Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 04:37 PM

681 posts, read 1,560,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
I may do that but I need a permanent place. I enjoy driving. these stories of expensive parking downtown I am not sure what to do. Even if I got a place downtown I still may need to park at work.

Typically what do most downtown workers use to get there and park? or do they all take the trains?
A combination: Train, bus, walking (if they live downtown), biking, car-pooling (would have to organize this within your office) and driving. Some companies provide parking for their employees, obviously this is a significant benefit... others just suck it up and pay. Depends on how important it is to you to be able to drive to work and how much you make!

The rate I quoted for "average" parking is for those that have a regular parking spot. If you just drive downtown and try to find a parking spot, you will pay on average $25/day which works out to $600/month and that's if you can find a spot. At Bankers Hall it's $45/day or $5/half hour.... just brutal...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 04:44 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,897,581 times
Hmm I will find out if this employer has parking, there are over 250 people so Im assuming they must have something for the staff.

Now you think if chose the NW it would be easier than the SE cranston/ Mckenize town and all that to get downtown?

Also I read online that SE is growing fast and there will be new shopping and new urban development in an are called "Seton" is that like a new mall or new suburb growing down there?

Old 05-19-2014, 07:31 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,285,161 times
I lived in McKenzie Towne and worked downtown, both as a commuter and with parking. Alot depends on your schedule. There's a bus that runs from McKenzie straight to downtown, but it only runs a few repititions. I usually drove to either Somerset or Chinook and took the train.

Don't bet on your employer providing parking downtown.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Hmm I will find out if this employer has parking, there are over 250 people so Im assuming they must have something for the staff.

Now you think if chose the NW it would be easier than the SE cranston/ Mckenize town and all that to get downtown?

Also I read online that SE is growing fast and there will be new shopping and new urban development in an are called "Seton" is that like a new mall or new suburb growing down there?
Seton is a new community/suburb. Honestly... I would pick McKenzie Towne before a community that is even further south like Seton or Cranston... but once again that's just my opinion.

There are enough amentities in the centre of MacKenzie Towne that you can get everything you need right in your community - it's a really nice little "towne centre" and there are bigger strip mall type of malls within a 5 minute drive. I like McKenzie Towne, but you are at the mercy of Deerfoot trail traffic.

I wouldn't say the NW would be easier than the SE to get to downtown during rush hour... unless you are parking your car at a C-train station or walking to a C-train station and taking transit downtown. Driving downtown during rush hour, as I mentioned before, will also be challenging from the NW because of the volume of traffic on Crowchild Trail (which has the added burden of traffic lights). It's a slow moving parking lot during rush hour - both morning and night.

You really need to just come here and decide for yourself... and as mikeyyc states - don't count on your employer providing parking unless you are an executive.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I lived in McKenzie Towne and worked downtown, both as a commuter and with parking. Alot depends on your schedule. There's a bus that runs from McKenzie straight to downtown, but it only runs a few repititions. I usually drove to either Somerset or Chinook and took the train.

Don't bet on your employer providing parking downtown.
Do you remember the names of the Bus that took you downtown? Somer set of CHinook? are those trim stops? what are their full names?

Old 05-19-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Do you remember the names of the Bus that took you downtown? Somer set of CHinook? are those trim stops? what are their full names?
Somerset and Chinook. They're train stations. The bus, if memory serves is the 117.

Calgary Transit Website

Here's a complete transit map;

http://www.calgary.ca/CS/IIS/Documen...f?noredirect=1

Old 05-19-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Somerset and Chinook. They're train stations. The bus, if memory serves is the 117.

Calgary Transit Website

Here's a complete transit map;

http://www.calgary.ca/CS/IIS/Documen...f?noredirect=1
Thanks I will look at this. Also which direction is Calgary growing North, South, East or West? Articles online say South. Some say south Calgary is the fastest growing are of Canada is that true?

Calgary has lots of land and can grow in any direction it seems.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks I will look at this. Also which direction is Calgary growing North, South, East or West? Articles online say South. Some say south Calgary is the fastest growing are of Canada is that true?

Calgary has lots of land and can grow in any direction it seems.
It's growing in all directions - but the south appears to be growing the fastest. We are pretty much at the Western City limit in all of the SW and a small part of the NW - so in order for more growth to occur in the West, more land would have to be annexed from Rocky View county.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:01 PM

Why is not growing North? or at least not as much?

I read online that south will have new urban development does that mean new employer buildings? I read somewhere that they plan to have the south to be a new " city center" or some soft of focus like another downtown or something to that extent. Is that true?

I am from BC but I live in Toronto, the last time I was in Calgary was 2002.

Last edited by Swan Dive; 05-19-2014 at 02:18 PM..

Old 05-19-2014, 04:34 PM

Can't really go any further west due to the Reservation and the MD of Rocky View/Springbank/Cochrane. East is just bald ass prairie, and generally less desirable since there's little geographical relief. North you have a growing and substantial city in Airdrie, plus the airport and Nose Hillthat gets in the way of the continuity of everything. That leaves south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary