Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 10:44 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,168,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper324 View Post

The next day I received 5 calls from companies asking to speak to Mr. Mispronounced name. These calls were from contractors and other businesses. Turns out this telemarketer from hell is now calling around and when someone doesn't want his service or call, he calls back, is rude, racist and sexually explicit but using my companies and my husbands name.

I haven't heard from the cops yet even after calling to add this latest prank to the Original police report.

What should I do?
How odd. Usually 'the owner' of a company isn't the one making the telemarketing calls. If anyone calls who is connected with this guy, get a number or name to go with your police report. I doubt there is much that can be done about it unless you jump through a lot of time consuming hoops.

You could read around on here:
Suing a Telemarketer: How I Spent My Summer Vacation

Lots of people make a living as telemarketers. A few years ago as a single mom I used to work as one as a second income. The majority are certainly not rude. It is a shame people like this guy give the other ones a bad name. I know they annoy people with the calling....but at least they are willing to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 04:13 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,324,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Call trace will fail on just about all of this type of call. The phone companies and government regulators have totally failed in addressing the problems. It almost makes me long for the old days when there was Ma Bell. There used to be a call screener that you could put on your incoming phone line that would redirect calls based on your own parameters. That way, no telemarketer or automated call would ring through. I just checked, and the website for it is down.
Well Heck. Call Trace used to work. Havent had to use it myself cause I prescreen all my calls with my Caller ID. I dont get a lot of personal calls. And Im a nasty old bat. That takes care of any phone problems here.

Are you thinking of Privacy Manager. Mom had that.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:45 PM

931 posts, read 3,802,545 times
Next time your phone rings and you don't recognize the number or their isn't one, don't answer it.

If it is important, they will leave a message.

That's all there is to it.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:34 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,648,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
I used to work for the phone company. You can do a Call Trace. Heres the info on how to do one for At&T

AT&T All In One(R): Call Management Features| Small & Medium Business Customer Center| AT&T

Personally I dont answer unless I recognize the number and sometimes not even then. I have a low tech answering machine that lets me listen when people leave a message. If its important they will leave a message.
I will not answer a caller ID block either. But I have tried the ol *69 trick and it does not work. Never has.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:43 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper324 View Post
I haven't heard from the cops yet even after calling to add this latest prank to the Original police report.

What should I do?
To begin with you should NOT engage in conversations with people like this. Second, put anonymous call blocking on your phone.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:32 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,923,139 times
I'm retired in Mexico. I do get my primary care MD calling me every so often from the VA hospital regarding a test result or something important. The caller ID shows "Out of Area" so I know it's from the states.
Here in Mexico the ID shows "unknown caller" which is a telemarkter calling. I sometimes answer with a "Hello" and the person starts to speak in Spanish of which I understand and speak a little. I wait a few seconds and answer in Hungarian or some Japanese that I remember from old days...they quickly hangup....problem solved for the moment. Steve

Old 01-20-2009, 10:35 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,864,420 times
I have a similar problem. These guys from cal pal (California Police Activities League) keep calling us. We tell them we don't want to donate but they keep calling. We even changed our phone number and never gave it to them. They found our new number and still call. They show up as unknown caller so we can't block them.

Whatever you do. Never donate to any government/police/fire charity they'll harass you forever.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:52 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,324,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
I have a similar problem. These guys from cal pal (California Police Activities League) keep calling us. We tell them we don't want to donate but they keep calling. We even changed our phone number and never gave it to them. They found our new number and still call. They show up as unknown caller so we can't block them.

Whatever you do. Never donate to any government/police/fire charity they'll harass you forever.
You are so right. Those people track you down and hound you. I dont have trouble with them now cause I let everything go to the answering machine if I dont recognize it on Caller Id. BTW. Theyre not really police you know. They try to make you think they are tho so you wont say no.

I remember way back when there was no Caller ID and everytime you answered it was like Russian Roulette. Am I gonna get somebody I want to talk to or somebody askin for money. I got so tired of asking them not to call. Sometimes I would just lay the phone down and walk off. Some times I would just tell them. I already gave why are you calling me again. Most of the time they would say sorry and hang up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business