U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 10:13 AM

815 posts, read 1,121,500 times
I dont know If I want to pay for downtown core, maybe I haven't decided yet

I have heard mixed reviews about scarborough, is it nice? what's the real deal? some say it's nice some say it's ghetto ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 09:32 AM

242 posts, read 198,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberated in TO View Post
Agree with everything you've said, except shopping. Calgary has come a long way, it has a Holt Renfrew, Harry Rosen (2 I believe) and any of the luxury brands you've named are readily available. Also CrossIron Mills is a complete carbon copy of Vaughan Mills.

Calgary may have fewer amenities overall, but it has plenty of retail offerings that appeal to wealthy clientele. Per capita, it is the most affluent city in Canada.
I stand corrected on Holts. I forgot they opened both one in Edmonton and Calgary. But if you live in Toronto there are three to choose from! All within a 30 minute commute. The flagship store is on Bloor which is much bigger then any other store in Canada, so selection will be higher. Well I fully agree that Calgary has come a long way with fashion, I can say from personal experience that Toronto's shopping malls still far exceed Calgary's. I've been to the Chinook Center dozens of times, and Yorkdale Mall simply has more to offer and way more high end retailers. For instance, one of my favorite brands is Diesel... and there are only three Diesel stores in Canada (two in Toronto, one in Montreal). This is the case for many high end brands. Shopping is simply easier in Toronto.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:36 AM

242 posts, read 198,509 times
Some areas you may want to check out in the Greater Toronto area:

1) Downtown... you'll enjoy yourself the most here. (Bloor St and south)
2) Midtown... Yonge and Eglington area... still on the main subway line and this is a fun emerging neighbourhood
3) Vaughan/Richmond Hill (Will be on subway line within 3 years, about 30 minutes to downtown)
4) Burlington/Oakville
5) Mississauga

Old 01-10-2013, 06:08 PM

199 posts, read 281,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
I stand corrected on Holts. I forgot they opened both one in Edmonton and Calgary.
FYI - HR opened in Calgary in 1953, its not like it just happened!

Toronto is a much bigger city, so natuarally it would have more to choose from. But Calgary has more to offer than Chinook Centre, thank goodness!

Old 01-28-2013, 03:00 PM

630 posts, read 359,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
Good info guys, what is DT Calgary like? big buildings? how is like compared to vancouver Downtown wise ?How hard is it to drive in the snow? especially with a commute?

is it a fun city? or sort of fun? is the cowboy stereotype overblown?
It's doing everything right! More highrises and more places to go. It has an impressive downtown!

Old 01-28-2013, 03:05 PM

Toronto is the best! They are doing a great job responding to what the people need: more highrise condos/apt, more amenities and park downtown. Keep up the good and improving work! What a fundamental shift from the suburbs to downtown since 2006! That's my kind of city and people! Toronto people finally dig to shun the horrible suburban lifestyle for a more and improving vibrant Dt. Toronto. Good job. and you're smart, Torontoans! Please keep it up!

Old 01-28-2013, 03:07 PM

As far as the rest of the major cities are concerned, look at what Toronto is doing. They're shunning the suburbs! That's my kind of move.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:09 PM

163 posts, read 182,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joules21 View Post

Both cities have 4 seasons. Both cities are cold in the winter. If someone doesn't want to live in a city that has cold winters, pick a different country. This is Canada, and it snows!
Let's not foget the OP mentioned Vancouver - it may or may not snow at all in Vancouver, so if weather is a major factor than I must say Vancouver outright wins!! Also, the prairies are horrid for winter weather, wind chills in Calgary can feel like -30C, TO will always have warmer winters than Calgary.

Toronto has the best nightlife out of all three, the other two cannot compare, not even close (I'm not saying Van/Calgary don't have good nightlife, it's just not on a scale like TO). TO has a very diversified economy with many great job opportunites, the pace of career advancement can be high due to the fact that many companies have their headquarters here (more face time with senior staff always helps with promotions). If you want to work in the oil and gas industry Calgary wins by a mile, there are many excellent opportunities here and it's a great place grow your career (oil and gas companies pay very well).

Vancouver real estate is very high to the point where it is borderline unaffordable (unless you want to live 50 miles from downtown Van). Calgary and Toronto home prices are high if you want to live in the core, the further out you go in suburbia the lower the home prices get.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:40 PM

129 posts, read 149,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
Hey guys Im from Vancouver, but I currently live in Florida (dual citizen), the US economy is a disaster an it's getting worse. So Im thinking about moving to Toronto or Calgary.

I have only lived in BC, and California and Florida

How are the areas in Calgary compared to vancouver anything comparable? I mean what are they analogous to? how bad is the snow? do you guys ever drive up To edmonton to go to the mall etc?

how is the culture compared between BC, Calgary and Toronto? jobs ? women?

Im 33 year old guy MBA and IT skills,I like nightlife only once in a while and no interest in settling down.
Sorry, but Calgary is not even in the same league as Vancouver or Toronto. That's like asking "Who is the best actor? Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, or Robert Pattinson?"

Old 01-30-2013, 07:30 AM

654 posts, read 489,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymanero View Post
Sorry, but Calgary is not even in the same league as Vancouver or Toronto. That's like asking "Who is the best actor? Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, or Robert Pattinson?"
In BC they call 6.5% unemployment a boom...in Alberta we call it a recession.

Vancouver is in it's own league....the minor league.

Just last month you posted this about Vancouver.."Our transit system is embarrasingly outdated, we have the worst traffic in Canada, our weather sucks(from October to March we are the most depressing place on earth) and the nightlife is average at best(everything is closed by 1am"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary