U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2008, 03:07 PM

27,998 posts, read 46,420,960 times

Advertisements

For decades after its founding in 1935, the United Auto Workers stood as a powerful model for the American labor movement, an influential organization that historians credit with uplifting living standards for all working Americans.

But with the announcement of the federal loan deal yesterday, the union found itself being forced into concessions that some described as tantamount to surrender.

For UAW, sacrifice or surrender? - Washington Post- msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 10:29 PM

7,844 posts, read 14,533,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
For decades after its founding in 1935, the United Auto Workers stood as a powerful model for the American labor movement, an influential organization that historians credit with uplifting living standards for all working Americans.

But with the announcement of the federal loan deal yesterday, the union found itself being forced into concessions that some described as tantamount to surrender.

For UAW, sacrifice or surrender? - Washington Post- msnbc.com
Without an auto industry in the US that can compete and be successful, there is no UAW and no jobs. As the article points out, the union "cut its own throat" in many ways.

100 years ago, unions were a way to achieve basic rights for workers at a time when they were subjected to sometimes cruel and unsafe work practices. I don't think sitting around for 2 years collecting 95% of your pay in a "jobs bank" was what was envisioned by early labor organizers.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:57 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,785,037 times
Boohooo..! Cry me a river!

Sorry.... I can't really sympathize with UAW. They're one of the main contributors to the US automakers' current mess to begin with.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:14 PM

6,571 posts, read 17,987,967 times
The UAW has cut its own throat. I don't feel sorry for them...thus I do not buy any of their detroit products. They have this GIMMMEE atitude and force mgmt to raise the prices so that an average American cannot afford their product. Walmart is the Japanese cars in the south...the big three are the former mom and pops of the past and are destined to fold eventually.
Lets face it......the avg person is not making the wage needed to purchase detroits iron.
There was the time a person could purchase and finance a car for two yrs...then three yrs...then four yrs...up to 60 months today. Income has not increased proportionately with the autos increases.
Detroit has gotten to the point where Import model competition from other countries and those made locally in the US are priced to where they are more affordable to the avg public...and with better quality and longevity in normal usage. Gas mileage is only a small part of the autos success.
Could go on but will repeat my former statement "never bite the hand that feeds you as tomorrow it may not be there". Am sure the UAW now knows this...look at the headache they caused.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:24 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,529,230 times
I hope that the union workers realize that they have to pick their fights and that this is the wrong time to fight. They may win this battle but lose the war. If the american auto industry gets flushed down the drain, it will reincarnate in a drastically different form. They would be well advised to seek language that would allow their concessions to be reinstated once a certain level of earnings were achieved. It would be a carrot on the end of the stick for motivating the work force and give the corporation some monetary breathing room.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:13 PM

1,436 posts, read 2,857,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Without an auto industry in the US that can compete and be successful, there is no UAW and no jobs. As the article points out, the union "cut its own throat" in many ways.

100 years ago, unions were a way to achieve basic rights for workers at a time when they were subjected to sometimes cruel and unsafe work practices. I don't think sitting around for 2 years collecting 95% of your pay in a "jobs bank" was what was envisioned by early labor organizers.
This is the most on point, simple and short description that could be made to describe unions. Pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered they say. It's no secret the UAW was all along trying to be a hog.

Not taking anything away from any auto worker out there but I can't seem to understand why they feel they deserve so much more than the rest of the work force in the US... greed and abuse of union power I guess !

And at the same time if the US Gov didn't allow foreign companies to come to this country and compete with legacy companies on the same game board using different rules we wouldn't be having these kinds of problems now would we. These problems don't exist in other countries... wonder why ?!

Old 12-22-2008, 03:44 AM

6,110 posts, read 10,171,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
What? Some tens of millions, at most?

Got news for you: Between the Chinese, Indians and others, there are some 2 billion, BILLION, breathing down their necks and their breath stinks.

The standard of living for the average person going forward will be based on the new pool of workers, not the relatively isolated mere several millions in the US and Europe of the 1930s-1990s period.

To a significant extent, the current financial and economic crisis is discounting the present value of aging workers in the countries of early industrialization. To the ruling classes, they are basically an expensive nuisance.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:48 AM

8,780 posts, read 16,271,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
I hope that the union workers realize that they have to pick their fights and that this is the wrong time to fight. They may win this battle but lose the war.
It would seem that way, but actually, the UAW is handling the situation very well. I say this because they aren't going to fold their hand until they get a read on the new White House. The mission of the organization is to protect their members, and although they seem to be misplaying the hand, i have to agree with the tact they've taken thus far. When/If the Obama administration tells them to take a hike, that will be the correct time to give drastic concessions.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:17 AM

2,290 posts, read 4,951,877 times
Although I'll always be somewhat grateful for UAW (my old man was UAW, and raised our family on good pay and benefits that only the union could have made possible) it seems that they really have killed off their golden goose. While my father has a defined pension that the government has recently paid for, I and others in the 40+ generation will have to work until we die.

BUT ... had Ford, GM, and Chrysler treated their employees with higher regard like Toyota and Honda treated theirs, there likely wouldn't have been a need for a UAW in the first place.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:14 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,987,095 times
It was either concede or have GM/Chrysler go bankrupt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business