Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 04:19 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,777,604 times

Advertisements

I have an S-Corp for my internet business which involves two web sites. The S-Corp is my company name and then the web sites have two domain names. My question is; I'm thinking of starting a service based business, no store front and it would also be home based. Can I just make up another name and run my income from this business through the same S-Corp? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 09:43 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Hey Rapture, you really need to sit down with a tax accountant and a lawyer that specializes in company organizations for your state. You maybe able to do exactly what your describing but how advantageous from a Federal and State tax standpoint is your idea? That's the million dollar question that can cost you big money in the long run. My tax accountant and business lawyer are two of my company's most valuable assets.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Hey Rapture, you really need to sit down with a tax accountant and a lawyer that specializes in company organizations for your state. You maybe able to do exactly what your describing but how advantageous from a Federal and State tax standpoint is your idea? That's the million dollar question that can cost you big money in the long run. My tax accountant and business lawyer are two of my company's most valuable assets.
Thanks and agreed. Problem is, in the last 3.5 yrs living here I've been through three accountants (bad and caused me fines) and have yet to find a good attorney that has a clue. I don't know why that is but it seems like I get better advice on the internet.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:28 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,163,018 times
As bulldogdad said, whether you are permitted to do this and whether it's a good idea to do it are 2 separate questions. Aside from possible tax issues there could also be liability issues. If someone sues you for problems related to one of the businesses you could lose everything, whereas if you have each business set up as a separate legal entity that would not be the case. Find an attorney from a "boutique" that specializes in small business matters.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:59 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Thanks and agreed. Problem is, in the last 3.5 yrs living here I've been through three accountants (bad and caused me fines) and have yet to find a good attorney that has a clue. I don't know why that is but it seems like I get better advice on the internet.
That really sucks. I feel for you. My accountant and attorney were referrals from some of the most successful business owners in my area. One of them my Dad. Fortunately for me they are also long time residents and know the state regulations very well. If I were you I would attend a few local Chamber of Commerce functions make some contacts with long time business owners and see who they are using. The Chamber President will probably tell you who is the best in your area. They will not be cheap by the way. Good Luck.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:02 PM

45 posts, read 143,438 times
Don't put all of your eggs in one basket. old silly saying I know but...

The cost of a new corp might cost you some now but could save you big some day. I'd set up a new corp for the new venture.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:45 AM

23,599 posts, read 70,412,676 times
IMO, a corp should sell products according to the code used during incorporation. If you are set up as a computer repair and then start selling ladies undies, things could get confusing, you would miss out on targeted listings, and not be taken seriously if the business took off. There are exceptions, but I'd start a new corp.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
IMO, a corp should sell products according to the code used during incorporation. If you are set up as a computer repair and then start selling ladies undies, things could get confusing, you would miss out on targeted listings, and not be taken seriously if the business took off. There are exceptions, but I'd start a new corp.
I agree but my company name is generic enough that I can sell almost anything under it. I would be using a different name anyway for the new business being the web site names are whatever their domain is. It would be like d/b/a.

It seems most people are saying start a new corp. which may be the right thing to do but it's not cheap. The paperwork for the one corp. is a pain in the neck and to have my taxes done are already a nightmare plus cost me more. So far the only benefit I've seen was being able to pay myself and partner dividends w/o being taxed twice, which is a nice benefit. My internet business at this point doesn't make really a lot of money, it's really just side money. I wonder if I did add this new business under my current S-Corp now but can change it later? Obviously I need a good accountant but seems hard to find.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:59 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,518,581 times
Rapture,
whereabouts in SC are you?

Old 08-21-2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Rapture,
whereabouts in SC are you?
Near Myrtle Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business