Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 01:23 AM

3 posts, read 18,823 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

I am planning to move to Calgary with my family.
To give you a background, we are currently living in Tokyo, Japan.
My wife is an MBA degree holder with specialization in HR. My son 3 yr old goes to school. He was diagonized with mild symptoms of autism.

My work location will be SW though I plan to rent a house in NE. I searched & found few houses available in Temple, Harvest Hills, & Taradale. Google maps indicate that commutation would take 30 min one way, so that shouldn't be an issue as in Tokyo it takes hours to travel. I don't have the salary details yet hence i can not think of budget for the expenses. I was browsing through past threads to find answers to all my questions but as you would know the everyone's requirement is unique! Hence posting few questions.

So on to my questions

1. Which area would you recommend in NE?
2. What would the steps to be followed for my wife to get a job?
3. Recommended Montessorie schools in or around NE?
4. What support facilities are available for families in need of help w.r.t. Autism Spectrum Disorder?
5. How much would be monthly expense for a family of 3 with main expenses as House Rent, Medical Insurance, Education, Utilities, Gasoline, Car Insurance etc?

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 12:00 PM

311 posts, read 1,132,804 times
The NE is generally the least desirable area of the city. But the nice neighbourhoods of the NE would probably be Panorama Hills/Coventry Hills and there are many new developements happening around there. Beddington and Huntigton Hills are also pretty nice areas to live in.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:43 AM

210 posts, read 705,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowmyavicky View Post
Hey All,

I am planning to move to Calgary with my family.
To give you a background, we are currently living in Tokyo, Japan.
My wife is an MBA degree holder with specialization in HR. My son 3 yr old goes to school. He was diagonized with mild symptoms of autism.

My work location will be SW though I plan to rent a house in NE. I searched & found few houses available in Temple, Harvest Hills, & Taradale. Google maps indicate that commutation would take 30 min one way, so that shouldn't be an issue as in Tokyo it takes hours to travel. I don't have the salary details yet hence i can not think of budget for the expenses. I was browsing through past threads to find answers to all my questions but as you would know the everyone's requirement is unique! Hence posting few questions.

So on to my questions

1. Which area would you recommend in NE?
2. What would the steps to be followed for my wife to get a job?
3. Recommended Montessorie schools in or around NE?
4. What support facilities are available for families in need of help w.r.t. Autism Spectrum Disorder?
5. How much would be monthly expense for a family of 3 with main expenses as House Rent, Medical Insurance, Education, Utilities, Gasoline, Car Insurance etc?

Thank you in advance
Welcome to Calgary!

NE & SE should give you the best prices for rent. But I do encourage you to look around. The commute of 30 minutes may not seem that long to you, but in the middle of winter it could be a lot longer.

If you are working in the SW, look around that area. Each section of the city has something for everyone.

What kind of house do you want to rent? 2 story, bungalow? Is a garage important? Age of the house?

Sorry, I am no help on your other questions. But here is a link the Calgary Board of Education website: Calgary Board of Education - Schools and Areas

Old 03-18-2012, 10:01 PM

482 posts, read 2,410,797 times
Downtown is technically considered the SW but is right in the centre of the city. If you are working downtown any quadrant should be okay since many roads and bus routes lead to downtown... Calgary though is a city that has purposefully limited parking downtown but without the corresponding transit to back it up. Try to locate as close to work as you can to reduce your commute time. Calgary is only a city of 1 million... Having to commute 2 hours a day is too much of a sacrifice while living in a small town, IMHO.

If you are working in other areas of the SW, try to find a home in same quadrant. SW Calgary is mainly residential so it shouldn't be a problem.

Which neighbourhood will you be working in?

Old 03-18-2012, 11:40 PM

Smile Thank you!

Thank you everyone! All your responses are very helpful for me understand about Calgary.

Joules21, I would like to rent a 2 story not older than 15 years with a garage or even an outside parking would be good enough. Thanks for the link on education.

Ajau, I will be working near 7 Ave SW. I completely agree with you - to rent a house close to work place. Can you please give some instances of decent property near to 7 Ave SW?

Thank you in advance.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:11 AM

28 posts, read 101,771 times
If you want to rent a place, may I suggest rentfaster.ca. If you are looking for something less than 15 years old, you'll have to look at the edge of the city. Calgary grows very quickly.

The NE of Calgary is the least desirable area to live in excluding areas like Country Hills (which are more technically North Calgary). The SE area (Dover, Forest Lawn, Applewood) are all less than desireable neighborhoods. Calgary Police offer a crime map to show you which neighborhoods have what type of REPORTED crime.

One of the cheaper & nicer areas of Calgary is Somerset Bridlewood, which is at the end of the train line. It's a complete community with it's own shopping, etc, and relatively safe.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:08 PM

Thank you for the informative post, it is really helping me to understand more about the place. Each post is worth millions! It is real fun reading all the posts. Thanks again.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:01 PM

482 posts, read 2,410,797 times
You might want to look at the west side of the city... Look to the West Hills area for newer homes. Plenty of schools (both private and public) shopping, closer to the mountains, etc. This area is primarily settled by white collar oil & gas types and middle management. Mostly folks who've moved to Calgary to create careers for themselves (such as yourself). Don't expect sophistication though, remember Calgary is still a small town that attracts small town folks but it is getting better as more folks move here from other countries.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:00 AM

8 posts, read 21,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajau View Post
You might want to look at the west side of the city... Look to the West Hills area for newer homes. Plenty of schools (both private and public) shopping, closer to the mountains, etc. This area is primarily settled by white collar oil & gas types and middle management. Mostly folks who've moved to Calgary to create careers for themselves (such as yourself). Don't expect sophistication though, remember Calgary is still a small town that attracts small town folks but it is getting better as more folks move here from other countries.
Small town at over 1,000,000 population?

Old 03-30-2012, 09:39 AM

311 posts, read 1,132,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Dude View Post
Small town at over 1,000,000 population?
I think they meant a small town vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary