U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 08:10 PM

203 posts, read 423,138 times

Advertisements

I have a major dilemma right now and am desperately looking for advice, so here goes. I have two potential job offers, one in Vancouver, one in Calgary....both for roughly $100k/year, same bonus structure and everything else. Obviously, I know Van has a higher cost of living, but how much disposable income would I be losing if I chose Van over Calgary. I would love to live in Vancouver, but.....I don't want to lose my ability to travel twice/year (NYC, LA, Chicago etc). Obviously I'd rent if I moved to Van, but most likely buy in Calgary. One more, thing, I know Van is bigger and more metropolitan than Calgary, but I must say, these days Calgary seems very busy, especially downtown during the week....is it possible Calgary has more buzz than Vancouver?

When I started researching both cities I knew Vancouver would be the clear winner, but the more I research, the better Calgary looks, and the scales are tipping more in favor of Calgary.....I can't decide, any thoughts?? I'd be moving there single, late 20's, so I'd be looking for friends (which city has more transplants, young professionals) and obviously single women, and a downtown/urban lifestyle. I want Vancouver to work, I am trying hard to convince myself...am I crazy?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 04:17 AM

292 posts, read 390,617 times
As far as finances go, some things to keep in mind:

Top marginal tax rate for $100k in AB: 36%
BC: 38.29%

So about $2k difference in net income.

Sales tax is 5% in AB, 12% in BC.

An idea of how much things might cost:

Calgary is about the same as Vancouver :: Cost of Living Comparison
Cost of Living Comparison Between Calgary, Canada And Vancouver, Canada

Average home prices:

CBC News - Real estate map

Vancouver: $731,595
Calgary: $435,032

Old 05-05-2013, 08:37 AM

210 posts, read 618,427 times
I say go to Vancouver, because it's obvious that's where you really want to be!

If you find in the future that you can't afford to live there, look for work in Calgary again. There are plenty of jobs out there right now.

All the best!

Old 05-05-2013, 11:05 PM

250 posts, read 532,464 times
I am a young professional in Calgary. Many of my peers would love to move to Vancouver, but the double hit of a higher cost of living and a probable pay cut makes the move difficult. If you can get the same pay in Vancouver, you've won half the battle.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:25 AM

The more I read about Calgary, the more it looks like the better of the two cities. Vancouver clearly has problems with vagrants, drugs, crime and poverty. But it does have amazing weather (by Canadian standards), great access to skiing and hiking (although so does Calgary), great restaurants and scenery. But man, I don't miss those -30C winter days/blizzards that Calgary has to deal with.

I think when you drill down to it, you want to be surrounded by good people in a friendly atmosphere. For me, what's more important in a city are the people, easiness to make friends and meet singles, you can always avoid winter a little by taking a trip or two to Cabo or Arizona in the wintertime. Vancouver has a lot of posts and articles about the loneliness and 'aloofness' (akin to the Seattle freeze) of people, even by reading user comments you can see this is a widespread issue among it's residents. I never found this to be a problem in Calgary, it always seemed like a friendly place. I will continue to research and look for the pro's and con's. Thanks!

Old 05-07-2013, 12:40 PM

210 posts, read 618,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizkitgto View Post
The more I read about Calgary, the more it looks like the better of the two cities. Vancouver clearly has problems with vagrants, drugs, crime and poverty. But it does have amazing weather (by Canadian standards), great access to skiing and hiking (although so does Calgary), great restaurants and scenery. But man, I don't miss those -30C winter days/blizzards that Calgary has to deal with.

I think when you drill down to it, you want to be surrounded by good people in a friendly atmosphere. For me, what's more important in a city are the people, easiness to make friends and meet singles, you can always avoid winter a little by taking a trip or two to Cabo or Arizona in the wintertime. Vancouver has a lot of posts and articles about the loneliness and 'aloofness' (akin to the Seattle freeze) of people, even by reading user comments you can see this is a widespread issue among it's residents. I never found this to be a problem in Calgary, it always seemed like a friendly place. I will continue to research and look for the pro's and con's. Thanks!

Calgary's winters can be brutal, but they can also be a breeze. The last two winters have been fairly mild. The biggest complaint is that we don't have defined seasons. Spring does not start in March. It can but often we go from Winter weather - straight to Summerish weather. We do have very Sunny winters though!

All the best in your decision.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:24 AM

10,715 posts, read 22,321,366 times
I wold spend sometime and visit both and see if you like one better than the other and the areas you may want to move too and get the feel for the cities before making a decision.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:57 AM

241 posts, read 602,741 times
I've lived in Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal, Toronto, Seattle and have visited Vancouver many times. I love Vancouver, but I think if you are looking for somewhere to settle long term that Calgary is the best option. The proximity to Canmore and Banff is very nice and there are many local parks as well. I believe it is now the youngest city it Canada.

I am now living in SoCal (I earned it after 2 years in Edmonton) and making less money than I did in Canada, especially after taxes. I have come to realize that it is all about what is important to you and what you are willing to sacrifice to be in an area that is desirable to you. Vancouver living is akin to living in California in terms of housing and taxes...depends what you want.

If I were to move back to Canada it would be to Calgary or Kelowna. It simply is not feasible to live in downtown Vancouver long term in a house (unless you want a small condo) given the current housing market.

Right now is not the best time to buy a home in either city. Check out the areas around 17th St. and Kensington in Calgary...not as great as Vancouver, but it's a decent compromise if you are worried about the cost of living.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:32 PM

115 posts, read 107,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizkitgto View Post
I have a major dilemma right now and am desperately looking for advice, so here goes. I have two potential job offers, one in Vancouver, one in Calgary....both for roughly $100k/year, same bonus structure and everything else. Obviously, I know Van has a higher cost of living, but how much disposable income would I be losing if I chose Van over Calgary. I would love to live in Vancouver, but.....I don't want to lose my ability to travel twice/year (NYC, LA, Chicago etc). Obviously I'd rent if I moved to Van, but most likely buy in Calgary. One more, thing, I know Van is bigger and more metropolitan than Calgary, but I must say, these days Calgary seems very busy, especially downtown during the week....is it possible Calgary has more buzz than Vancouver?

When I started researching both cities I knew Vancouver would be the clear winner, but the more I research, the better Calgary looks, and the scales are tipping more in favor of Calgary.....I can't decide, any thoughts?? I'd be moving there single, late 20's, so I'd be looking for friends (which city has more transplants, young professionals) and obviously single women, and a downtown/urban lifestyle. I want Vancouver to work, I am trying hard to convince myself...am I crazy?

I lived 16 years in Vancouver and have been in Calgary for the past 10 plus 3 in the early 80's.
IMHO, Calgary is best for a lot of reasons, best of which is MANY more sunny days than Vancouver.
You also have the Calgary Stampeded here. There is a reason they call it the greatest outdoor show on earth.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:27 PM

There are so many great responses on here, thanks! I still can't decide. I have already lived in Calgary, and loved it there, the skyline is becoming more and more prominent every year, a thriving city on the upswing. I have no issues going back. I'm still unclear of what to do, I would like the opportunity to try out Vancouver, even if it's for a couple years (renting of-course).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary