Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2012, 08:54 PM

1 posts, read 5,025 times

Advertisements

So I had a list of Canadian cities I wanted to move to (Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Ottawa, Edmonton, etc), and starting crossing some off the list, like Montreal for the potential language problems, and Toronto/Vancouver for the cost of living.

Now I think Calgary might be a good place to try out, but I live in Ontario, and since I'm a recent grad. (in IT) I don't know how difficult it'd be finding a job. On one hand, I don't want to move and be unemployed for several months because I just don't have the money to stay unemployed for so long, on the other hand I'd like to get a job -before- moving there but I'm not sure what my chances would be (considering I wouldn't be able to fly out for every interview, and with my lack of experience they may just go with someone local).

So...any advice? Has anyone been in my position before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 06:38 PM

216 posts, read 448,761 times
Maybe try Saskatchewan first for job prospects, unless you want the feel of a big city.
Lived in Calgary for ten years, economy is hot but not red hot. You'll have not a lot of trouble finding a job, but might not be the one you want right off the bat. Try oil - it's the biggest industry that will hire right now.
Cost of living isn't really that much lower that GTA or Van to be honest. Big advantage is low taxes, no PST and very lax liquor laws. Dry cold.

Go for it! If it wasn't for the weather i'd live there the rest of my life.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:31 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
Calgary is "the city of no excuses."
get here and you're working, like now.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:04 PM

5 posts, read 44,832 times
Hi, Since You posted this in 2012, I hope you already are in Calgary now with a good IT job. I'm in Toronto and moving to Calgary in March this year 2014. I am a recent graduate in IT just like you were back in 2012. I have Bachelor of computing and a certificate in Qaulity assuarance. My purpose of moving to Calgary is to find a QA job(QA Analyst/Tester) in Calgary and make Calgary my home. Could you please give me some information about the IT job market and the life in Calgary?
I would like to know about QA jobs, Where to apply
Are there more IT job openings in Calgary than Toronto?
How friendly the people are in Calgary
Would I be able to find a survival job until I find a QA job in Calgary?
Do they welcome immigrants?
I pay 237 dollars for Auto Insuarance for a 2006 Subaru Forester. Would it be more expensive or cheaper in Calgary?
I hope you will see this.
Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary