Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 01:08 AM

1,626 posts, read 3,897,080 times

Advertisements

Hey guys Im from Vancouver, but I currently live in Florida (dual citizen), the US economy is a disaster an it's getting worse. So Im thinking about moving to Toronto or Calgary.

I have only lived in BC, and California and Florida

How are the areas in Calgary compared to vancouver anything comparable? I mean what are they analogous to? how bad is the snow? do you guys ever drive up To edmonton to go to the mall etc?

how is the culture compared between BC, Calgary and Toronto? jobs ? women?

Im 33 year old guy MBA and IT skills,I like nightlife only once in a while and no interest in settling down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 08:24 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
It's tough to compare the three, as they're completely different. With an MBA and an IT degree you should have fewer issues finding work.

Here's a simple survey to determine where to go;

Do you work in the Oil & Gas industry, or ancilliary support services, or do you want to?

a) Yes

b) No

If you chose a) Welcome to Calgary! If you chose b) go with T.O.

As far as everything else, Calgary has all the amenities you'd expect and then some for a city of 1M+ people. To set the record straight, no, you never drive to Edmonton to go to the mall. People in Edmonton barely go to West Ed.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:12 AM

I thought the mall had amazing shopping? the last time I was there was 1988, is Calgary a fun city? I dont like to go out much but only once in while. like every few months or so do they get lots of concerts? and bands? how bad is the snow? undrivable?

what is the best gym in Calgary?

Old 01-07-2013, 10:25 AM

Snow would probably be worse in TO. Calgary winter weather varies as the chinooks blast in and change everything from winter to spring and back again in a day. As far as live music, out of the three, Calgary would be at the bottom, but there are plenty of bars/areas to hang out, and never a shortage of things to do. Plus Banff and the mountains are less than an hour away.

No shortage of gyms available. Likely if you're working downtown there will be one availble in or near the building you're in.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:09 PM

377 posts, read 1,695,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Snow would probably be worse in TO. Calgary winter weather varies as the chinooks blast in and change everything from winter to spring and back again in a day. As far as live music, out of the three, Calgary would be at the bottom, but there are plenty of bars/areas to hang out, and never a shortage of things to do. Plus Banff and the mountains are less than an hour away.

No shortage of gyms available. Likely if you're working downtown there will be one availble in or near the building you're in.
Statistically Calgary gets 3-4X the snowfall that Toronto gets. Toronto's winters switch between cold/snowy and mild/wet/sunny so you get plenty of variance as well.

The problem with Calgary weather - is that not only do you get significant variance in the winter, you get it all year round. It's probably the only major city in the North America where it can snow in the summer.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:17 PM

377 posts, read 1,695,337 times
Calgary has CrossIron Mills now - which in my opinion is better than West Ed.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberated in TO View Post
Statistically Calgary gets 3-4X the snowfall that Toronto gets. Toronto's winters switch between cold/snowy and mild/wet/sunny so you get plenty of variance as well.

The problem with Calgary weather - is that not only do you get significant variance in the winter, you get it all year round. It's probably the only major city in the North America where it can snow in the summer.
That's the problem with statistics, they keep track of things...

Climate Normals & Averages | Canada's National Climate Archive

Snow:
Toronto 115.4 cm/year
Calgary 126.7 cm/year

Total Precipitation:
Toronto 792.7 mm/year
Calgary 412.6 mm/year

Days with Precipitation >= 0.2 mm:
Toronto 145.5
Calgary 113.6

So Calgary gets about three inches more snow a year, and Toronto gets an extra month's worth of rainy days and an extra foot and a quarter more rain.

I can see how that equals 3-4x the snowfall in that new Ontario math...

Old 01-07-2013, 02:15 PM

Good info guys, what is DT Calgary like? big buildings? how is like compared to vancouver Downtown wise ?How hard is it to drive in the snow? especially with a commute?

is it a fun city? or sort of fun? is the cowboy stereotype overblown?

Old 01-07-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberated in TO View Post
Calgary has CrossIron Mills now - which in my opinion is better than West Ed.
How is it better? I mean west edmonton mall has rides and a water park, I have been there and I loved it

Old 01-07-2013, 02:59 PM

654 posts, read 1,495,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
How is it better? I mean west edmonton mall has rides and a water park, I have been there and I loved it

West Edmonton Mall really hasn't changed since your last visit. In other words it's hasn't evolved and is not the "destination place" it once was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary