U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-17-2014, 11:39 AM
 
1,626 posts, read 3,114,210 times
Reputation: 360

Advertisements

What is best quadrant to live in for a guy that's 34. I have no kids or anything.

is the NW the best or the southern ones? is Auburn bay nice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-17-2014, 12:41 PM
 
873 posts, read 756,275 times
Reputation: 553
SW no contest especially for singles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2014, 01:33 PM
 
1,626 posts, read 3,114,210 times
Reputation: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
SW no contest especially for singles.
why is that?, I don't know if I can afford those high end areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2014, 03:04 PM
 
873 posts, read 756,275 times
Reputation: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
why is that?, I don't know if I can afford those high end areas.
Well they are expensive especially Mission but it's close to everything and most single people live there. NW is nice too just avoid the NE/SE areas near Forest Lawn and Dover as those areas have a higher crime rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2014, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Calgary, AB
681 posts, read 1,275,773 times
Reputation: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
What is best quadrant to live in for a guy that's 34. I have no kids or anything.

is the NW the best or the southern ones? is Auburn bay nice?
It depends where you will be working. There are nice areas in all of the quadrants... but more so in NW and SW. Traffic in Calgary is brutal - so finding a home that is a reasonable commute to your place of employment should be a larger concern.

Auburn Bay is nice - but it's really on the far south edge of the city and is more family oriented.... very typical suburbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2014, 08:49 AM
 
1,626 posts, read 3,114,210 times
Reputation: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfyycCold View Post
It depends where you will be working. There are nice areas in all of the quadrants... but more so in NW and SW. Traffic in Calgary is brutal - so finding a home that is a reasonable commute to your place of employment should be a larger concern.

Auburn Bay is nice - but it's really on the far south edge of the city and is more family oriented.... very typical suburbia.

I will be working downtown, I don't know if I want to cough up allot for a condo. Many seem to small for the price and I want more room this time. I find that I hardly go out anymore. I am thinking about getting something cheaper with more room but more away from the core. I heard that DT core of Calgary is dead and nothing really goes on there.

I'm not super party animal mr sociable. I really just Loner it most of the time. I work go to the gym for 2 hours then go to sleep. there is not much more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2014, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Calgary, AB
681 posts, read 1,275,773 times
Reputation: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
I will be working downtown, I don't know if I want to cough up allot for a condo. Many seem to small for the price and I want more room this time. I find that I hardly go out anymore. I am thinking about getting something cheaper with more room but more away from the core. I heard that DT core of Calgary is dead and nothing really goes on there.

I'm not super party animal mr sociable. I really just Loner it most of the time. I work go to the gym for 2 hours then go to sleep. there is not much more.
Driving to downtown from the suburbs and home again is a NIGHTMARE in rush hour also the cost to park downtown is the highest in Canada (apparently in North America, only New York costs more). The average monthly parking cost is $473.

You might want to look at Condo's that are close to the C-Train stations and consider taking the C-Train to and from work? Some of the C-train stations have parking lots attached, so you could also drive to the C-Train station, park your car and C-train into downtown. I think parking can be challenging to find though at some of the stations... this is something that you would have to research if you were considering this option.

Maybe have a look at condo's in Rocky Ridge (NW), Arbor Lake (NW), Tuscany (NW), Royal Oak (NW) - these are further out, but close to Crowfoot Crossing for shopping, restaurants... and more importantly, a C-Train station. In the south: Somerset (SW), Bridlewood (SW), Shawnessy (SW)... and Arbor Lake would work, but it is definitely a longer drive to the closest C-train station and I just don't think the area is as nice, but that's a personal opinion.

There are nice condos located along the West leg - but I think they will cost a LOT more than you are looking to pay. I wouldn't even consider the NE... even though it's MUCH less expensive, but once again that's personal opinion and I believe you get what you pay for. The areas immediately surrounding some of the NE C-train stations are pretty sketchy. The newer stations in the far NE are surrounded by much nicer/safer neighborhoods and *might* be worth checking out as they will offer value for money relative to every where else in Calgary.

For the C-Train station locations see map here:
Calgary Transit: Calgary's Light Rail Transit Line
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2014, 12:29 PM
 
1,626 posts, read 3,114,210 times
Reputation: 360
is it easier to get downtown near the river from the NW? what bout mckenize towne cranston and all that? can you get downtown easily from there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2014, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Calgary, AB
681 posts, read 1,275,773 times
Reputation: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
is it easier to get downtown near the river from the NW? what bout mckenize towne cranston and all that? can you get downtown easily from there?
Definitely easier/faster from the NW than McKenzie Towne/Cranston.... both routes are subject to traffic issues though (Crowchild Trail having the largest possibillity of traffic congestion from the NW and Deerfoot Trail from the far SE). During NON rush-hour traffic both roads TYPICALLY move well - but the communities in the NW are also physically closer to downtown than McKenzie Towne/Cranston.

The C-train is closer to the communities that I listed in the NW than the C-Train is to the SE communities you have mentioned. The C-Train to the south really is south-west/south-central.... the SE leg of the C-train is planned, but likely won't happen for a decade or so.

If I were you, I would see if I could rent an extended stay type of hotel/motel for a few months and drive around to the different areas during different times of day to get a feel for what the commute would be like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2014, 03:51 PM
 
1,626 posts, read 3,114,210 times
Reputation: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfyycCold View Post
Definitely easier/faster from the NW than McKenzie Towne/Cranston.... both routes are subject to traffic issues though (Crowchild Trail having the largest possibillity of traffic congestion from the NW and Deerfoot Trail from the far SE). During NON rush-hour traffic both roads TYPICALLY move well - but the communities in the NW are also physically closer to downtown than McKenzie Towne/Cranston.

The C-train is closer to the communities that I listed in the NW than the C-Train is to the SE communities you have mentioned. The C-Train to the south really is south-west/south-central.... the SE leg of the C-train is planned, but likely won't happen for a decade or so.

If I were you, I would see if I could rent an extended stay type of hotel/motel for a few months and drive around to the different areas during different times of day to get a feel for what the commute would be like.


I may do that but I need a permanent place. I enjoy driving. these stories of expensive parking downtown I am not sure what to do. Even if I got a place downtown I still may need to park at work.

Typically what do most downtown workers use to get there and park? or do they all take the trains?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top