U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 5,147 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend, (basically husband, we have lived together for three years) is being transferred to Calgary for his US government job. I really could use some help sorting through how or what I need to do to be able to live and work in Canada for a minimum of two years/ maximum of five years. Our move should not happen until early spring 2012. Thank you in advance

Last edited by marathonrunnergurl; 07-28-2011 at 06:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 10:25 PM

9 posts, read 15,177 times
if you are coming from Alaska, then you won't need too much in terms of winter clothes etc. Calgary can have cold but sunny winters - it gets many sunny days, among the most in all of Canada. Where is your hubby's job in Calgary, then we can help you find a decent area to live. Any questions let me know.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:20 AM

2 posts, read 5,147 times
He will be working at the Airport. I would love to know what area is best for us. We have a dog and a cat. We love to camp, hike, ski, fish and hunt. My big questions are about what paperwork I need? Work permit or a visa? I found the cic website but it is very confusing. Do you have any info on what I need?

Old 08-02-2011, 12:36 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,949,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ya7oo View Post
I feel very very bad for you

Hopefully you do not leave him because he brought you there

Unless you can live in Canmore or Banff, bring a lot of alcohol...
Ignore ya7oo. Horrific winters aside, Calgary isn't a bad place to live.

marathonrunnergirl, you should see whether your skill-set and training might qualify you for a NAFTA visa. With the right skills and experience, you could get hired by a company to work in Calgary or you could be transferred to Calgary by your current employer if that's a possibility, and then relocate there on a NAFTA visa.

Some people go on and on about how important Canadian work experience is toward qualifying people in your position for jobs. I don't know how important that would be if you're an American, if you have a degree/diploma from a well-respected institution, and if you have valuable work experience. I'd look into the NAFTA visa route if I were you. Check pp. 142-176 of this document for more detailed guidance.

Last edited by maclock; 08-02-2011 at 01:43 PM..

Old 08-02-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
I have lived in Calgary for 5-months

It was probably a nice place until it inflated about 5 times more then it was built for and racked up half the hobos in Canada (and for some weird reason, Britain and even some Yankees)
Good for you! In recent years, I lived there for longer than you did. The horrific winters aside, I thought that it was just fine, hobos and all. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but then neither is Montreal. To someone relocating from Anchorage, Calgary should prove to be a perfectly acceptable city.

Last edited by maclock; 08-02-2011 at 10:07 PM..

Old 08-02-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Can you tell me, where else in Canada have you been and how long have you been there?

I have been from Vancouver Island to St Anthony Newfoundland

I have my reasons for disliking Calgary

Mainly: hobos, traffic, poor service, poor services, ignorant people, poor night life, poor shopping, poor recreation, abundant drug use, visible crime.

Like I said, it use to be nice

Banff is beautiful tho, Canmore, Lake Louise, Jasper...
You sound like a barrel of laughs.

I'm not going to out myself here on City-Data, but I'd imagine that I've been to almost as many provinces as you. I've also lived in three of Canada's five largest cities, as well as three provincial capitals besides those big cities. Judging by your mention of St. Anthony, I'd hazard to guess that you're probably the type of person who enjoys trips to rural Canada, which is not my thing really. I'm a city guy.

We're staying off topic here because this isn't meant to be an "I've seen more of Canada than you" thread or something like that. Having lived in both Anchorage and Calgary, however, I can assure the OP that Calgary will suit her needs just fine.

If you enjoy city life, then check out Kensington (the neighbourhood is actually called Sunnyside, but many people call it Kensington or Kensington/Sunnyside), marathonrunnergurl. Easy access to river trails for walking, many neighbourhood establishments you can walk to from your place, an LRT station right in the neighbourhood, an easy walk to downtown, etc. It's a good neighbourhood in which to base yourself while you and your man get oriented in Calgary.

Last edited by maclock; 08-02-2011 at 10:19 PM..

Old 08-02-2011, 09:50 PM

9 posts, read 15,177 times
To "ya700", obviously you have not been to Vancouver - way more "hobos", lots of crime and hoorendous traffic and major attitude of people. Calgary is clean and family friendly. The shopping is getting better - look at Chinook center - it has shops vancouver does'nt even have.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:22 PM

378 posts, read 583,185 times
IMO Calgary is a step up from Anchorage.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:23 PM

1,269 posts, read 3,320,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marathonrunnergurl View Post
My boyfriend, (basically husband, we have lived together for three years) is being transferred to Calgary for his US government job. I really could use some help sorting through how or what I need to do to be able to live and work in Canada for a minimum of two years/ maximum of five years. Our move should not happen until early spring 2012. Thank you in advance

Hot off the press. But it pertains to British Columbia for now. I won't be surprised if something similar is coming to Alberta in the near future.

Quote:
Operational Bulletin 337 - August 15, 2011
7.1 The Canada-British Columbia Working Group on TFWs, as referred to in section 8.1.3 of this annex, will initiate, where feasible, and subject to regulatory authority, the following pilot projects within twelve (12) months of this Annex coming into force:

b) allow eligible spouses/common-law partners of TFWs engaged in work within the NOC C and D skill categories in British Columbia to receive open work permits;

c) allow eligible dependents, aged 18-22, of all* TFWs in British Columbia to receive open work permits.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:41 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,761,042 times
ditto above, since Calgary is the only American city outside of the United States.

Most of these Canadian Operational Bulletins originate on the federal level anyway, and Alberta has major initiatives since their economic base mimics so much of the United States in oil, gas, agriculture and share so many companies as major players.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary