U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2007, 10:37 PM

286 posts, read 1,458,078 times

Advertisements

I am horrible at being original with ideas...

We run an on-site computer support and repair business. We've only started this past winter. We know we have the formula right with prices and customer satisfaction and we're in a decent area to pick up business. We are on the yellowpages online, but not in phone books, we have a good website, we have good brochures, and we have good references.

We *need* to get more business rolling. We exihibited the a Home & Garden Show and that worked out well. We were busy busy for over a month. But, now things have settled down greatly. I have sent out mailers to neighborhoods we've already done work in, but no responses. We have been promoting a grand opening special (25% off labor for new customers), promote referral bonuses for existing customers, and also promoting free onsite diagnostic. I know we need to exstablish an office location, but we need the income coming in first to support it (catch 22 ..). We are on an extremely limited budget (I cannot stress this enough!), and aside from going out in neighborhoods door to door to meet new folks and introduce the company, I am out of ideas.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 11:33 AM

17,175 posts, read 22,205,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagirl View Post
I am horrible at being original with ideas...

We run an on-site computer support and repair business. We've only started this past winter. We know we have the formula right with prices and customer satisfaction and we're in a decent area to pick up business. We are on the yellowpages online, but not in phone books, we have a good website, we have good brochures, and we have good references.

We *need* to get more business rolling. We exihibited the a Home & Garden Show and that worked out well. We were busy busy for over a month. But, now things have settled down greatly. I have sent out mailers to neighborhoods we've already done work in, but no responses. We have been promoting a grand opening special (25% off labor for new customers), promote referral bonuses for existing customers, and also promoting free onsite diagnostic. I know we need to exstablish an office location, but we need the income coming in first to support it (catch 22 ..). We are on an extremely limited budget (I cannot stress this enough!), and aside from going out in neighborhoods door to door to meet new folks and introduce the company, I am out of ideas.

Anyone have any suggestions?
hi bubba,,,i wish there was a business like yours around here, that would come onsite, for a complete "computer physical"

i do remember,,,a computer repair business,,getting free advertisement, volunteering a couple hours,,,,for donated computers, (going to nursing homes, etc, to check them out,, its not bad for free advertisement,,,check to see if anyone is doing this locally,

maybe see if you can write some "free-tips" for the local paper,,,,its great for name recognition,

put an ad in the local paper,,,having problems with your dell"?? WE SPEAK ENGLISH!!

Old 05-08-2007, 11:54 AM

286 posts, read 1,458,078 times
Default Thanks for the idea!

LOL - Thats a great motto!

There is a local charity that works with donating, and we've tried contacting them about us hosting a used equipment drive (we help them check equipment in, sort it, etc; all the while, inviting local radio station for a live broadcast and news stations to get the info out), but so far no one has gotten back with us. That reminds me... need to give 'em a call.

Thanks again!

Old 05-08-2007, 01:32 PM

373 posts, read 1,675,023 times
Have you joined your local Chamber of Commerce? I often go to business socials that my C of C puts on and have made connections that way with other businesses. My C of C also offers really cheap advertising in their monthly newsletter.

Old 06-03-2007, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,081 times
Hi there,
I did a quick ALEXA test and your Site rated in the top 5.5 million websites. That's pretty decent considering most websites don't even rank.

Have you conducted marketing research? It may be that the challenge might include a) the size of your market; b) local economy (disposable income) c) availability of similar services.

I have no idea the difficulty in setting-up a similar business. Low cost, easy entry can cause competition.... Just a thought.

Looking at this from another perspective, you have a wealth of knowledge that people are actively seeking so there may be a way to drive more traffic to your site. What you are really looking for is warm, targeted traffic who are pre-sold and to whom you can monetize. If you'd like more info on this, please send an email - I'll be pleased to send along a link to a great resource.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:32 PM

13,447 posts, read 24,235,663 times
Let people know that you will set up wireless routers and home hot spots. Offer to check their security with a wifi locator to make sure they are not providing service for the neighborhood. I bet you could make a mint just going through registers to get rid of those horrible built in viruses that come with your computer(like norton and mcaffee). Set up their laptops with wifi cards.

Hold a digital photography class.

Set up ethernet/lans/vlans.

Work with local contractors to run cat 5 in new homes. Study your local FTTH market. That's going to be the future so get your fiber certification too!

Old 06-03-2007, 08:45 PM

3,306 posts, read 3,327,921 times
Quote:
We know we have the formula right with prices and customer satisfaction and we're in a decent area to pick up business.
How do you know this? Anyhow, I personally find this sort of thinking very deadly for businesses. You have a problem, lack of revenue. So since you think your business idea is great, you think its a marketing problem. So now you are going to spend time and money solving a marketing problem, but what if it was a problem with the original business idea that no amount of marketing could solve? The problem may be pretty easy to fix and yet since you are only looking at marketing to solve your revenue problem you'd never see it, because you "just know" how great your strategy is.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:53 AM

256 posts, read 382,594 times
One of the precepts of marketing is that your customer base must be contacted **at least** every 2 months. That means re-contacts.

Since you already are on-line, how about an on-line newsletter / blog that gives hints and tips? E-mail subscription newletter that includes links with some kick-backs? Add a "special" to e-newsletters that are already have huge subscriptions?

The other thing is to put fliers up at large supermarket bulletin boards and make arrangements with local condos / upscale apartments to provide subscription-computer repair services.

Contact Geek-Squad and see if you can be a part of them??

And do consider Humanoid's comments seriously!

Cheerio!
turtlemom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*
~*~ THE ZEN OF SARCASM ~*~
~*~ 16. A closed mouth gathers no foot. ~*~
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or