Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 12:45 PM

2 posts, read 16,423 times

Advertisements

I have leave in Montreal for the past 8 years and I am afraid the economy and the political situation are not doing very well. Therefore, I am looking to relocate in Calgary. I am looking for better opportunities and a higher quality of life. I am 27 just Graduated from Business School. I am young and want to make the best decision, either stay in Montreal or relocate in Alberta. Not married, and not kids.

For a person that has lived in Montreal:
1) Is a big advantage (difference) moving from Montreal to Calgary?
2) Is it worth it? How much better or worst if we compare with Montreal?
3) Would you see a brighter future in Montreal or in Calgary?

If we compare salaries and the cost of leaving in Montreal and Calgary, can we say that since Calgary is so expensive, it turns out to be the same as Montreal? Or for real Calgary offers better quality of live, better salaries, and more opportunities to grow either as an employee or as an entrepreneurial?

Is there any website that can help new arrivals from a new start? (To find a job and a house?)

Thank you
Vicky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 03:51 PM

250 posts, read 642,829 times
If you include taxes, the cost of living in Calgary and Montreal is about the same...

Old 02-16-2014, 04:18 PM

30 posts, read 74,636 times
I am looking to do the same. I'm 29 years old and have lived in Montreal my whole life, but like you, I cannot stand living in this province any longer. I am going to Calgary in March to check it out, I'll let you know what I find.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 15,598 times
hi there same as I the thing is my husband been here for 10 years and he is stable with his job, as for me just graduated a couple of months luckily found a job, as you guys we wanted to move also in Calgary because of the political issue, but still thinking if we can get a good job, if were going to move we will start from scratch again. If anyone from Calgary who been in Montreal and now living in Calagry can anyone share what will be the difference from Montreal and Calgary as in general. What would we expect? how abt the cost of living, finding of jobs etc.

Thank you for any response much appreciated.

beh

Old 05-06-2014, 03:15 PM

2 posts, read 15,890 times
We are newcomers. We landed in Canada last year and moved to Montreal after staying in Ontario for a couple of months. We are planning to go to Calgary for the same reasons as yours. Plus we can see the public education in Montreal is not as good as the one in Ontario. How are you guys now?

Old 07-06-2014, 10:05 PM

1 posts, read 14,191 times
Welcome young people.
We moved here from Montreal 35 years ago...never regretted it.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 13,778 times
Hi,

I lived in Montreal for 4 years and i am living in Calgary for the past two years.From my experience what i have seen in Calgary

1. Downtown will be like Ghost town compared to Montreal.
2. Calgary won't be as lively as Montreal( if your into parties) and it lacks the culture that Montreal has.
3. Calgary is good for family and to raise kids.
4. Salary is higher, jobs are more ( If your into Oil & energy field, Calgary is the place for you )
5. Banff is 1.5 hrs form Calgary (if your into mountains, hiking, fishing you will like)
5. house rents are very high compared to Montreal.
6. Public transportation wont be as good as Montreal. Everything in Calgary is spread out and you need to have a car.
7. If your new immigrant you will like Calgary for sure(Communities in Calgary, NW like brentwood, Hawkwood, Edgemont) has very good public school but at the same time houses are expensive.

Lifestyle will be slow in Calgary.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:21 AM

2 posts, read 15,893 times
Default Results from moving from Montreal to Calgary

Hi.My name is Alexander.I've lived in Montreal a year I am new emmigrant and I started reading the forums because I am thinking to relocate.I found you.Thanks in advance for your time to respond my question.How you find Calgary after relocating is it worth it?Thanks Cheers.Write me back the answer in lazarovalexandar1@gmail.com.Only if you have time because I read in Calgary there is too much work...

Old 09-11-2014, 12:47 PM

1 posts, read 13,279 times
From Montreal to Calgary only if you are not doing well in Montreal otherwise it doesn't make sense.
Montreal is a lot much more vibrant and cultural city than Calgary is right now, style of living in Montreal is one of the best however Calgary is booming and maybe in 10-15 years it can be as vibrant and cultural as Montreal.
I say give yourself a chance in the job market maybe it will happen for you and if it doesn't than pack your things and move to Calgary or maybe Vancouver..

Old 09-12-2014, 02:56 PM

30 posts, read 74,636 times
Leave, leave Montreal as soon as you can and never look back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary