same) shipper failed to file the proper paperwork with customs and my goods were interned for over two months despite my constant calls for them to do something about it. Because of the nature of my business, I had demonstrable harm done on the order of tens of thousands of dollars and I made them aware of this during the process.

I've put together a complaint which I will be sending to the shipper's customer service division, but I expect to be stonewalled. My question is this: do I have any other options besides hiring legal representation and getting tied up in the expense and trouble of litigation? I really don't feel like donating my time and money to make some lawyer richer, even if I get a judgement in my favor--as I expect would be the result.

Has anyone ever found a happy medium between going away frustrated after venting on some low-level customer service sandbagger and going to court? Care to share any advice you might have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 03:59 PM

739 posts, read 830,049 times
Try talking to the owner of the business. As one business man to another you have a much greater chance. Also don't go in making any accusations. Instead, go in as though you were terribly confused. Ask, "I'm afraid I don't understand how these fees/weights/whatever were calculated. Can you help me understand?" And then listen. If it sounds like he's being dishonest, state simply, but firmly, that you do not agree. Then discuss how you might reach a compromise. If you truly feel he's been dishonest, settle and never use them again. If it was a simple mistake, he'll be glad you brought it to his attention.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:28 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,183,864 times
Quote:
Then discuss how you might reach a compromise. If you truly feel he's been dishonest, settle and never use them again. If it was a simple mistake, he'll be glad you brought it to his attention.
And if you must try the legal route, try arbitration. Liz

Old 08-06-2007, 04:46 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
The shipping company I used is a major business, so I doubt they'll elevate my concerns to the owner. Well, maybe if I'm really convincing.

I appreciate the input. My intention is not to make accusations, although this shipping company does have a reputation for dishonesty. If, by some unlikely event, my reasonable approach to their customer service yields some sort of compromise which partially relieves the burden their failures have placed on my business, I'll be happy to leave it at that.

However, I get the feeling I'm going to be dealing with some poor schmo who's sole job is to get me to go away as cheaply as possible.

Liz, thanks for the suggestion. I would be glad to abide by an arbitrator's decision in this case. The problem is getting the large company to agree to even enter into arbitration.

Can anyone provide resources for arbitration?

Old 08-06-2007, 04:58 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,183,864 times
Try here: American Arbitration Association (http://www.adr.org/index.asp - broken link) Liz

Old 08-06-2007, 05:39 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,396,923 times
Talk to the owner of the business. I'm sure they don't want to lose customers. See if you can work out a solution. What about small claims court? Did you use a credit card for payment? You can dispute the charges.

greenmachine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business