Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2009, 09:15 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times

Advertisements

6$ Stock ---- OMG and to think this was the company that all Babyboomers had in their retirement account....Classic Blue Chip stock now on sale!

They need to FIRE Immelt why that guy still is collecting his 20m$ a year is beyond me...Well we know why, because he stacked the Board with his own cheerleaders.

Shareholders need to stop rolling over for these corrupt CEOs and Demand Accountablility. (Remember that word)

Dow Regains Strength Despite GE Drag - Market Overview * US * News * Story - CNBC.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 10:54 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
The same could happen to any consumer goods manufacturer in the next few years.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:55 AM

188 posts, read 477,173 times
Its because they cut their quarterly dividends to .10/share. They have a pretty aggressive restructuring plan, and the dividend cut was told to save them i believe somewhere between 5-10 billion. They are going to bounce back, i hate to say it, but i do not see the government letting them fail either. Although GE did some stupid things with loans and the housing market, got greedy.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:14 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
I noticed in fast company this month they were pushing GE. I think it's a dog and immelt is a dog turd. Wouldn't touch that stock with a ten foot pole.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:38 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,253 times
What they don't tell you is that GE is more of a financial company than a manufacturing company.

Over 50% of its revenues was from financial products/services. That is why investors are running as fast as they can.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:27 PM

95 posts, read 244,877 times
GE is an extremely diversified company. GE Capital is the financial arm of GE. The company is looking to dump it. And yes, GE Capital did make mistakes with the whole subprime market. However, if GE fails and files for bankruptcy, you better start buying guns and ammo, 'cause it's gonna get really rough out there.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:49 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,398,012 times
GE has exposure to commercial financing, and is being dragged down due in part to the "oracle from Omaha" ??Warren Buffet diluting common shares with a sweetheart deal just short of extortion. The dividend cut came and the money men are scared sh-tless of Obama, Immelt is an adviser to the POTUS. Anyone who has ridden this stock down to sell here is playing into the hands of some very smart people who are buying here. The stimulus program has designs for "green" power generation, control and grid upgrade. GE has been positioning to capitalize on this as a biz plan for several years.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:30 AM

95 posts, read 244,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
What they don't tell you is that GE is more of a financial company than a manufacturing company.

Over 50% of its revenues was from financial products/services. That is why investors are running as fast as they can.
Maybe you're a tad off here. Check this out:
GE Businesses

or by alphabetized list

Extremely diversified. Of course it does own NBC, so one might wonder...

Old 03-06-2009, 08:56 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,893,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post

They need to FIRE Immelt why that guy still is collecting his 20m$ a year is beyond me...Well we know why, because he stacked the Board with his own cheerleaders.
We need a modern day Robin Hood to rip off these execs. They are pushing and pushing failed business models knowing they will either bust or suck in bailouts (our money) while collecting multi-million dollar bonuses. I'm sick of our government giving good money to bad business.

The proceeds, courtesy of dick head executives, can go towards laid off employees who got screwed out of severance, pensions, etc to feed, clothe, and house their families.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:45 PM

231 posts, read 630,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSWM View Post
<snip>Extremely diversified. Of course it does own NBC, so one might wonder...
We can only hope Fox buys NBC and makes Rush Lim the nightly anchor. Now that would be a news program worth watching. On a serious note, GE is probably a good buy as it is in line to profit handsomely off the Obama taxpayer funded renewable energy plans. GE has its fingers in all the right pies. The ETF XLI may be a good alternative if afraid of GE. It has a fair exposure to GE and similar firms. All should profit under Obama's AE plan. Disclosure: I do not own XLI but might by Monday night. It was a toss up today between XLP and XLI. XLP looked a little better on the basics and it hit on a low bid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business