Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2010, 10:07 PM

323 posts, read 939,984 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I’m considering a job opportunity in Calgary right now, and I’m an American so I really don’t know anything about that area. I was hoping some of you could answer some questions.

Just to give you some more background info, I am 29, not married, have no kids, and grew up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (a few hours from Sault St. Marie, Ontario) so LONG cold winters are something I’m used to. People say my accent sounds Canadian all the time so I might blend in a little better. The address of the company I’m applying for is: 3526 26th St. NE in Calgary.

So on with my questions:

When does snowfall usually start and when does it completely thaw out? I've read about the Chinooks, do they keep the snow accumulation down?

How expensive is the cost of living in Calgary? I’m getting the impression that it’s almost “New York Expensive”. Is that true?

What is the average rent for a 1 bedroom?

What would you consider to be the minimum salary to live “comfortably” in Calgary?

By that I mean able to pay the bills, afford rent, go out to dinner or to the bars, etc. and vacation every once in awhile. I’m a Product Designer and my average salary range for my experience level would normally be around 45-55K in the Midwest. I'm not sure how high I would want to ask for yet. By comparison, in 2007 I was talking to a Toronto company and they offered 55-60K.

How bad are income and other taxes?

What is the price of gas currently?

How expensive is car insurance?

How are the road systems and public trans in Calgary?

Is there an active music scene there?

How is the culture and Arts in Calgary?

Last edited by Further North; 06-17-2010 at 10:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 08:52 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,283,943 times
So on with my questions:

When does snowfall usually start and when does it completely thaw out? I've read about the Chinooks, do they keep the snow accumulation down?

Everything thaws out repeatedly during the winter due to Chinooks. The really cold weather is gone by mid-March, but you can get snow/crap weather any time during the year. Generally Victoria Day (the weekend before Memorial Day) is considered full spring, and is when the bedding plants and camping begins. Labour Day is the end of summer, but the fall tends to be mild right into late October.

Chinooks are the greatest thing about a Calgary winter. You can go from minus double digits to above freezing in about an hour. As a result, the snow doesn't tend to stick around all winter, but really cycles.

How expensive is the cost of living in Calgary? I’m getting the impression that it’s almost “New York Expensive”. Is that true?

No, and yes. By the time you totally accumulate all the increased costs, it probably is close. On a line by line comparison. Nowhere near. Rent will be considerably less, but on average food is about 20-30% more than the US, as is gas. I always thought that eating out was reasonable when I grew up there, but now living in Texas, it is much more expensive than here.

What is the average rent for a 1 bedroom?

Depends greatly on location but generally $700+ all inclusive.

What would you consider to be the minimum salary to live “comfortably” in Calgary?

By that I mean able to pay the bills, afford rent, go out to dinner or to the bars, etc. and vacation every once in awhile. I’m a Product Designer and my average salary range for my experience level would normally be around 45-55K in the Midwest. I'm not sure how high I would want to ask for yet. By comparison, in 2007 I was talking to a Toronto company and they offered 55-60K.

$60K as a single guy you would be comfortable. Not outrageous, but solid.

How bad are income and other taxes?

Alberta is the cheapest province in Canada, with no provincial sales tax, only a 5% GST, and the lowest personal income tax rates. Tax rates are probably similar to the US, however there are fewer available deductions.

What is the price of gas currently?

$0.86/L = $3.25/USG in Canadian $

Comprable. Big thing is making sure that you pull a full licence transcript before you come up so you don't get tagged as a new driver.

How are the road systems and public trans in Calgary?

Roads are decent, but lacking in really major freeways, and public transit is very good and highly utilized. That being said, Calgary is a car city and is extremely suburban.

Is there an active music scene there?

Yes, but it would be comparable to a small US city, and nowhere near Vancouver or Toronto.

How is the culture and Arts in Calgary?

As expected with any large centre. There is a Symphony Orchestra, ballet company, multiple theater companies, Opera, major concert/show tours, decent museums, and within reach are the Royal Tyrell for paleontology in Drumheller, plus you are adjacent to the Rockies with all the outdoor pursuits that that entails.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:44 PM

323 posts, read 939,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post

Comprable. Big thing is making sure that you pull a full licence transcript before you come up so you don't get tagged as a new driver.
Good point! I'll definitely have to mention that. Should I basically bring a copy of my driving record if I can obtain that? Nothing bad on there either really. My last speeding ticket was in 2007.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:48 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,283,943 times
I would. If you have a good history with your insurance company, probably a letter from them wouldn't hurt. Probably totally unnecessary, but better to be safe than sorry.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:33 AM

156 posts, read 391,105 times
Its basically a huge suburb... I'd say your looking at $800/month for rent. Though I'm under 25 I pay $125 per month for only liability. It'd be around $250 if I wanted full car insurance. I have friends paying $400+ with new vehicles.

Not much of a music or art scene. It gets very cold sometimes and the chinooks are very nice. Summer is DRY and windy. It gets cold enough overnight during the summer you'll need a sweater. I paid 20% income tax last year; I'm sure you could find more tax information online.

Calgary isn't cheap or rich with culture but its a nice city imo. Places like Bragg Creek and Canmore (rocky mountains) are very close and there is lots of opportunity to land a great job with great pay. The mindset is a little like Texas.. You'll find alot of heavy equipment and lifted diesel pickups.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary