U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 04:56 PM

2 posts, read 16,522 times

Advertisements

Would like to know peoples opinions on Calgary, I am currently living in surrey... what you like? Hate?
How are the jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 07:08 PM

746 posts, read 1,453,418 times
Calgary is a great place to live if you want a modest lifestyle and have a nice house.
Be prepared for the weather - it snows most months of the year, and we are still seeing snow going into may.
It's a great town, and if your life goal is the 3 bed, 2 bath family lifestyle with the picket fence, c'mon down.
If however you're young, adventurous, and want a great nightlife scene, there are better options out there.
You will make twice what you can make in BC, with at least half the taxes - depending on your industry. Can you say O-I-L ?

Old 04-21-2011, 08:27 AM

14 posts, read 43,645 times
Hi guys,

I am moving from Halifax to Calgary. Could you please recommend me some place and neighborhood to live for a 3(three) months before my family arrive and before I get a little bit more oriented?
I don't like to rent an room in some "gangsta" district .....

Old 04-21-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kill_u View Post
Hi guys,

I am moving from Halifax to Calgary. Could you please recommend me some place and neighborhood to live for a 3(three) months before my family arrive and before I get a little bit more oriented?
Are you buy yourself? Kensignton, sunnyside, hillhurst or west hillhurst.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:21 PM

7,870 posts, read 10,370,432 times
Quote:
Hi guys,

Stay away from anywhere bounded by 32 ave NE on the North, Deerfoot on the West, 68 St E, and Glenmore Tr on the south.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:25 PM

482 posts, read 2,115,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Stay away from anywhere bounded by 32 ave NE on the North, Deerfoot on the West, 68 St E, and Glenmore Tr on the south.
I would include Bowness in that... BTW, why would you want to come to Calgary? If you are coming for economic reasons, you missed the glory days... Nowadays, there are better places to move to, income/expenses wise... Saskatchewan definitely...

Old 04-29-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
... Saskatchewan definitely...
Maybe.

Depends if you swing a hammer or sit at a desk. Blue collar then yes, Sask might have the opportunities.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:29 PM

14 posts, read 43,645 times
I am planing to move to Calgary, because I have 10 years experience as an engineer in oil refinery. But here in Halifax, I cant get more than a cleaner job. For a year in a half I had more interviews (by phone) from outside NS compared to only one inside NS.

So I hope I could find position for technician or operator.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I am planing to move to Calgary, because I have 10 years experience as an engineer in oil refinery. But here in Halifax, I cant get more than a cleaner job. For a year in a half I had more interviews (by phone) from outside NS compared to only one inside NS.

So I hope I could find position for technician or operator.
Move to Alberta, immediately. There are people that are literally crying for bodies right now, and if you have experience all the better. It might be hard to move cross country, but if you can do it then I would strongly advise you to do so.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:47 AM

1,269 posts, read 3,323,684 times
Quote:
Trillions predicted in oilsands spending

CERI projects 5M barrels per day by 2035

By Dan Healing May 16, 2011

Read more: Trillions predicted in oilsands spending (http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Trillions+predicted+oilsands+spending/4791879/story.html#ixzz1MmZNaY8p - broken link)

http://www.rentfaster.ca/calgary.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary