U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 08:16 PM

2 posts, read 19,195 times

Advertisements

My wife and I currently live in Denver, Colorado. My company is moving us to Calgary this summer. It'll probably just be a 3 month assignment so we're looking to really enjoy our Calgary experience while we're there. We love going out to restaurants, live music, great bars/microbreweries, etc. We're both 30 and have no kids so we want to be in the action. Any suggestions on where to live downtown? Oh, we also have a little dog so a nice area to take her on walks would be great. My office is located in the Stock Exchange Tower at 5 Ave SW and 2nd St SW - walking distance to the office would be a nice bonus too. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 05:02 PM

7,827 posts, read 10,351,961 times
You want to be in Mission.

4 ave SW, between 10th and 23rd st. It's a bit far to walk, but a reasonable bike ride.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:58 PM

2 posts, read 19,195 times
Thanks for the tip, I'll check into that one. I've also heard Kensington is a good option. Any thoughts on that?

Old 05-25-2012, 09:13 AM

7,827 posts, read 10,351,961 times
Kensington is nice too. Apartments are harder to come by, at least nice ones. The area is a bit more concentrated. It is closer to walk to downtown. Nothing really wrong with it either. Mission is just a bit bigger of an area.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:47 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,761,042 times
Mission is definite for the weekend/night life it has to offer. Kensington seems a little zzzzzzzzz.
And don't forget it's the 100th. Stampede!

Old 06-18-2012, 08:44 PM

312 posts, read 909,800 times
I'd say Mission would be your best bet

Old 07-17-2012, 02:38 PM

28 posts, read 90,092 times
Mission is quite expensive now & affordable apartments are difficult to find. You could also look at Lower Mount Royal, West Beltline and Kensington.

FYI, I have lived in both Kensington and Mission..and Kensington is a far more diverse neighborhood with a busier street scape. Mission is mostly restaurants now.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:33 PM

69 posts, read 173,994 times
I do not think you would want to be in Kensington. Aside from a few pubs, the whole place pretty much shuts down at 6 pm.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:49 PM

250 posts, read 532,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nambis View Post
I do not think you would want to be in Kensington. Aside from a few pubs, the whole place pretty much shuts down at 6 pm.
To be fair, the communities are only 2 miles apart with downtown and the beltline seperating them.....and a train to make the commute easier.

In Kensington you won't have an exciting night life right at your doorstep, but you should find some good restruants (including Dairy Lane - one of Calgary's best Diners), pubs, an independent (i think) cinema, and one of Calgary's best independent bookstores. IMO, the bike paths along the near Kensington are more attractive than the elbow river paths near Mission...and you are closer to prince's island park, which hosts some great summer festivals (Folk Fest is this Weekend!) one of the best places in town to people watch.

I think I prefer Mission, but Kensington is also a great bet.

As other poster's pointed out, the Beltline (between 9th ave (the tracks) and 17th ave south) is a good residential neighbourhood for people looking for an easy walk downtown and enertainment at their doorstep. It is quite busy though, and crime is a bit higher than other areas.

Inglewood/Ramsay is another cool suburb. It has a great main street with some excellent places to eat and a few good bars (Ironwood for live mustic). It also has a great used bookstore. The disadvantage to inglewood is the walk downtown can be a bit further than Mission or Kensington, and it crosses what was historically the worst part of DT Calgary. Rent should be cheaper than the other locations though.

I also really like is Bankview. Again it isn't right in the action, but it is very close. The community has a great feel to it. I love the mix of older houses and new infills and the really hilly streets.....you don't find a lot of that in Calgary. Bankview is definitely suburban...but it is inner city suburban...

Old 08-03-2012, 12:21 PM

28 posts, read 90,092 times
Kensington does not shut down at 6 PM, in fact far from it. The area is probably Calgary's more diverse urban area (mixed use of everything).

At one time Mission was a great neighborhood (early 2000's). The high rents have caused the closure of many businesses in Mission & many of them have been replaced with upscale dining. I would say 80% of all commercial space in the Mission is dedicated to selling food or drink. There are several new buildings coming on board & given the high rents they will charge I don't think you'll see much change. Mission has become very gentrified & it certainly isn't what it used to be.

Sadly, this is the norm in Calgary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary