Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2008, 01:15 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,449,916 times

Advertisements

I've been offered work, probably as an independent contractor, by my most recent boss who was also laid off from his job last week. I worked for him at a previous place of employment, too.

Except for the fact that I really should take any reasonable work that comes my way, I am not sure I want to work for him again. He's done some things professionally, that I think fall into a gray area, ethically. A couple of times he crossed the line into illegality, but quickly gave back whatever it was that he took, so no action was taken against him.

And though I feel grateful that he helped me keep my past jobs longer than I might have without his intervention, I'm not sure that he wasn't mis-representing himself to our mutual employers, in order to do so.

So now, our most recent former employer and he are wrangling for a set of contracts, which he originally obtained and brought with him from an earlier job. He's in the process of winning the second phase of the contract away from our previous employer.

He wants those of us who were laid off to work for him on the second phase of the contract. I really want to go back to work for the company I was working for one, of these days. I have no idea who's going to get the contract for the project, my former company or my former boss. If they don't get the contract, then the former company won't rehire me any time soon.

I want to maintain a good reputation in our business community, since I'm an established resident and don't plan to live elsewhere. Once this recession is over, I will also need a really good job to get caught up financially.

Unemployment doesn't pay enough to make ends meet and by working for the old boss, I could make a whole lot more money than sitting at home.

Last edited by ellie; 12-09-2008 at 01:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 02:42 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Thumbs up Not quite sure I understand the type of situation you are in / contemplating...

Sounds to my like you some specific skill, maybe technical in nature (I can understand why you might not want to give too many details), that is valuable to businesses.

Also sounds that a former boss has connections at the businesses likely to hire someone with your skills.

Accurate to this point?

I can understand that his connections and your skills you could make out financially OK.

Sounds like he may a tendency to BEND (if not break) RULES (and maybe laws, including HARD TO MISS ones like THEFT) -- do you want to put the effort into MAKING THE CONNECTIONS so that firms that utilize your services realize that YOU are ethical and responsible? If so then you have to tell the guy who want to hire you that YOU NEED CONTACT WITH THE CUSTOMERS ON A REGULAR BASIS.

Don't make it be about his past questionable ethics. Tell him: I'm not getting younger, I need to expand my role. I want ALL OF US to succeed, not just NOW but for a longer term. I won't accept being "an independent in the background" because I need to not just barely 'get by' but position myself for a longer future to support my kids, college, retirement, the whole nine yards...

If he does something to jeopardize your ability to earn then you have to cut him out of the picture and go right to the clients. Don't show your hand to him...

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business