U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2014, 03:01 AM

3 posts, read 10,229 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

We are from Vancouver and planning to move to Calgary this April,2014, My husband is HVAC journeyman and i am an esthetician.

We are kinda interested around Chestermere area and i would like to know how far is from Chestermere to Downtown Calgary?

What is the average income for me and my hubby?

Where is the best/safe place to live in Calgary?

Thanks in the advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 10:42 AM

681 posts, read 1,276,456 times
The drive from Chestermere can vary depending on time of day and weather. Non-rush hour traffic it will take you 25 minutes or so... throw in some snowy/icy roads and rush hour and you might be looking at an hour.

Calgary is a very safe city. In general the NE quadrant of the city and downtown has the greatest amount of crime... most of this crime is property crime (B&E's and car prowlings).

The best place to live is the place that is close to where you work in conjunction with what you can afford! Housing isn't cheap here - but coming from Vancouver, you are likely used to sky high housing prices. There are some nice new communities in the far NE that are a lot more affordable, Chestermere is a nice little town but isn't any less expensive than Calgary and in my opinion - not any nicer.

Average income - no idea.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:10 PM

250 posts, read 532,686 times
I prefer Calgary to Chestemere. Chestemere might be a little bit less quiet, but I'm not (personally) a fan of the man made lake...and living outside the city will add to your drive.

Do you plan on working downtown? If so, parking costs should be considered when deciding where to live. Parking in downtown Calgary is very expensive...typically 20-45 per day. Few employers provide parking passes, and this adds up pretty quickly. Therefore living in an area with reliable transit is important to many Calgarians. Generally, train is the best, but the single digit bus routes are also quite frequent. As far as I know, Calgary transit does not serve Chestemere.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:39 PM

Thanks for the reply, we will start driving tonight to Edmonton for 3 days and 1 weeks in Calgary just to look how it look like. @mikeinalberta we are not planning work in downtown. once again thanks for the input

Old 01-31-2014, 09:41 AM

681 posts, read 1,276,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ycres View Post
we are not planning work in downtown.
Since you aren't planning on working downtown - I wouldn't place much emphasis on distance to downtown. There are restaurants, pubs, shops in all quadrants of the city, so you likely wouldn't have much need to travel downtown on a regular basis.

Most of the "trendy" areas are central - but not downtown necessarily. Your money really goes much further in suburbia. Also... if you are looking for a smaller town (since you mentioned Chestermere), other nice towns that surround Calgary are: Airdrie to the north, Cochrane to the West and Okotoks to the south. All are about the same distance to downtown Calgary as Chestermere, give or take 20 minutes.

Communting to downtown from any of these towns during rush hour is horrendous - but as you have said that you don't intend to work downtown, this shouldn't be a barrier.

Have a great trip!

Old 02-01-2014, 04:58 AM

Thanks for the information @TiredOfyycCold, this is really helping us a lot we will definitely going to check all of them, we will work with one of the realtor in Calgary so we will see what is meant for us

Old 03-11-2014, 01:08 AM

1 posts, read 3,068 times
I work and live in the Panorama area in NW Calgary and is the place where a lot of families are wanting to live. Im not sure if you have children but we have parks, schools, shopping and an express transit that takes you straight into DT, all within the community which are walking distance. I would check out some new homes by either Excel Homes or Cardel Homes as they still have opportunity for you to build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycres View Post
Hi Guys,

We are from Vancouver and planning to move to Calgary this April,2014, My husband is HVAC journeyman and i am an esthetician.

We are kinda interested around Chestermere area and i would like to know how far is from Chestermere to Downtown Calgary?

What is the average income for me and my hubby?

Where is the best/safe place to live in Calgary?

Thanks in the advance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary