Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2009, 08:43 AM

840 posts, read 3,467,437 times

Advertisements

I do volunteer work and happened to find something by accident that might help businesses.

During Salute to Veterans Week I had called several businesses asking if they would offer a little discount to our Vets. We had some businesses that sent a 10% or 15% discount and one of those not only set it up in his computer so they could also get a discount he printed up preferred customer cards so they'd get discounts on the first few times they came in. Another has a card so they get a discount each time the come in and when they get so many they will get a free haircut or a 1/2 price haircut. Some wanted to send a free coupon for some small item just to get them in the store while a restaurant did a "Buy one, Get one" for a limited time (like during a 4 week period) which pulled in customers very quickly. Some wanted to send along cakes, drinks, ice cream etc.

The "buy one, get one hamburger" was great since they were fairly near our VA clinic. I talked to men and women who were not from here who needed a place to eat lunch, went there and will remember it when they have to come back to the area.)

The problem I found was that many businesses offer a Sr. Citizen's discount or a Military disount with ID. That leaves out many Vets as you can be in your 20's, return from Iraq, get out of the service as a Vet with a Vet ID. A Military ID is when they are active but Vet ID is what they get when they get out. I had no idea until someone explained it to me and I have found that many business owners did not know that.

When I have checked back with our sponsors I am finding that they did see an increase in their business! This does not surprise me as I made sure I explained to each Vet what the discounts would get them. At first they might say they would never go to that business but when I told them what the discount was they said they'd go.

They didn't have to pay me to advertise their business but by having a good coupon I was able to talk about their business and send business their way. Win/Win for both the business and our Vets!

There are 40,000 Vets just in our immediate area (but they come here from towns all arond so there are many more that can be reached.) This can be great for businesses that jump on it and beat the competition to it...think about it....you have people who appreciate that they are recognized who will do business with those who support them. In all the years I have volunteered for different groups I have found that Vets are some of the most appreciative people I have ever met.

We have a website for our group so I put the discounts on there so it will hopefully help the businesses that help our Vets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business