Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2007, 01:27 PM

8,937 posts, read 20,360,557 times

Advertisements

Where I work, 4 yrs. now, my title is Materials Coordinator. I do all of the data entry for Purchasing, Inventory Control, plus. Up until this past March, the Director of Materials has been doing the POR's
(Purchase Order Requisitions) as the Buyer. He would give me this POR to creat a Purchase Order in the computer and print out, etc. This last March, after I returned from a surgery, he handed his duties of POR "Buyer"/Inventory Management over to me. Unfortunately, I did not get a raise or a new title for these extra duties. At my Yearly Review this last April, I asked him about a new title and he told me "You don't do Contracts or Negociations, so I can not consider you a Buyer." I didn't like his answer (neither did my wife), but accepted it. I started to investigate into this and found out that I'm actually considered a Junior Buyer. I mean, I do sign my name on the POR where is says "Buyer".
I also noticed on our Departmental Organizational Chart (the one given to me before my surgery), the Director has a Buyer as a budgeted position to someday hire. The same Chart given to me after my return from surgery does not show a Buyer in the budget area.
Did this APICS certified guy mess me over by giving me the duties and not a new title/pay raise????
Please, give me some info!! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 02:18 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,597 times
There are so many factors to look at. Before we address you specific situation.
1. Was this vacant position reallocated to another department?
2. Was there a budget cut?
3. Were there layoffs?
4. Was there a re-structuring of some kind?
5. Do you work in the private or public sector?

Lots of questions and more info needed from your end. Also, yes, I use to work in puchasing many years ago.

Also, take a look at your position description and see if these new duties are covered. If you are in the govt - what series do you fall under and are these new duties included? There are so, so many different aspects to this before I can even give you an honest answer. I will try to help, however.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:02 PM

The position of Buyer was being done by the Director of Materials who is a CPM from APICS.
There was no budget cut. My wife and I, along with another employee I work with, think that he just "gave" me the buying duties to save money in the department.
No layoffs at all.
Re-structuring.......yes. He decided to hire another person to help out in the department. He also gave me his duties of Inventory Management and Buying so he could do other duties.
I work in healthcare for a non-profit/government funded company.
I looked at the new Departmental Organizational Chart for us and NO my new duties were not on that chart. I was both stunned and mad. All he done was to decide to give me his buying and inventory management duties without a new title or raise.
Hope the above helps you to understand more of what happened to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
There are so many factors to look at. Before we address you specific situation.
1. Was this vacant position reallocated to another department?
2. Was there a budget cut?
3. Were there layoffs?
4. Was there a re-structuring of some kind?
5. Do you work in the private or public sector?

Lots of questions and more info needed from your end. Also, yes, I use to work in puchasing many years ago.

Also, take a look at your position description and see if these new duties are covered. If you are in the govt - what series do you fall under and are these new duties included? There are so, so many different aspects to this before I can even give you an honest answer. I will try to help, however.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:12 PM

Another thing, my wife and I are in the process of selling our house and moving to another State (with less of a winter). My supervisor/Director knows we are selling our house and moving out of State, but doesn't not know when......as we don't either because we have to wait until our house sells. Anyway, once I give my 2-week Notice I plan on going to Corporte/HR and asking them if they know that I'm buying everything in our warehouse and want to make sure that they have the info about my new duties so my resume' can be verified with them. Unfortunately, HR may go along with my Supervisor/Director when it comes to why I didn't get the new title or raise. I can only hope that HR with accept that I am a Junior Buyer and verify that after I put it on my resume'.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:03 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
I hope you are aware that in any business except governmental, that a position can be called anything that the guys on top want to call it. Responsibilities can also be assigned or changed at a whim of the management staff. Titles don't mean squat as the duties differ so widely from place to place. Those duties and responsibilities are what you want to put on your resume. Forget about the title. Whether or not you think it fair is inmaterial to your future employment.

I would play it cool since you are planing on leaving. You want a good reference. You wouldn't have to irritate but ONE person and if that person was in charge of putting in a good word for you......you would most likely not get one.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:35 PM

Well, we don't know really what to say about the couple of replies that we have gotten! All we DO know is that I was given Junior Buyer duties (as described on some Internet sites) along with inventory management duties (that coincide with the Jr. Buyer duties) with NO additional or a new or revised title.........NOT FAIR AND NOT RIGHT!!
The wife and I will no longer make anymore comments in this Thread, but will say "thanks" to anyone who has/or will make any replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business