Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 01:13 PM

754 posts, read 1,688,771 times

Advertisements

I looked at the stock configuration at Apple and they give you no wiggle room whatsoever. I was hoping to find a way to downgrade components, but nope. They've kind of got ya bent over so to speak. I have 5 computers (2 overclocked Q6600s, overclocked C2D, dual-core laptop, ASUS EEE) and I haven't even come close to $4000, let alone for one machine!?!? Granted the Mac Pro have Core i7s, but that's still nuts.
  • Yeah, terabyte HDDs are under $100 now. No sense in maxing out HDD space at Apple just for storage.
  • If you're looking to drive four screens, you'll obviously need two video cards. You said you wanted to game, but I'm not sure what games you're going to play on a Mac. Since it's a Mac, I'd get only one card with the machine stock and add the second card yourself. Any decent 2D PCI-E card should do. You don't need a high-end gaming card for displays 3 and 4.
  • Get the other 3 screens somewhere besides Apple. They won't match the original, but who cares?

These ideas should save you a bundle but won't do much for that base price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 01:37 PM

215 posts, read 605,188 times
I'm thinking I'm going to get it for work, I need to get out of gaming and all now. Wasted to much of my life on them. I still play the occasional WoW though.

Anyways, I'm looking at the Mac Pro Quad Core, and upgrading the memory to 8gb I think. I might go ahead and get two video cards from Apple and get 4 screens separate, since you can pretty much get 24" LCDs for a few hundred bucks now a days.

So, here's the config. for the Mac Pro I'm looking at.

The default 2.66ghz processor - included in base price
Upgrade the memory to 8gb - $250 (I might just add that myself)
1TB Hard Drive - $100 (or get the default 640gb for the OS and add the other 3 myself)
Nvidia Geforce GT 120 512mb x2 - $150 (Okish price I think)

All the other stuff (monitors, etc) I can get from Newegg. This brings the price to $2,999. Now, that I could somewhat afford, it'd take a while but I could do it.

Now that I've decided this is mainly for work, which I'll need a decent work computer for my video editing, web design, etc I might go ahead and get it now. I can also do my video work on here since it'd be a hell of a lot faster then this iMac my boss gave me -_-.

Now, for hard drive space, aren't 1tb's cheap these days? I'm thinking I could just get a few external ones and set them up with the others I've got. Video editing take up a lot of space .

For software, my boss has the corporte versions for everything just about and he's already going to allow me to use the software on the Mac if I get it, so that covers Final Cut Pro, Microsoft Office, etc, etc. I just need to get Adobe software for the web design.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:23 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,589,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceE View Post
I can write it off even if I don't have a business?
If you get a Form 1099 at the end of the year and pay all your own taxes you are already in business whether you like it or not. If you get a W-2 and have income tax withholding you are not although there are ways to deduct work related expenses.

When I bought a new computer I used a 179 deduction to write off the cost in one tax year rather than depreciating it across multiple years. You can also write off office furniture, office supplies, phone, mileage, etc.

I have my books set up around the Schedule C form and then at the end of the year I plug it all into Turbotax and it calculates everything. Easy peasy and you reduce your tax bill.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:10 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,186,892 times
BryceE, I'm not a computer person, but my son has his own Web Site company. he builds web sites for businesses. He buys all of his Mac's from e-bay, then up grades them as he needs to. He keeps his eyes on e-bay all the time looking for good deals.

I was helping him work on a couple of sites and my i-Mac was to slow so he bought one for me to use from e-bay..
It was less than a year old and he got it for less than half price of a new one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business