U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2012, 05:42 PM

3 posts, read 4,780 times

Advertisements

Relocating to Calgary and now having the ugly task of locating a place to live (have a large dog).
I've found a cute little place in Black Diamond. Can anyone tell me how bad or good the commute would be to drive to work daily (will be working the SE part of Calgary)?
Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 03:34 PM

2,963 posts, read 3,759,379 times
Black Diamond is a little out there. Dog wise there are places around Priddis, right near the highway. If your transportation is RELIABLE you could do BD, but I'd suggest Okotoks/DeWinton. I've seen acreage/suites on acreage at a reasonable price, and you can bring your horse, too!

Old 10-16-2012, 03:50 PM

Thanks. I have a small car (no 4X4). Just not sure how the roads are in Winter. I've had some folks tell me they are not great. I've been looking for a place for weeks and it's almost impossible to find anything!

Old 10-17-2012, 10:28 AM

7,827 posts, read 10,349,004 times
It all depends on the winter. It's a bit of a haul through the bald ass prairie to get to the city from Black Diamond. Depending where in the SE will determine if your commute is livable or not.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:30 PM

2,963 posts, read 3,759,379 times
Default South East is close by Langdon/Chestermere/M.Towne

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9grl View Post
Relocating to Calgary and now having the ugly task of locating a place to live (have a large dog).
I've found a cute little place in Black Diamond. Can anyone tell me how bad or good the commute would be to drive to work daily (will be working the SE part of Calgary)?
Thanks
Since you're going to be in the deep S.E. you might consider Langdon and even Chestermere south. I've seen acreage there and a dog/horse is marked as welcome. By the way, Calgary ads for this are mainly kijiji.ca---a lot of cities use Craigslist or Used(name of their city). C. and U. has seen some cities taken over by scammers.
Note: We have LOTS of real estate scammers in this town. There is no "rentalsman" like Vancouver, B.C.
If you're planning on making a commitment BEFORE your arrival have "moi" check it out for you. My schedule is open this month and I'lll be running around anyway.
thedwightguy

Old 10-20-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Since you're going to be in the deep S.E. you might consider Langdon and even Chestermere south. I've seen acreage there and a dog/horse is marked as welcome. By the way, Calgary ads for this are mainly kijiji.ca---a lot of cities use Craigslist or Used(name of their city). C. and U. has seen some cities taken over by scammers.
Note: We have LOTS of real estate scammers in this town. There is no "rentalsman" like Vancouver, B.C.
If you're planning on making a commitment BEFORE your arrival have "moi" check it out for you. My schedule is open this month and I'lll be running around anyway.
thedwightguy

thanks for the offer! Very nice of you. I've been sticking to kijiji and rentfaster.ca. Was looking at Craigslist and noticed the scammers instantly. I'll let you know if something comes up!

Old 10-22-2012, 10:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,560 times
Calgary is very dog-friendly. I'd keep checking kijiji.ca and rentfaster.ca The drive from Black Diamond will be nuts if weather kicks in. Rent as close to your work as possible. I rent-out a house in Cranston and even though i'm allergic to dogs, when I met my current tenant she was so well prepared and presented herself so well I had to consider her even though she had a dog (small one) My advice is; look for ads that are open to pets or "flexible". Often if you suggest a pet deposit, you'll get some traction. It gives the home-owner some security. Also, be prepared, have a Job Letter, Credit bureau report, and a letter of recommendation from your previous landlord(if possible). If you have the deposit and first months rent, bring a copy of your bank statement to show the landlord. (only if you like the place of course). Also, with my tenant we bank at same institution so we just met at a branch one day and set up an automated deposit. I don't even have to collect and deposit cheques! Very convenient, I just check online to see if deposit was made. Not all landlords would like it, but it works for me. good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary