U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-14-2010, 09:31 PM
 
7 posts, read 32,833 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Just found this forum and looking for some help. We are moving from Toronto to Calgary and wondered where I can find some info about the Catholic schools in Calgary. Does anyone know which of the schools would be considered better in terms of quality of teaching? Also, we are looking to buy a new home (1-3 years old) further out so we can afford it so wondered if anyone could recommend some of the newer areas to consider.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Doucer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-16-2010, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
7,890 posts, read 10,386,719 times
Reputation: 9377
CSSD Home

Where are you going to be working?

What direction you should look in for housing is dependent on your budget and where you're actually going to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2010, 10:39 PM
 
7 posts, read 32,833 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
CSSD Home

Where are you going to be working?

What direction you should look in for housing is dependent on your budget and where you're actually going to work.
Sorry for the delay. Just got back from a real estate trip to Calgary.

We will be working downtown. We want a shorter commute (30 mins) but also a newer house. Budget max is around $700k.

Does this help? I looked northwest and southwest. Decent house prices as you go further out. Southwest seems to be an easier commute.

Any help is appreciated.

Doucer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2010, 11:37 PM
 
4 posts, read 13,044 times
Reputation: 12
Default The world is your oyster

With the budget you have, you will have no problem finding a place that fits your needs.

I'll start by saying I know nothing about the Catholic school system - but here is their website: CSSD Home

As for property - I think that the major determinant will be how you choose to get downtown. Driving? Calgary has the highest parking rates in North America. That leaves the C-train and/or the bus...or your bike.

I could list dozens of communities in both the northwest and southwest of the city that would be excellent and which are within 30 minutes of downtown (by transit). However, if I had your budget - I would look at Garrison Woods/South Calgary/Marda Loop/Altadore- especially Garrison Woods (particularly if attached housing is not an issue).

Garrison is an an award winning "brownfield" redevelopment which reclaimed a huge portion of what once was CFB Calgary. Almost all the houses are newer (in the last 10 years) or extensively renovated (old PMQ's which you'd never know were once military housing). The area is very upscale, but very close to huge parks and major roads, yet it is secluded and quiet. Garrison also has a small village type area and great walking paths - I even saw a woman on a Segway there one day!. I know the area also houses several Catholic and bilingual schools. It's not on the C-train line, but there are express busses at rush hour. I have a friend who lives in Garrison and bikes into downtown with a "motor assisted" bike - and it takes him about 20 minutes each way.

Others will suggest other neighbourhoods, but I'd look at Garrison Woods. (If not, I'd look at Wentworth/Springbank Hill on the west side - as it minutes from the mountains, is almost brand new and will be very easily accessible when they finish the C-train extension...in December 2012 - but as it stands, it's about 20 mins by car and 30 or so by bus).

Good luck - and welcome to Calgary!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2010, 10:18 PM
 
7 posts, read 32,833 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejeanesque View Post
With the budget you have, you will have no problem finding a place that fits your needs.

I'll start by saying I know nothing about the Catholic school system - but here is their website: CSSD Home

As for property - I think that the major determinant will be how you choose to get downtown. Driving? Calgary has the highest parking rates in North America. That leaves the C-train and/or the bus...or your bike.

I could list dozens of communities in both the northwest and southwest of the city that would be excellent and which are within 30 minutes of downtown (by transit). However, if I had your budget - I would look at Garrison Woods/South Calgary/Marda Loop/Altadore- especially Garrison Woods (particularly if attached housing is not an issue).

Garrison is an an award winning "brownfield" redevelopment which reclaimed a huge portion of what once was CFB Calgary. Almost all the houses are newer (in the last 10 years) or extensively renovated (old PMQ's which you'd never know were once military housing). The area is very upscale, but very close to huge parks and major roads, yet it is secluded and quiet. Garrison also has a small village type area and great walking paths - I even saw a woman on a Segway there one day!. I know the area also houses several Catholic and bilingual schools. It's not on the C-train line, but there are express busses at rush hour. I have a friend who lives in Garrison and bikes into downtown with a "motor assisted" bike - and it takes him about 20 minutes each way.

Others will suggest other neighbourhoods, but I'd look at Garrison Woods. (If not, I'd look at Wentworth/Springbank Hill on the west side - as it minutes from the mountains, is almost brand new and will be very easily accessible when they finish the C-train extension...in December 2012 - but as it stands, it's about 20 mins by car and 30 or so by bus).

Good luck - and welcome to Calgary!
Thanks very much for your help.

Doucer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2010, 01:07 AM
 
4 posts, read 13,044 times
Reputation: 12
Here is more information: a recent article in a local mag.

Calgary's Best Neighbourhoods | Avenue (http://www.avenuecalgary.com/articles/page/item/calgary039s-best-neighbourhoods - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2010, 07:53 PM
 
24 posts, read 85,827 times
Reputation: 19
You defiently got it right on the real estate bit - the furthur away from downtown you move the bigger bang you get for your buck! That being said - as far as schools go here (public or catholic) if you are not looking for a private school then your kids will most likely end up in whichever one is "designated" for your neighbourhood. My recommendation would be try to find a newer neighbourhood with a Catholic school your kids can walk to. Riding the bus for 30 mins to 1 hr each way can really start to take a toll on kids. Many newer area's in Calgary don't have schools built yet so this could also help you narrow down places to look for housing. I know many of our friends who's kids have just started getting to school age are leaving the city and moving to Okotoks, Airdrie and Langdon so their kids can walk to school.

If your are driving into downtown - I find it a lot easier (ie less traffic) coming out of the far southeast. However if you are taking transit - the train line extends much further into the northwest making it better in that regard.

Good luck and welcome to Calgary!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2010, 10:35 PM
 
7 posts, read 32,833 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megs182 View Post
You defiently got it right on the real estate bit - the furthur away from downtown you move the bigger bang you get for your buck! That being said - as far as schools go here (public or catholic) if you are not looking for a private school then your kids will most likely end up in whichever one is "designated" for your neighbourhood. My recommendation would be try to find a newer neighbourhood with a Catholic school your kids can walk to. Riding the bus for 30 mins to 1 hr each way can really start to take a toll on kids. Many newer area's in Calgary don't have schools built yet so this could also help you narrow down places to look for housing. I know many of our friends who's kids have just started getting to school age are leaving the city and moving to Okotoks, Airdrie and Langdon so their kids can walk to school.

If your are driving into downtown - I find it a lot easier (ie less traffic) coming out of the far southeast. However if you are taking transit - the train line extends much further into the northwest making it better in that regard.

Good luck and welcome to Calgary!
Thanks for this. I started looking into Catholic schools in the areas we wanted (Wentworth, Patterson, and other SW areas) but all the schools are full so a bus is required. They said the bus could take 30 to 40 minutes to get them to their school. I really don't want this.

We thought about Cochrane so the kids can walk to school but the commute to downtown Calgary looks terrible.

Any other suggestions? Where can I find a reasonable commute to downtown and also be close enough to a Catholic school so the kids can walk?

Thanks.

Dale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2010, 11:19 AM
 
24 posts, read 85,827 times
Reputation: 19
Hi Dale,

I just sent you a p.m as well. Check for schools in these new communties in the SE - Lake Chapparal, Copperfield, Cranston and New Brighton. Good access to Deerfoot which make for an O.K. commute downtown. I used to live in Cranston and it is a great community - they are opening a new public elementry school this fall so you might be in luck as they tend to open Catholic schools around the same time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2010, 11:25 AM
 
24 posts, read 85,827 times
Reputation: 19
I just checked the CSSD website and Cranston has a K to 9 school! It's opening in September - Christ the King. Hopefully they still have openings for fall enrollment. You could get a beautiful home in Cranston with your budget and it's a really family oriented neighbourhood.

There are also schools in Mckenzie lake and Douglasdale you could check for openings. Seems to be the way it goes in Calgary - find a school first and then a house close by!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top