Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 12:07 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,753 times

Advertisements

I own a small home based business and I'm having a hard time recruiting people. I've done ads, YouTube marketing, and solos. My biggest fear is having my business canceled. I don't want to violate the spam policy. The internet has a lot of competition now!

How and where could I attract customers to my business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 12:12 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
What are you selling?

Old 08-17-2009, 12:14 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
Join as many various community organizations as possilbe for networking and speaking engagements. You can find a list of these organizations from the SBA or the Chamber of Commerce.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
What are you selling?
Shaklee products and other programs. I've just gotten involved in the network marketing industry.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Join as many various community organizations as possilbe for networking and speaking engagements. You can find a list of these organizations from the SBA or the Chamber of Commerce.
Do you think Meet-ups are a good way as well?

Old 08-17-2009, 12:33 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
nothing beats the trust gained by face to face time

Old 08-17-2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
nothing beats the trust gained by face to face time
One of my biggest troubles is communication, but that's changing. I do have the habit to stutter a bit.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:11 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Shaklee products and other programs. I've just gotten involved in the network marketing industry.
Dont bother. I know you are all excited about your new venture. I also know that there is no other product better then Shaklee on the face of the earth. I also know Shaklee is the only product that actually does work unlike that trash advertised on TV that never has and never will work. Oh but if it's on TV it must work right? Wrong! But since Shaklee refuse to advertise, refuse to allow their product on any store shelf, charge an arm and a leg, wont let you use ebay and so on does leave you at a massive disadvantage.

I can also tell you from experience that you can give away hundreds of dollars in product to all your friends and family, give samples away at home parties and so on.....and years later go into their homes, open their cabinet and see your bottle of vitamins inside still unopened with a bottle of well used Centrum or Thurogram garbage full of coal tar and sugar half used up. Next you can go into their bathrooms and see the unopened makeup, clensing bars and everything else you gave them just rotting in the drawer while the Revlon and Rave is well used.

It hurts and it hurts bad. The only people making money in Shaklee are the old old old uplines who been at it for decades. There are only a tiny handful of Shaklee distributors who dont have to work for a living anymore with the free car and free trips.

Lastly I can say most Shaklee users are well off financially. Anyone who has trouble making their bills are not going to buy your lipstick or vitamins for $15 when they can go to Walmart and buy that dangerous toxic Chinese junk for 1 dollar. People do not care, money drives purchases. And in this economic depression, who has any money? It's a luxury to buy Shaklee. You know that, you been to the meetings. Everyone looks so young and healthy. Yes because they can afford to buy quality products that keep you young. How many of that marketplace is in your circle of friends which is always the starting point of any new business.

Give it hell and I wish you luck but I beg of you not to count your future on it. I also beg of you if you want to live longer and always look young then you be just a user and take advantage of your discount. Like me, for the past 25 years.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Dont bother. I know you are all excited about your new venture. I also know that there is no other product better then Shaklee on the face of the earth. I also know Shaklee is the only product that actually does work unlike that trash advertised on TV that never has and never will work. Oh but if it's on TV it must work right? Wrong! But since Shaklee refuse to advertise, refuse to allow their product on any store shelf, charge an arm and a leg, wont let you use ebay and so on does leave you at a massive disadvantage.

I can also tell you from experience that you can give away hundreds of dollars in product to all your friends and family, give samples away at home parties and so on.....and years later go into their homes, open their cabinet and see your bottle of vitamins inside still unopened with a bottle of well used Centrum or Thurogram garbage full of coal tar and sugar half used up. Next you can go into their bathrooms and see the unopened makeup, clensing bars and everything else you gave them just rotting in the drawer while the Revlon and Rave is well used.

It hurts and it hurts bad. The only people making money in Shaklee are the old old old uplines who been at it for decades. There are only a tiny handful of Shaklee distributors who dont have to work for a living anymore with the free car and free trips.

Lastly I can say most Shaklee users are well off financially. Anyone who has trouble making their bills are not going to buy your lipstick or vitamins for $15 when they can go to Walmart and buy that dangerous toxic Chinese junk for 1 dollar. People do not care, money drives purchases. And in this economic depression, who has any money? It's a luxury to buy Shaklee. You know that, you been to the meetings. Everyone looks so young and healthy. Yes because they can afford to buy quality products that keep you young. How many of that marketplace is in your circle of friends which is always the starting point of any new business.

Give it hell and I wish you luck but I beg of you not to count your future on it. I also beg of you if you want to live longer and always look young then you be just a user and take advantage of your discount. Like me, for the past 25 years.
Thanks for the tip.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:39 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post

MLM =+- Ponzi

The moment someone sticks "multi-level-marketing" in my face, I immediately think "You are planning to make huge amounts of money, on the backs and stupidity of thousands of other people who have bought into the same MLM plan. Just what part of a pyramid having a wider base than the top don't you understand? Just how big is your ego that you think you can outsell and outthink those thousands of other suckers?"

At least the "Send $6 to ..." schemes have the decency not to dress it up with products which may or may not be great, but are BY DEFINITION overpriced. In this economic environment, do you really think that selling overpriced goods in hopes of striking it rich is a viable business plan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business