U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 02:49 PM

28 posts, read 49,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
What utter nonsense.
Thanks, maclock. I kind of wondered if that might be the case . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 04:03 PM

71 posts, read 149,723 times
Are you an American living in Pittsburgh? When I was growing up in western Pennsylvania we never referred to the area as the the East Coast. Even now I don't refer to it as the East Coast. Of course, I am one of those unintelligent Americans you were mentioning. But I did learn my geography and grammar, and I am unfailingly polite. Oh, yes, and I am very accepting of others.
On the other hand, some of those provincial Canadians can be very closed-minded. I know this from personal experience.
Good luck with your relocation. Canadians are very civilized people. But you will encounter some ignorant Canadians, rude Canadians, and uncaring Canadians. Those are human attributes, not American ones.

Last edited by Destiny2008; 08-30-2011 at 04:12 PM..

Old 09-01-2011, 03:22 PM

28 posts, read 49,508 times
Yes, Destiny2008, I am an American living in Pittsburgh. I grew up on the West Coast (California) so I suppose, to me, personally, Pittsburgh still seems more like the East Coast than the MidWest. I am one of those ignorant Americans -- I was educated in California, and we did NOT learn our geography. We did, however, learn some really important stuff, like Simon and Garfunkel lyrics...

I do, however, apologize if I offended you in making my comment that most Canadians that I KNOW are more intelligent than Americans. That was a generalized statement, for which I apologize. But, it just so happens that the Canadians I do know are pretty sharp in comparison to many of the Americans I know. It's just a personal observation. I worded what I said badly.

And you are correct in saying basically that there are nice people who are American or Canadian, and that there are some not so nice people who are American or Canadian. Point taken.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:52 PM

71 posts, read 149,723 times
As I mentioned before, I grew up in a small town north of Pittsburgh. I received an excellent education. I now live on the West Coast (San Francisco Bay Area). Most of the people I know are smart, caring, polite and very accepting of others. Diversity is the norm here.
I think much of Pennsylvania is stuck in some time warp. But I actually believe it is more provincial now than it was 40 years ago.
As you know, Canada is a wonderful country. Canadians have avoided many of the problems that plague the United States, and you are making a good choice by moving there, in my opinion.
By the way, I have a Canadian friend who was recently diagnosed with Asperger's. He is 65. He has always been a bit quirky but very bright and capable. He has done well financially and has raised two wonderful children on his own.
Good luck with your move. Your son sounds like a wonderful young man and I wish you all the best.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:57 AM

377 posts, read 789,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
What utter nonsense.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, as I am. Call it what you want, it's just been my experience after plenty of time spent in Calgary.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:26 PM

478 posts, read 225,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberated in TO View Post
Your concerns are warranted. Calgary, although a friendly city, still has a small town mentality and the most prominent "redneck attitude" in all of Canada.

I personally wouldn't want to raise anything but a regular, WASP, popular, regular child there. The intolerant garbage I've heard spewed from the mouths of some of the Albertans I know, whether directed at a minority, homosexual, special needs or anybody who doesn't fit their "mould" is appalling, and significantly worse than attitudes in other major Canadian cities.

Your best luck is probably Vancouver or Toronto - where residents tend to be more tolerant and open minded.
lol

Redneck? Which city has a gay Muslim mayor and which city has a "red necked one"

You obviously haven't spent much time in Calgary otherwise you would now that Calgary is a popular destination for new immigrants..particularity minorities.

but hey what do you expect from TO?

jealousy reigns supreme form the former "Center of the Universe"

Old 09-02-2011, 04:31 PM

478 posts, read 225,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schleppenheimer View Post

On the negative side, I'm a little concerned about the prairie/Calgary stampede/cowboy side of Calgary. It would be incredibly cruel to set a quiet, studious, non-athletic kid smack-dab in the middle of a high school full of strapping, athletic cowboys. Please tell me why I'm wrong in being concerned about this...
Cowboys????

Been here 40 years and never owned a cowboy hat or a pair of boots. That thing you hear about called the Stampede is 10 days in July and is attended by the tourists and people from the rural parts of the country. Many Calgarians take Stampede week off and get out of town. As long as you don't plan on living in a small rural town you will be hard pressed to find a "COWBOY"

Old 09-11-2011, 07:32 PM

1,018 posts, read 968,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberated in TO View Post
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, as I am. Call it what you want, it's just been my experience after plenty of time spent in Calgary.
Uh-huh.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:19 PM

280 posts, read 114,759 times
So, the OP has started a very interesting thread. I am an American, and back when I was 16 (in 1992), I visited Calgary for a week. Before I really knew anything about, well, anything, I set my sights on living in Calgary one day. I thought it was a beautiful country and was already fascinated by Canada, our northerly neighbor with the somewhat American-style accents and the superior (in my opinion) vocabulary/dialect/etc.

So, related to the OP's question, I've been wondering, is there a Canadian equivalent to the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act)? Some sort of accomodation laws that ensure those with disabilities (I am an adult in this camp) get a decent education? I'm 37 and well out of school, but I just didn't see this addressed here and I do think it's relevant.

Edited: My bad. I didn't notice the date on this thread. I'm sure the OP's move has already happened. I won't delete this, though. If a mod wants to (or wants to make a new thread), I understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary