U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2010, 10:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,632 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any ideas for creative financing? We have good income, just lousy credit. What does seller carry back mean? I want to purchase a home, have down payment and income. They are willing to rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 09:04 AM

1,097 posts, read 3,495,123 times
Seller carry back means the seller loans you part of the purchase price of the property and carries a promissory note, which may or may not be secured by a mortgage (but should be).

So let's say the property is going to sell for 100,000, it will appraise for 100,000, and there is an 80,000 mortgage on it. You might be able to get financing if the loan-to-value ratio is 80%, but maybe not if the LTV ratio is higher. Since you don't have 20,000 laying around, the seller agrees to loan you the down payment of 20,000 so that you can get a mortgage. You give the seller a promissory note, and the seller then records a second mortgage, so if you don't pay him back, he can foreclose.

Since you have to disclose the source of the funds you're using to pay for the home, these don't work very well in residential transactions (unless you lie or just fail to disclose it, which can get you in trouble).

You may be able to buy the home on contract while living in it. You and the seller agree you will pay a certain amount in monthly installments, and when you've made all the payments you own the home.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:11 AM

3,553 posts, read 6,788,849 times
Naptowner wrote;
Quote:
You may be able to buy the home on contract while living in it. You and the seller agree you will pay a certain amount in monthly installments, and when you've made all the payments you own the home.
NO NO NO NO NO, Don't EVER buy a house on a "contract for deed". I'm running out of time here but here's a short reason why not. Just ask you attorney the following question; "While I'm paying this guy let's say the IRS PUTS A LIEN ON ALL HIS STUFF. How much will you charge me to get me put BACK AHEAD of the IRS?"

The answer from your attorney will tell you why it's idiotic to do this.

If your credit is shaky FIX THAT, and then consider buying a house. Prices may well be lower in a year anyway.

golfgod

Old 01-25-2010, 10:55 AM

3,698 posts, read 9,989,374 times
Here's a thought - rent, save more money, and restore your credit. In two or three years you'll be able to take out a mortgage.

You didn't screw up your credit overnight, so you shouldn't expect it to be able to suddenly borrow money overnight.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:03 PM

1,097 posts, read 3,495,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
Naptowner wrote;

NO NO NO NO NO, Don't EVER buy a house on a "contract for deed". I'm running out of time here but here's a short reason why not. Just ask you attorney the following question; "While I'm paying this guy let's say the IRS PUTS A LIEN ON ALL HIS STUFF. How much will you charge me to get me put BACK AHEAD of the IRS?"

The answer from your attorney will tell you why it's idiotic to do this.

If your credit is shaky FIX THAT, and then consider buying a house. Prices may well be lower in a year anyway.

golfgod
Good point. But it's not idiotic advice - although I should have gone on to explain some of the risks of buying real estate on a contract. The fact is, most people will sell a home on contract for about the same price they would charge as rent. And since they are required to sell you the home, you have some recourse against the seller. Of course, that doesn't do you any good if the seller goes broke and files bankruptcy.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:22 PM

32 posts, read 73,017 times
this happened to me what can happen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business