U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2013, 03:23 PM

3 posts, read 5,503 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to Calgary next month sometime. We are looking for a family oriented type of community. We have a 6 year old and want to get him into soccer or some kind of sports. A place with a community center maybe, for my wife and son to enjoy. Any ideas or things we may need to know before the move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 06:55 PM

anyone?

Old 06-05-2013, 09:12 AM

7,870 posts, read 10,381,920 times
Calgary is pretty open everywhere. Almost every community has recreational activities and sports for the kids. Community centers are fairly limited, although neighbourhood parks and libraries are numerous. You'll find nearly all of the suburbs are very family oriented, similar to a MPC in the US, without the crazy HOA's.

Check out;

Calgary Tuscany Community Home Page

New Calgary Communities - Auburn Bay Overview New Calgary Communities at LiveBrookfield

The City of Calgary - Recreation - more than you think!#

Old 06-05-2013, 11:07 AM

Thank you! From what I understand Calgary is a nice place to live. Very excited to go.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:47 PM

210 posts, read 619,385 times
Welcome to Calgary!

The community of Tuscany, in NW Calgary is very popular and already has a couple of schools, shopping market and a great community centre. Sadly, many newer communties don't have those ammenities yet.

Do you have a specific area of the city in mind? Price? Desired commute time?

Old 06-05-2013, 07:45 PM

3,401 posts, read 1,835,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes4 View Post
Thank you! From what I understand Calgary is a nice place to live. Very excited to go.
It's okay. Having been raised on Edmonton winters, I'm still enjoying Calgary's. If you're a Californian, you're in for a novel couple of years before you get used to it. It's Canadian weather, variable, not as nice as BC, not as awful as the plains.

Avoid commuting into downtown. If you must commute by car, consider living closer to downtown and commuting away from it. Avoid the Deerfoot. You'll understand when you arrive. Calgary is an incredibly expensive place to park. The only thing worse than parking downtown is driving downtown. Happily, the train system is pretty good and getting better (runs on wind power generated in the foothills too, which is nice) and the bike paths in this city are world-class.

The Calgary Stampede is pretty popular. It's effectively a city-wide festival, quite big. It's based on the local farming and ranching's annual shows, and now it's huge and has of course morphed into the urban cowboy, let's-all-wear-hats-and-big-belt-buckles-to-our-office-jobs. Parades, amusement parks, tons and tons of alcohol and free food flowing. Multiple concerts too. I'm told it's a lot of fun, but in the 15 years I've lived here I've never bothered to find out because I consider country music an oxymoron. Stampede week is when I go to the mountains.

The mountains. Are you a skier? Hiker? Interested in the ultimate in Sunday driving territory? There's nothing like living this close to the mountains. People come from all over the world to play in our back yard for a very good reason. There's a lot of parkland within the city too, in fact there's a provincial park in the city and I can't imagine that's common. Lots of suburbs probably means lots of soccer leagues and baseball teams and all that (not my area of expertise). Overall it's a great city if you're into physical activities and I'm sure you'll have no problem filling up your son's time in the summer and winter. Six or seven is probably just right to start learning to play hockey.

Canada's more expensive in general than the US, and Calgary's expensive for Canada. For instance, I look outside right now and see gasoline is, in US terms, US$4.77/gallon. Luckily there's a good amount of money to be made here as well (it's oiltown).

And Calgary is conservative, too (it's oiltown). Alberta as a whole votes consistently Conservative and has for decades, and Calgary is their stronghold. Our PM is a conservative evangelical Christian who made his career as an economist working in the oil industry. Where's he from? Calgary, of course. His riding's in spitting distance of my home. I know because I've tried. Still, I think we're pretty far left of what would pass for "very conservative" in the states. We have, in my opinion, a very good mayor.

There's a middling music scene here, but I guess that depends on what you're into. Most of the bigger acts I care to see usually find their way here. The Folk Music Festival features the occasional artist I'd pay to see. But there are always a lot of smaller festivals on throughout the summer. A bit of ethnic food, some music, usually some small parade. SalsaFest, CariDays, ReggaeFest, that sort of thing. No Fringe Festival, which is a shame.

Crime seems pretty low to me. I just looked, and 2011's crime rate was the lowest it's been since 1972 so I guess it's not just me.

So overall I guess I'm pretty happy here so long as I know where and when to drive, and don't have to deal with too much snow on the roads in winter. I feel pretty lucky to be living this close to the Rockies. Could do with Kelowna's climate, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary