U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2011, 07:30 AM

1,315 posts, read 1,950,627 times

Advertisements

If only the provinces of Alberta and British Columbia would merge and the headquarters of the big oil and service companies would move from Calgary and Edmonton to Vancouver, the West would be unstoppable. Alberta's future is very bright indeed.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 08:35 AM

86 posts, read 254,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
If only the provinces of Alberta and British Columbia would merge and the headquarters of the big oil and service companies would move from Calgary and Edmonton to Vancouver, the West would be unstoppable. Alberta's future is very bright indeed.
that seems like an interesting idea, although impossible to happen. Vancouver is the city so many want to live in, but lacks the kind of jobs and income; Calgary has a lot of jobs but people are deterred by its weather and boring lifestyle...

I can't count how many people decide to settle in Toronto eventually because Vancouver has no jobs and Calgary is too cold. Toronto kind of balances it out.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evissone View Post
that seems like an interesting idea, although impossible to happen. Vancouver is the city so many want to live in, but lacks the kind of jobs and income; Calgary has a lot of jobs but people are deterred by its weather and boring lifestyle...

I can't count how many people decide to settle in Toronto eventually because Vancouver has no jobs and Calgary is too cold. Toronto kind of balances it out.
The lifestyle in Calgary isn't nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. The weather, on the other hand, lives up to its billing. Most major Canadian cities other than Vancouver and Victoria suffer from terrible weather, though.

Canada may be blessed with many things, but good weather isn't one of them!

Old 05-19-2011, 08:03 PM

746 posts, read 1,452,905 times
Quote:
The lifestyle in Calgary isn't nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. The weather, on the other hand, lives up to its billing. Most major Canadian cities other than Vancouver and Victoria suffer from terrible weather, though.

That's how it is: Either good job + bad weather, or good weather but no job.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:41 PM

482 posts, read 2,115,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post
Move to Alberta, immediately. There are people that are literally crying for bodies right now, and if you have experience all the better. It might be hard to move cross country, but if you can do it then I would strongly advise you to do so.
The one big negative in the energy industry is its up and down volatile nature... Don't be surprised at how fast these companies layoff employees and then go cap in hand begging for employees 2 years later.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:45 PM

482 posts, read 2,115,142 times
Quote:

I would add that Calgary is a special case... It isn't just cold here, the winters are very long as well... You will see snow in October and May..

Calgary's weather is also extremely volatile and unpredictable thanks to elevation and being next to the mountains. Folks in Ontario think their weather is volatile... This takes it to a whole other level... Even weather forecasting here isn't taken that seriously by people here.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
I would add that Calgary is a special case... It isn't just cold here, the winters are very long as well... You will see snow in October and May..

Calgary's weather is also extremely volatile and unpredictable thanks to elevation and being next to the mountains. Folks in Ontario think their weather is volatile... This takes it to a whole other level... Even weather forecasting here isn't taken that seriously by people here.
I've lived in four different provinces, and I think that winter is absolutely terrible in all of them. I should note, however, that I cannot stand ice and snow. Some people seem to take ice and snow in their stride or even like that part of the Canadian winter. Me? Not so much.

Every single time that I visit Vancouver during the winter, I see green grass and I enjoy mild temperatures. Even when there's some ice and snow, it's still warm by Canadian standards and you know it'll be gone in a few days or, on some unusual occasions, a week or two later. As I grew up in places with maritime climates, I'm used to overcast skies, so grey skies and drizzle don't bother me a great deal. Ice and snow, on the other hand, do bother me.

Boarding an airplane in Calgary when it's -30℃ and stepping off that same airplane in Vancouver on a day when it's 8℃ is an unbelievable treat. All of a sudden, I can look forward to doing simple things like taking a walk in comparative comfort. As much as I appreciate what Calgary has to offer, it's undeniably and outrageously cold in the wintertime. Bright skies and thrice winterly chinooks don't make up for it at all in my estimation. And don't even get me going on that damp cold versus dry cold stuff! I'll admit that February in places like Saint John or St. John's can be awful, but it's a treat in Vancouver.

So I agree with you, ajau. Calgary's winter is too much for many people.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:09 AM

Actually, make that five provinces. I've lived in so many provinces that I lost count there for a moment!

Quote:
I've lived in four different provinces, and I think that winter is absolutely terrible in all of them. I should note, however, that I cannot stand ice and snow. Some people seem to take ice and snow in their stride or even like that part of the Canadian winter. Me? Not so much.

Every single time that I visit Vancouver during the winter, I see green grass and I enjoy mild temperatures. Even when there's some ice and snow, it's still warm by Canadian standards and you know it'll be gone in a few days or, on some unusual occasions, a week or two later. As I grew up in places with maritime climates, I'm used to overcast skies, so grey skies and drizzle don't bother me a great deal. Ice and snow, on the other hand, do bother me.

Boarding an airplane in Calgary when it's -30℃ and stepping off that same airplane in Vancouver on a day when it's 8℃ is an unbelievable treat. All of a sudden, I can look forward to doing simple things like taking a walk in comparative comfort. As much as I appreciate what Calgary has to offer, it's undeniably and outrageously cold in the wintertime. Bright skies and thrice winterly chinooks don't make up for it at all in my estimation. And don't even get me going on that damp cold versus dry cold stuff! I'll admit that February in places like Saint John or St. John's can be awful, but it's a treat in Vancouver.

So I agree with you, ajau. Calgary's winter is too much for many people.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:17 PM

746 posts, read 1,452,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
The one big negative in the energy industry is its up and down volatile nature... Don't be surprised at how fast these companies layoff employees and then go cap in hand begging for employees 2 years later.
Yeah I know. The best thing as an employee to do is save your money. Don't go putting $$ into the new F-150 fund, or the new quad fund, or spend it at the bar every night.
The trick is get in, 10-15 years, and get out. You should be a millionaire if you play your finances (and career choices) right.
I've been in that boat before and it took me awhile to learn to save the pennies. I have watched friends let the money flow when times are good. Once the fit hits the shan they're crying! Sooo many people i've worked with over the years just don't get it.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:49 AM

14 posts, read 43,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post
Move to Alberta, immediately. There are people that are literally crying for bodies right now, and if you have experience all the better. It might be hard to move cross country, but if you can do it then I would strongly advise you to do so.
Actually I got job these days with one of the largest oil company here. Now I have to think how to move my family from Halifax. I am planing to get back there by plane and took my people with the car and small trailer. Does anyone did such travel? And by the way I cant cross USA border.

Any other suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary