Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 12:01 PM

364 posts, read 1,568,411 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about starting something up, just as a part time thing, and was hoping to get some input from a general crowd.

I was thinking about offering a "Computers for Dummies" (not called that) class/seminar targeted towards older blue collar adults that never received any training on how to use a computer. Just basic stuff, like copying and pasting things online, how to use ebay, how to use craigslist, setting up folders on your email, signatures, etc. I think you get the point. Just the basics that a lot of adults really don't know.

My question is, do you think that people would be interested in something like this? And if so, what a fair price point would be? I literally just thought about this over the weekend (as I had to walk my mom through ebay, step by step) so the idea is very, very in it's early stages. Just curious to know what others think about it. Any and all input is welcome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 12:13 PM

145 posts, read 301,578 times
I think it would be a good idea. My mother in law spent good money on a book for just that problem and now it has become a good paper wt..She is a very smart lady but that book was made for people that already had the basics down pat. It also stated( computers for dummies)..Whats a fair price?That is hard to say but I know if I would not get them calls at all hours, tell me how to do this?It would be priceless to me. good luck,go for it

Old 03-09-2009, 12:40 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,235,972 times
I think it's a good idea...I have friends that can turn it on but then they get lost...lol

Old 03-09-2009, 12:57 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,037,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkkt6 View Post
adults that never received any training on how to use a computer
It is interesting how many can figure out how to register and post on a forum to ask questions, but can't figure out how to use the forum search feature or Google. There is an abundance of online tutorial videos . . example.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:01 PM

364 posts, read 1,568,411 times
Tortoise -- thanks for the smart assed reply, but the people I'm talking about don't know how to find information like that.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:31 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,308,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkkt6 View Post
I'm thinking about starting something up, just as a part time thing, and was hoping to get some input from a general crowd.

I was thinking about offering a "Computers for Dummies" (not called that) class/seminar targeted towards older blue collar adults that never received any training on how to use a computer. Just basic stuff, like copying and pasting things online, how to use ebay, how to use craigslist, setting up folders on your email, signatures, etc. I think you get the point. Just the basics that a lot of adults really don't know.

My question is, do you think that people would be interested in something like this? And if so, what a fair price point would be? I literally just thought about this over the weekend (as I had to walk my mom through ebay, step by step) so the idea is very, very in it's early stages. Just curious to know what others think about it. Any and all input is welcome. Thanks!
I think it's a great idea, you'd be surprised how many people will find this valuble. Not sure if you are planning on one on one or group classes, because I know the one one one will go down a treat. Someone I knew wanted to do it for senior citizens and I encouraged her but nothing came of it. I've taught similar to some senior citizens who frequent the park I walk my dogs at. Most had no idea how to turn on a computer let alone send an email.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:36 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,000 times
Tricky in a number of ways - if it's a seminar, you need to have a room where everyone can have internet access as well as a smartboard or at least a projector. That likely means paying to rent a site, which cuts bottom line. Then, you have the marketing - how will you reach target audience? Internet marketing is probably of limited use, as people who would access the info online might not see the need for a basic course. That means old-school marketing which could be costly in time or money.

If you are talking one-to-one, you might be able to minimize your costs, but can you charge enough to make it worth your while, figuring in travel time, etc.?

One thought might be to do some kind of a hybrid, where you could develop a free message board, train people how to use it, and have people subscribe to take tutorials.

The key to any of it is finding a market - you might consider libraries, retirement communities, etc.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:25 PM

95 posts, read 244,910 times
It's a good idea. But on a one on one basis. Get them set up at home. Show them how to set up all their bookmarks for their favorite sites. Face book is good so they can see pics of the kids and grand kids. Show them how to look things up. Google toolbar all the good stuff. There is that guy with the CDs out there - I can't think of his name right now - that shows people how to use eBay and Criag's list and post in forums.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:35 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,037,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSWM View Post
There is that guy with the CDs out there
Video Professor

Old 03-09-2009, 03:45 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,308,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSWM View Post
It's a good idea. But on a one on one basis. Get them set up at home. Show them how to set up all their bookmarks for their favorite sites. Face book is good so they can see pics of the kids and grand kids. Show them how to look things up. Google toolbar all the good stuff. There is that guy with the CDs out there - I can't think of his name right now - that shows people how to use eBay and Criag's list and post in forums.
That might work for some people but there are people that need the human touch and someone next to them to ask questions. I never charged the people I taught as I was just helping out some old regulars from the dog park. But as someone mentioned they can be taught instant messaging (something we take for granted), emailing to keep incontact with family and facebook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business