U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 12:53 PM

1,896 posts, read 4,387,956 times
Default Starting a Foreclosed Home Clean out Service

Hello
My husband and I own a commercial cleaning service. We mostly do model homes, specs, offices, etc. But since the construction industry is down, we are looking to get into the trash out/clean out business with foreclosed homes. Do any of you do that? If so how much do you charge? We are in the North Texas area in a county that has lots of foreclosed homes. We are about to contact some banks but want to know any tips on bidding, the pricing, etc.
Thanks.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:55 PM

3,031 posts, read 5,535,157 times
Good luck with that. Aren't foreclosed homes normally sold as-is? Be surprised if the banks are going to want to spend anything more than they absolutely have to.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:06 PM

Nope! Saw a guy on Oprah who is raking it in in Sacramento! He does trash out/clean outs. He basically goes into the house and takes in all the junk the people left behind. I know someone in our area doing it too but I can't find his info.
I am looking for people who can help with an answer not discouragement!

Old 03-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Status: "knows the truth, doesnt care......." (set 14 days ago)

2,760 posts, read 3,389,166 times
CTR, I've been giving some thought to this myself. First step is to contact the local (county, and city) to find out what "category" of "occupational" licensing you need. The toughest part may be getting to the proper "manager" in a given region to present your proposal. One of the important things to remember is to have a "point of difference" in your service being offered, compared to what others may be offering. Perhaps the banker would be willing to spend a few extra dollars to have you check on certain properties, to make certain they are secured on a weekly basis. A problem we're having here is high schoolers breaking in and trashing vacant houses with weekend parties, etc.

If anyone else has ideas, they should feel free to share them. I'm in Florida, so it's not like any suggestion I make to someone in Texas will loose me any money here. Maybe we can create a viable business and make some lemonade out of all these lemons......

Old 03-02-2009, 08:25 PM

Ok, I've been researching this all day. Here's what I came up with from others doing the same:
Going rate $25 per man hour plus dumpster rental. This one guy does "trash out" debris clean up and is very successful. He does it up north somewhere. Makes about $75K year. He gave me a copy of his ad and I tweaked it a bit, put it up on craigslist with my husband's info and within 30 mins. he had a guy call!! He wanted to know how much my hubby would charge to clean out his rental property some people skipped out on and paint it! So it works. My husband will have to go and look at the property to see about how much to charge him (how much time he'll think it'll take, how many people he'll need and what size dumpster to rent). The guy told my husband that he called some other guy and the guy quoted him $500 for the clean out only. I think that sounds about right. Also, my husband's brother, who does bank foreclosures in Houston, said we need to contact the Realtors who do specialize in selling REO's bank owned properties. So my hubby will hit the streets tomorrow morning and take his flyer and business card with him to give out to realtors. If you want a copy of the flyer you can DM me and I will only give to people who are not in my area!! LOL

Old 03-03-2009, 02:35 PM

957 posts, read 245,947 times
I think it's a great idea CTR36. I've read that this is a viable and growing business.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:20 PM

9,703 posts, read 12,010,717 times
My friend got involved in this and has been doing pretty well until recently with winterizing foreclosures and doing security of different foreclosed homes and cleaning them out as well. Business slowed down a bit, but he made out pretty well.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:17 AM
f_m

2,290 posts, read 5,147,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
Ok, I've been researching this all day. Here's what I came up with from others doing the same:
It's like they say, when everyone is buying, sell, when everyone is selling, buy. So when everyone is making a mess, clean up.

Just be careful about the dumpster thing. I don't know if there is some limit to the weight or capacity of filling the dumpster (based on possible landfill dumping fees). Example, this one below notes additional fees for certain items. Other items can only be recycled and not dumped, etc...

Make cleaning up easier - use a dumpster. Spring - Fall cleaning, remove trash, debris, appliances

I was thinking about this idea awhile back too. Just the drywall and painting and stuff would be pretty good. Heck, take pictures before then demo the drywall so everything is visible (better for buyers).

Old 03-05-2009, 07:55 AM

2 posts, read 43,245 times
Smile clean out business

hi, can you email me the flyer regarding the clean out business. I am in winston salem, NC and we are looking to start a clean out business.
My email address is mjscott.pa@triadbiz.rr.com

Thanks, MJ

Old 03-07-2009, 03:08 PM

1 posts, read 33,810 times
Default would like copy of flyer please

hi....i've been researching this all day....I cleaned out some of my landlord's properties, been reading about all these foreclosures and wondering if i could do it. I'd really like a copy of your hubbys flyer.....and how is it going? still think it has potential? i appreciate your time and consideration.

thanks,
margaret
(princessmargaretc@ymail)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
Going rate $25 per man hour plus dumpster rental. This one guy does "trash out" debris clean up and is very successful. He does it up north somewhere. Makes about $75K year. He gave me a copy of his ad and I tweaked it a bit, put it up on craigslist with my husband's info and within 30 mins. he had a guy call!! He wanted to know how much my hubby would charge to clean out his rental property some people skipped out on and paint it! So it works. My husband will have to go and look at the property to see about how much to charge him (how much time he'll think it'll take, how many people he'll need and what size dumpster to rent). The guy told my husband that he called some other guy and the guy quoted him $500 for the clean out only. I think that sounds about right. Also, my husband's brother, who does bank foreclosures in Houston, said we need to contact the Realtors who do specialize in selling REO's bank owned properties. So my hubby will hit the streets tomorrow morning and take his flyer and business card with him to give out to realtors. If you want a copy of the flyer you can DM me and I will only give to people who are not in my area!! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business