Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 03:03 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times

Advertisements

Let's not forget how before the media was saying you can get rich buying Real Estate - and how easy it was...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 04:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
If anything stop watching and listening to the media and go find your news online from among various sources. From there you will get the REAL news.

You hear of job layoffs from the MSM but they are not telling you half of it.
Click on this link and just look at today's announcements..btw each of those listings is a link to the data backing up the layoff claim.

Layoff Daily

Old 12-16-2008, 05:36 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,907,371 times
here is what the press cannot hide:
1) US Housing implosion,
2) US mortgage bond implosion exacerbated by the above suing of US banks and leading to,
3) the US banking implosion,
4) the US external deficit which Buffett noted was paying interest on the interest as of Dec 2006 and with Japan and China dumping US treasuries and the US failing to achieve the $2.5bn a day needed,
5) the US fiat money implosion which Liu mentions when it all feeds back into the US,
6) the US fiscal liabilities implosion of $60trillion plus interest to pay for pensions, medicare and medicaid,
7) the US pensions implosion due to ERISA and the baby boomer wave,
8) the US derivatives "weapons of financial destruction" explosion,
9) the US household debt implosion, and
10) the US industry implosion including collapsed manufacturing and airline industry, and
11) the US deflation implosion.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:04 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times
Recessions are normal.

When the government keeps monkeying with the financial system to postpone an inevitable recession, you end up with an abnormal recession.

Now that we have an abnormal recession, people want to blame the media for reporting it?

Old 12-16-2008, 10:07 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,153,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The news media is talking down the economy so that come January 5 they can start talking it UP and validate their anointed one as they switch there stories 180 degrees. Their gain is POWER to validate how THEY MADE THIS GUY and they RULE by their values now SUCKERS!!!
You're starting to sound just as crazy as the "Go out and buy ammo and non-perishable" guys....

Anyhow, the "media is exaggerating things" claim is getting more popular lately. As far as I can tell its just a form of scapegoating, both by individuals and businesses. As far as businesses go they need someone to blame for their decline and possible failure, so why not the media and all the "bad news". The people with the news today is not they lie about things or even exaggerate things, its that they are rather selective in what they report. As far as the bad economy goes, there really isn't any positive news to report on! They ignored bad reports and reported happy-talk as long as they could without it becoming absurd.

Anyhow, a lot of businesses are going to fail due to the change in consumer behavior. Either you realize that change is going to occur and try to adjust or you ignore and hope things go back to "normal" again and likely fail. When even big box retailers like Best Buy are smelling the coming winds...you know something is up.

Some business models aren't going to work in the coming years.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:05 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,540,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post

Some business models aren't going to work in the coming years.
Such as those based on BS . . .

like the Finance, Insurance, and Real Estate.

hmmm, same folks who are major contributors to the current mess.

Go figure.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:16 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,153,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
like the Finance, Insurance, and Real Estate.
Well, I have no involvement with those industries so that isn't what I had in mind. Rather over the last 5~7 years a lot of businesses that have popped up that are just.....hmm.....really stupid. The only reason they seem to last more than a year, was lax lending. Such as:

- Business service businesses. I get advertisements from this people all the time, they all seem to be 20/30 somethings that are going to come in and tell me what I should be doing? Never mind the fact that their only business experience is from school and their current business.....

- Web based companies that do nothing but flip merchandise, usually via drop shipping.

- Retailers (web or brick and mortar) that sell "luxury" goods that are essentially overpriced nicknacks or food items.

Its basically the businesses that require people to pay more for their good/service than they would if paying cash that are going to do poorly.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:29 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
I first started wandering about all those people that were investing in tech companies that never showed a profit because so many wanted in on the next Dell or Microsoft or such. Then talking to many that were overloaded in many growth type stocks . After a few years they seemed to forget that there was risk involved.After the 70's recession we saw a whole generation that left the markets;we might see that now for a good pre centage IMO.From waht i have seen the fed seems to be lower tehy dolar value to get people to spend or inhvest rather than hold and save cash. I really don't think they will have much luck tho as the average person just doesn't trust the markets now after many loss half thier value.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:35 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,299 times
You must realize that you control what you watch on T.V. and if the negativity become to intense, turn it off and listen to music on the radio.
This is a economic mess that we are in with no short term relief in sight. You can watch it with the belief that you can become part of the solution to turn it around or just drop out of society for awhile until it gets turned around. I guess it's all about what your pain tolerance for the truth and lies is.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:28 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,447,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
I pose the question to you all, especially fellow business owners out there... Doesn't all this media emphasis of a slowdown seem irresponsible?

My point of view is that sure there's a credit crunch, but other than that everyone is still producing the same quantity of perishables (it's not like an environmental calamity has occurred), manufacturing hasn't come to a standstill for anything people really need, and for all intents and purposes our printed money is still worth something in other people's eyes. That said, I cannot listen to 5 minutes of TV or radio news coverage without hearing someone claiming that the sky is falling regarding the US or global economy.

I have always and still praise how we now live in the information age, but at what point is the media now creating reality vs just reporting on it?

Your thoughts on this?

I think they are finally telling the truth, which we are NOT accustomed to. But now things are too in-your-face for even them to Faux News it. They should have really done the same on 9/11 and everything that followed. A bit late, I'd say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business