U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 10:01 AM

3,221 posts, read 6,006,223 times

Advertisements

I'm sure most of you computer savoy folk have bought and even sold things on Ebay- but what I've always wondered is how can some people sell things so low (e.g.) a new CD is released and it sells at the local Best Buy for $10.99- the same CD on Ebay is $6.99. I mean where are these people getting their merchandise from?

Last edited by Bo; 12-02-2008 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: Moved from General US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 10:15 AM

1,916 posts, read 5,423,997 times
The warehouse, stolen, discounts, etc. Why is this in the General U.S. forum? lol

Old 11-18-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post
The warehouse, stolen, discounts, etc. Why is this in the General U.S. forum? lol
wanted to maximize the responses- I' m sure I'll be moved though

Old 11-18-2008, 10:22 AM

9,170 posts, read 13,662,902 times
My friends mom is obsessed with Garage Sales. She just loves wandering around neighborhoods and finding little "treasures" that people are trying to get rid of. Sometimes it's amazing what she can find for $5. Stuff you'd buy in a store for $30, but people just want to ditch it - now.

Anyway, she finally started putting stuff on Ebay a few years ago. Mostly so she had a reason to buy more stuff at Garage Sales and see how good she could do on deals.

She's made tens of thousands just buying stuff at sales and then turning right around and selling them on Ebay that same day.

My dad has sold some stuff as well that he's collected over the years. Although I think most of the stuff is like overstock, excess goods, things on clearance. You get a super good deal, buy a ton of it and then mark it up 10% and sell it on Ebay.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
My friends mom is obsessed with Garage Sales. She just loves wandering around neighborhoods and finding little "treasures" that people are trying to get rid of. Sometimes it's amazing what she can find for $5. Stuff you'd buy in a store for $30, but people just want to ditch it - now.

Anyway, she finally started putting stuff on Ebay a few years ago. Mostly so she had a reason to buy more stuff at Garage Sales and see how good she could do on deals.

She's made tens of thousands just buying stuff at sales and then turning right around and selling them on Ebay that same day.

My dad has sold some stuff as well that he's collected over the years. Although I think most of the stuff is like overstock, excess goods, things on clearance. You get a super good deal, buy a ton of it and then mark it up 10% and sell it on Ebay.
That's very interesting- I learned yesterday while watching the news that Alexus Giannoulias and the Illinois State Treasury department would be selling people's unclaimed items on ebay for state revenue eBay Store - IL State Treasurers Unclaimed Property Division Springfield: Jewelry Rings Bracelets necklaces diamond, Coins Currency

Old 11-18-2008, 10:36 AM

545 posts, read 1,376,159 times
I sell a lot of industrial equipment on eBay. A lot of it comes from jobs we do where either we or our client has over-ordered and the items cannot be returned. In many cases, our client does not want to deal with selling it or trashing the goods themselves, so it sits in our warehouse. I list those items on eBay and resell them at really good prices. They were already paid for once, so its 100% profit at whatever amount we get for it.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:26 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $84,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,631 posts, read 21,561,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
wanted to maximize the responses- I' m sure I'll be moved though
Right you are!

Old 12-02-2008, 08:11 PM

5,604 posts, read 9,525,629 times
You also have to watch what some folks want to charge for shipping - they think they can make up the price on that. As an EBay buyer, I won't pay outrageous shipping fees.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:08 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,952,952 times
best buy is probably one of the most expensive stores you can shop at.

that aside, you can buy most products for cheaper. i know a lot of people who sell products from crates. you never know what comes on it, but you buy a crate and sell whatever is on it. its basically overstocked/warehouse product. items that have fallen off lines, didn't sell. eventually they make there way to other places.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:31 PM

3,460 posts, read 2,624,371 times
Sell the CD $3 cheaper, and then add on another $3 in shipping....

You have to look at the total cost, not just the buy it now cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business