Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 11:17 AM

317 posts, read 816,186 times

Advertisements

I am preparing to take my GMAT and currently live in Florida. The program I am looking into is in Florida. I don't plan on living in the southeastern United States when I obtain my MBA.

How marketable is an MBA from the Southeastern part of the US in the Northeast or in the South West. I either want to go to LA or NY and start a career. My choice of schooling in Florida is because of the cost and I'm already setup with housing here.

Again, I haven't applied yet and plan to apply here in Florida, one school in California and a school in either NY, Boston and DC depending on my GMAT score.

Personal Experience would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 06:32 PM

Any Suggestions?

Old 07-05-2009, 06:33 PM

Any Suggestions?

Old 07-06-2009, 10:17 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,400,967 times
There are a few factors at play here. First is the caliber of school that you're applying to. Name recognition matters with MBA's. Especially if you're trying to enter into fields like investment banking, consulting, etc. Are you looking at Top-20 type schools?

Assuming that you are not looking at top-tier schools, you would probably do well to attend a school in the region that you want to live and work after graduation. You'll be able to plug in to the area during your MBA program and have a chance to establish your network much better than you would by moving after graduation.

Don't take a short-sighted view of your MBA educaton. I know that it would be easier for you to get an MBA in Florida since you're already settled there. However, that's a very poor reason to attend school in Florida.

Can you give a bit more insight into the schools that you're considering? That would likely help you with feedback.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:56 AM

4,818 posts, read 6,823,738 times
My only advice being a businessman and have a BS in Bus. Mgmt. is to take your masters from a REAL college. There is no more watered down major than the MBA. You've got "colleges" advertising an MBA degree on matchbook covers, tabloid newspapers and god knows how many online universities.. If you've received an MBA from FLY BY NIGHT UNIVERSITY, employers know this.

Do some homework as to the quality of the program and make sure it's affiliated with a known established university system.

I believe if you show up anywhere in the US with a legitimate MBA from a quality institution, any corporate personnel dept. will look positively at your resume and qualifications.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
There are a few factors at play here. First is the caliber of school that you're applying to. Name recognition matters with MBA's. Especially if you're trying to enter into fields like investment banking, consulting, etc. Are you looking at Top-20 type schools?

Assuming that you are not looking at top-tier schools, you would probably do well to attend a school in the region that you want to live and work after graduation. You'll be able to plug in to the area during your MBA program and have a chance to establish your network much better than you would by moving after graduation.

Don't take a short-sighted view of your MBA educaton. I know that it would be easier for you to get an MBA in Florida since you're already settled there. However, that's a very poor reason to attend school in Florida.

Can you give a bit more insight into the schools that you're considering? That would likely help you with feedback.
I'm not planning on living in Miami any longer than I have to but, depending on my GMAT score, which if in upper 600 -800 can open doors for things like scholarships and help broaden my choices, that outcome will really factor into my choices.

But, I'm planning on applying to 3 schools:
1) UCLA or Univ. Southern California (top tier schools very pricing, but in a region where I want to settle.)
2) 1 school in either NY, Boston or DC (my second choice as far as places to settle as well as the financial hub for MBA's in financial sectors)
3) I was going to apply locally to either Univ of Miami or Florida International Univ if I get a mediocre score, but still want to take advantage of a good program.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
My only advice being a businessman and have a BS in Bus. Mgmt. is to take your masters from a REAL college. There is no more watered down major than the MBA. You've got "colleges" advertising an MBA degree on matchbook covers, tabloid newspapers and god knows how many online universities.. If you've received an MBA from FLY BY NIGHT UNIVERSITY, employers know this.

Do some homework as to the quality of the program and make sure it's affiliated with a known established university system.

I believe if you show up anywhere in the US with a legitimate MBA from a quality institution, any corporate personnel dept. will look positively at your resume and qualifications.

Thanks for the feedback; I'm definitely not going to enter a weak program. I'm only looking into traditional accredited Universities & Colleges. I was only concerned because I know the final year of an MBA is all about preparing for recruitment and it's usually within the region. I'm currently in Miami and looking to relocate to NY or LA. The cost of tuition between regions is almost a $50,000 difference, even though the programs here in Florida are up to par, the business opportunity isn't as abundant as it is in LA or NY.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:45 PM

What kind of scores have you been getting on practice tests? That will give you a pretty good idea of how you'll do on the real GMAT and help you with your planning.

UCLA and USC are great schools if you want to live in the LA area. They're good schools in general, but especially good for those who want to stay local. Hard to go wrong with either one of those.

There are a lot of options in the Northeast, with many of the top-tier schools in that region. Do you have particular target schools in mind?

What field are you going into after you finish your MBA program?

Old 07-06-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
What kind of scores have you been getting on practice tests? That will give you a pretty good idea of how you'll do on the real GMAT and help you with your planning.

UCLA and USC are great schools if you want to live in the LA area. They're good schools in general, but especially good for those who want to stay local. Hard to go wrong with either one of those.

There are a lot of options in the Northeast, with many of the top-tier schools in that region. Do you have particular target schools in mind?

What field are you going into after you finish your MBA program?
I recently got back from L.A. a few weeks ago and loved it, but I was a little turned off by the economic problems that I've been hearing about the state as a whole.

I'm really not sure which direction I want to go yet. I was hoping to figure that out during the MBA process, being that I'm 27 and haven't started a significant career yet I am not set on a specific field and open to a new direction.

If I am going to be in Southern California I wouldn't mind working in the Entertainment/Sports business sector. If I'm in the Northeast I think the financial sector would be the way to go, which is the sector I currently work in, but wouldn't mind changing directions into something else.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler36 View Post
I'm really not sure which direction I want to go yet. I was hoping to figure that out during the MBA process, being that I'm 27 and haven't started a significant career yet I am not set on a specific field and open to a new direction.
Small piece of unsolicited advice...

When you're applying to schools, they're going to want to know exactly why you want an MBA and why you want to attend their university to get it. You probably already know that, but thought it was worth mentioning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business