Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 05:34 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,680,554 times

Advertisements

Recently started a new job and was quite surprised that they did not request any ID, whatsoever! Not even the ol' Social Security Card! Nothing. Even after two weeks.

I could have written on the W2 that I was Mrs. Richard Cranium and how would they even know who the heck I really am? You'd think especailly after 911... And it was a reputable company (albeit small & local), which I googled before I applied. So I was surprised.

I should have told them I was Rita Miller, AKA Oda May Brown.
Has anyone else come across such slackers in the job market? (Was, indeed, a red flag. Needless to say, I didn't stay.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 10:14 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
By law they have to file an I9 form saying that you are legal to work and to do that they must see some documentation. I have worked for some that insisted on multiple pieces of ID, and others that did not ask to see anything.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:43 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,372,728 times
Are they paying you under the table? Or is there an HR department - surely something is going to catch up with you to get your SSN.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:29 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,016,016 times
When I started my last job 3 years ago, they did not ask for copies of an ID or SSN. I thought that was strange. I supplied it to them without them asking.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:16 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
Recently started a new job and was quite surprised that they did not request any ID, whatsoever! Not even the ol' Social Security Card! Nothing. Even after two weeks.

I could have written on the W2 that I was Mrs. Richard Cranium and how would they even know who the heck I really am? You'd think especailly after 911... And it was a reputable company (albeit small & local), which I googled before I applied. So I was surprised.

I should have told them I was Rita Miller, AKA Oda May Brown.
Has anyone else come across such slackers in the job market? (Was, indeed, a red flag. Needless to say, I didn't stay.)
Love the reference to Whoopie Goldberg's character in Ghost - and also the Richard Cranium reference! I have to use that one...

But it is frightening that they are hiring people with no ID verification at all - what about a background check? You can't have one done without ID, so you might as well have been John Wayne Gacy as far as they are concerned. You don't have clown suit, do you?

Old 06-06-2007, 11:37 AM

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts

Nope, JHL, not under the table. And I did fill out the W2. It's just that I could have put my sister's (or anyone's) info if I'd wanted to. No Human Resources, just the payroll/accountant & bosses. I had the things ready to offer. Nobody had the "time."
Just got so accustomed over the years, even pre-911, with (good) places being so thorough, and making copies of the ID & SS ... And I did appreciate the ones which drug test as well. And they called references!!
No coincidence that they did turn out to be the best places to work.

Cdelena & PL, did you find that the places who required the ID were better run operations and better to work for than the ones who didn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
But it is frightening that they are hiring people with no ID verification at all - what about a background check? You can't have one done without ID, so you might as well have been John Wayne Gacy as far as they are concerned.
Bingo, DH!
No suit, but I could call Brian Doheny and ask to borrow his

Last edited by Travel'r; 06-06-2007 at 11:45 AM..

Old 06-06-2007, 02:19 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
Cdelena & PL, did you find that the places who required the ID were better run operations and better to work for than the ones who didn't?
The HR departments or office managers that do things by the book are better organized and seem to handle administration much more efficiently. This does not necessarily reflect on how the core business is run, some are very effective and others not. There is probably some correlation between following proper procedure and good business operations but I do not know how strong it is.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:19 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,016,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
The HR departments or office managers that do things by the book are better organized and seem to handle administration much more efficiently. This does not necessarily reflect on how the core business is run, some are very effective and others not. There is probably some correlation between following proper procedure and good business operations but I do not know how strong it is.
Where I work is a very small office .... but there's times I think they're a bit brain dead. It's a very organized office in some aspects, but not in others.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:32 AM

1,332 posts, read 1,989,631 times
All of these comments are amazing.

Welcome to "1984" - where we are all under absolute control, we can't trust anyone, we cannot leave anything to our own judgement and no one should be credited with an iota of integrity.

There is more going on behind the scenes than you realize. So, these employers may not be acting so irresponsibly.

For instance, when I have the opportunities to hire someone, I do treat them with respect to their integrity. I judge them by the fact if they are from the local area (and often someone else in the organization does know at least something about them), I do check their references (without them knowing it), and if it is a false SS#, that will come out soon enough.

Much depends on what their job responsibility will be. If it does not require high security - You treat them with respect to their integrity.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
All of these comments are amazing.
Welcome to "1984" - where we are all under absolute control, we can't trust anyone, we cannot leave anything to our own judgement and no one should be credited with an iota of integrity.

Much depends on what their job responsibility will be. If it does not require high security - You treat them with respect to their integrity.
The thing is, this job, while more "laid back", treated like pondscum, while the (more selective) others did have integrity and treated everyone with respect, and morale was extremely high.
Theft, high/drunk employees, and high turnover are big issues at workplaces which aren't quite so "picky".

Welcome to 2007 - post 911 - where we can't be as naive and trusting as we could in times past, unless we live in a nice town where folks actually know each other. I'm not even originally from this suburb, so rely on employers calling my references, and hope they do.

Last edited by Travel'r; 06-07-2007 at 10:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business