U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-26-2014, 06:48 AM
 
Location: between three Great Lakes.
1,630 posts, read 1,783,139 times
Reputation: 5384

Advertisements

"...in Montreal for the past 8 years and I am afraid the economy and the political situation are not doing very well"

"...we wanted to move also in Calgary because of the political issue..."

What is this "political situation/issue" posters are referring to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-26-2014, 07:32 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
20,571 posts, read 25,620,517 times
Reputation: 8094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Medic View Post
What's your point
My point is that common courtesy and an openness to adapting to like in your new home goes a long way in making yourself feel good about it.

This works in Montreal as well as it does in Calgary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2014, 07:33 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
20,571 posts, read 25,620,517 times
Reputation: 8094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
"...in Montreal for the past 8 years and I am afraid the economy and the political situation are not doing very well"

"...we wanted to move also in Calgary because of the political issue..."

What is this "political situation/issue" posters are referring to?
The issue of Quebec separating from Canada. (On the backburner for now.)

The issue of the relative places of the French and English languages in everyday life in Montreal.

Stuff like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2014, 02:39 PM
 
30 posts, read 63,144 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by monomania View Post
I'm thinking of moving out of montreal too as i cant find a job. However wife doesn't want to take the risk of leaving without lining a job first. Street Medic did your move work out just fine? How do you personnaly compare Calgary to Montreal?
My move went great. My wife had reservations about moving as well, but she has been happy, and has lined up several job interviews. Being a Paramedic I had no trouble finding a job before I even made the move.

I love Calgary so far, the abundance of parks, and natural beauty continues to amaze me. It doesn't have the nightlife Montréal does, but I am passed my nightclub days anyways. I have a strong dislike for Quebec so making the move was a no brainer for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2014, 02:56 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,551 times
Reputation: 10
People sometimes do not see the reality of Calgary. Calgary is a very very expensive city, where every single year people from different provinces and around the world are coming in. Last year alone, 40,000 people came to Calgary. The job market is not as good as it used to be couple of years ago. Tons of people want to move to Calgary, as they think this is the Canada's dream city, where all is good...but it is not. The rent, the houses prices are so high, too much speculation. The weather in Calgary is crazy, always it is unpredictable, very long, cold and cruel winters and almost no summer. Here is good when you work in a permanent position for an oil and gas company, which pay decent salaries with very good benefits to offset the high prices here. Be aware that in order for people to work in the oil and gas industry, they have to have networking, it is key. Unfortunately, people do not believe this kind of comments, they go to Calgary and then they prove by themselves the reality. Not always money is the king. In Calgary, indeed you might make more money that in Montreal, but you pay much more too. It is always relative what people want to get. The best analysis before taking a decision of moving to Calgary, people should consider some variables, such us, rent, weather, universities (reputable universities), food, public transportation, networking, and so on. Hope it helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2014, 08:39 PM
 
30 posts, read 63,144 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fereder22 View Post
People sometimes do not see the reality of Calgary. Calgary is a very very expensive city, where every single year people from different provinces and around the world are coming in. Last year alone, 40,000 people came to Calgary. The job market is not as good as it used to be couple of years ago. Tons of people want to move to Calgary, as they think this is the Canada's dream city, where all is good...but it is not. The rent, the houses prices are so high, too much speculation. The weather in Calgary is crazy, always it is unpredictable, very long, cold and cruel winters and almost no summer. Here is good when you work in a permanent position for an oil and gas company, which pay decent salaries with very good benefits to offset the high prices here. Be aware that in order for people to work in the oil and gas industry, they have to have networking, it is key. Unfortunately, people do not believe this kind of comments, they go to Calgary and then they prove by themselves the reality. Not always money is the king. In Calgary, indeed you might make more money that in Montreal, but you pay much more too. It is always relative what people want to get. The best analysis before taking a decision of moving to Calgary, people should consider some variables, such us, rent, weather, universities (reputable universities), food, public transportation, networking, and so on. Hope it helps.
Quebers pay the highest taxes in North America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2014, 11:58 PM
 
4 posts, read 7,476 times
Reputation: 10
Hi !

I lived in Montreal and Quebec for 28 years. I worked as a Medical Techologist for about 6 years. I was fed up with this province, and I decided to live in Japan for 2 years.

Canada is my country, and I want to come back. But I don`t want to work in the province of Quebec anymore.

I was thinking about Calgary. My main question is this.

I am a Medical Technologist and my GF is a nurse.

How is the health care system ? Is it relatively easy to find a job in this field? I looked on the internet and salaries are interesting.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2014, 05:17 PM
 
30 posts, read 63,144 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by labiere View Post
Hi !

I lived in Montreal and Quebec for 28 years. I worked as a Medical Techologist for about 6 years. I was fed up with this province, and I decided to live in Japan for 2 years.

Canada is my country, and I want to come back. But I don`t want to work in the province of Quebec anymore.

I was thinking about Calgary. My main question is this.

I am a Medical Technologist and my GF is a nurse.

How is the health care system ? Is it relatively easy to find a job in this field? I looked on the internet and salaries are interesting.

Thank you.
Hi, I lived in Montreal for 30 years, and work as a Paramedic in Alberta now. I can't say to much about a Medical Technologist, but I know the province is always looking for qualified nurses, and AHS seems to pay some of the highest salaries in the country. I suggest you check out www.albertahealthservices.ca to get more information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2014, 07:13 PM
 
4 posts, read 7,476 times
Reputation: 10
Thank you !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2014, 02:39 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,388 times
Reputation: 10
Montreal is cool
Calgary is just cold

Live style in Montreal rocks
Live Style in Calgary socks

Salaries in Montreal socks
Salaries in Calgary rocks

Roads in Montreal are not even 3th world class, is better to walk
Streets and roads in Calgary are awesome, but urban landscape is boring.

If you come to Calgary is just for the money.
Better to forget all the fun you had in Montreal. The goo news is that you can save money in Calgary to escape from Boring-land once a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top